Bride’s disappointment as Harrogate Register Office maintains covid guest limit

A bride-to-be has expressed disappointment after discovering Harrogate Register Office is still imposing covid restrictions on the number of wedding guests.

Deanna Contreras and Sean Wilkinson are due to tie the knot at the register office on May 27.

They have been told the maximum amount of guests permitted remains 32 rather than 55 — which was the number pre-covid.

Ms Contreras, who got engaged shortly before covid struck two years ago, said:

“We were supposed to get married last year but postponed it because we wanted all our family there.

“It never entered my head that the limit would still be 32 people.”

It means the couple have had to restrict family invitations as well as partners of guests.

Harrogate Register Office

The register office on Park Parade.

Ms Contreras, who lives in Starbeck, said:

“We thought ‘let’s wait and have a happy time in 2022’ — and it will be a happy time but this has put a dampener on it.

“I’m not going to get stressed about it. I’m 56 and have been married before but I do feel sorry for young brides.

“I think this is a bit over the top. We can’t keep putting everything on hold for covid.”


Read more:


Last month Ms Contreras wrote to Harrogate Borough Council leader Richard Cooper about the matter.

Cllr Cooper replied to say:

“From my point of view I cannot see what possible justification there can be for restrictions in numbers to be given when all national restrictions have been lifted and the event is three months away.”

He added he would contact the leader of North Yorkshire County Council, which is responsible for the register office, urging it to think again.

‘Reviewing arrangements’

Neil Irving, assistant director for policy, partnerships and communities at the county council, told the Stray Ferret:

“Until April 1 we are required by law explicitly to consider covid transmission risks around public events.

“Government continues to advise that space and ventilation are important factors in minimising covid transmission.

“We are currently reviewing all our arrangements for events such as weddings and to bring in changes from the beginning of April, but for the present we continue to take steps to minimise covid transmission as rates, though falling, continue to be relatively high.”

Harrogate venues warn of dire consequences of tier two

Some of Harrogate’s most popular venues have spoken of their concerns for the future of their staff and businesses if North Yorkshire moves to tier two.

North Yorkshire County Council warned yesterday the county could move from tier one to tier two by the end of the week amid rising covid infection rates.

Martin Greenhow, managing director of the Mojo group, said covid restrictions had already been “catastrophic” for the hospitality sector. He added:

Moving through the tiers is like squeezing hard on the trigger of the executioner’s gun.

“We’ve already seen a reduction in trade of about 70% between pre-covid levels and the introduction of the curfew. Moving into tier two we’re expecting an 80% drop-off in trade, going by other sites’ progress.” 

North Bar in Harrogate is also concerned about the likely impact. Assistant manager Jessica Parkinson said:

We’re worried for the staff, what it means for them, as we’ve already had to cut hours and seen less footfall, which is very sad.” 

However, Simon Cotton, managing director of the HRH Group, whose properties include the Fat Badger, the White Hart Hotel and the Yorkshire Hotel, said the main difference between tier one and tier two for venues was policing. He added:

“Do you look at groups of people and assume that they’re not a family or one household when they actually might be? There are lots of exceptions to the rule, such as meetings. For work reasons you’re exempt, so the rules are open to abuse so easily.

“Staff can politely ask the question but can’t be expected to strictly enforce this as we’re not the police.

“It does rely on the public doing what they should in terms of the government guidelines. It is not up to hospitality to police this.”