Goldsborough gridlock brings ongoing misery to motorists

Queues of more than an hour have been reported once again this week due to temporary traffic lights on the edge of Knaresborough.

Three-way lights have been in place to allow Yorkshire Water to carry out work on the A59 near the junction with the A658, near Goldsborough.

The roadworks began affecting the busy commuter route at the beginning of October and have been regularly causing long tailbacks.

And while there has been some relief, with the lights being turned off at different periods throughout the day, it has inevitably caused traffic chaos.

This week drivers have reported queues all the way back to junction 47 of the A1(M) and beyond.

It has also had a major impact on pupils and teachers getting to and from Goldsborough CE Primary School.

With the roadworks due to last until November 27, many people have expressed frustration on social media.

@northyorkscc Could you ask your Highways Department what the point of the temporary traffic lights are at the Goldsborough/Knaresborough A59 roundabout please? The traffic is currently backed up to the A1 at Allerton Park yet there are no roadworks on the A59!!

— Alan Huddart (@alanhuddart) November 8, 2022

One woman wrote on a Facebook group:

“Not helpful when it’s a guessing game every morning to see if they are on or not going to work in York daily.”

Another added:

“50 minutes it’s just taken me to get from Boroughbridge to King James School!”

The Stray Ferret contacted Yorkshire Water for comment but has not had a response.


Read more:


 

Northern to continue with Harrogate train cuts despite pressure from MP

Northern will press ahead with plans to cancel the 6.07am train service from Harrogate to Leeds, as well as some other services, despite lobbying from Harrogate and Knaresborough’s Conservative MP Andrew Jones.

The Stray Ferret reported this month that the 6.07am service — the first of the day — will be axed from May 15. Some evening services will also be cut.

The early service was popular with business travellers as a way to get to London King’s Cross before 9am.

The decision to cut the service was branded as “disgraceful” by Brian Dunsby, of Harrogate Line Supporters Group.

Urging a rethink

Last week, Andrew Jones MP wrote to the chairman of Northern, Robin Gisby, urging him to “rethink” reductions to the service between Harrogate and Leeds.

Mr Jones wrote that train services in Harrogate had got better over the past decade but cuts could risk losing these “hard-won improvements”.

However, a Northern spokesperson said today that the operator, which is now owned by the UK government, confirmed the cuts will still take place from May 15.

They said the cuts were primarily due to driver shortages and not a reduction in passengers since the pandemic.

However, the spokesperson added Northern will look to reinstate some services during the rest of 2022.


Read more:


The spokesperson said:

“We recognise that some of our customers are disappointed with the upcoming changes to their service. We are sorry for any inconvenience caused.”

“Along with the rest of the industry, some amendments to the timetable will be made from 15 May 2022.

“For the remainder of the year, services will be reinstated where possible with the intention of a larger uplift in December 22.

“These reinstatements will take us more in line with December 2021 service levels although any changes are dependent on several factors. We will share the final plans when we can.”

Brian Dunsby, of Harrogate Line Supporters Group said news that the 6.07am cut would remain was “not good enough”.

He added:

“I was expecting them to keep that one. I’m very disappointed.”