The R number, which refers to how quickly the covid virus reproduces, has increased for the second time this week in the Harrogate district.
The number was 0.4 at the weekend but is now 0.6, which means every 10 people infected with coronavirus pass it on to another six.
The latest statistics, however, present mixed messages as the government prepares to announce any changes to tiers tomorrow.
Today’s latest daily figure from Public Health England revealed there had been just 19 new infections in the district.
And the latest seven-day rolling average rate of infection for the district is now down to 82 people per 100,000. This is based on data for the seven days to December 12.
The North Yorkshire average is 101 and the England average is 203.
Read more:
- Covid rate rises again in Harrogate district
- Vaccine to be given at Great Yorkshire Showground next week
While infection rates have been rocketing in London and the south-east, they seem much steadier here.
It seems likely North Yorkshire will remain in tier two when the announcement is made tomorrow.
Vaccine to be given at Great Yorkshire Showground next weekThe Great Yorkshire Showground in Harrogate is to be used for the vaccine rollout from next week.
The first vaccination is due to be given on Tuesday and the programme is expected to last for several months.
The government has asked the 17 GP practices in Harrogate and the surrounding district, including Ripon, Knaresborough, Boroughbridge, Pateley Bridge and Masham to oversee the rollout.
The practices are appealing for volunteers to marshal the car park and signpost patients through the vaccination site at the showground, which is owned by the Yorkshire Agricultural Society.
No details have been given to the media about the rollout but a post on the Harrogate covid co-operation Facebook group yesterday on behalf of the GP practices revealed the news. It said:
“Harrogate and rural district are working together in order to plan for delivering a mass vaccination programme and we need to ask primary care staff and volunteers to help.
“We will need staff and volunteers to undertake a variety of roles and we need to plan for vaccinations to be carried out seven days a week, 8am-8pm, including bank holidays.
“This is a huge ask, but we would like volunteers to indicate if they would be willing to help in some capacity.”
The 250-acre showground has ample car parking and is used to staging large events, most notably the three-day Great Yorkshire Show, which was cancelled this year.
But nothing in the Yorkshire Agricultural Society’s 183-year history compares with the task in hand.
Read more:
- Harrogate researcher finds two-thirds will take vaccine
- Two further covid deaths confirmed at Harrogate Hospital
The GPs’ post today said it required 18 volunteers a day. Morning sessions will start with an 8am briefing and the first jabs will be given at 8.30am.
Morning sessions will end at 1.15pm and afternoon vaccinations will take place from 2.30pm to 6.15pm.
The GPs’ post said:
“Unfortunately we aren’t able to offer vaccinations to volunteers at this stage as we have to prioritise certain patient groups.
“Next week is the first stage of the vaccination programme and we are going to need volunteers from the New Year onwards to fulfil the same types of roles for probably a number of months.”
Anyone interested in volunteering is invited to register their interest and complete the questionnaire here.
R number rises in Harrogate district as tier decision loomsThe rate at which coronavirus is spreading in the Harrogate district has increased for the first time in more than a month.
The R number rose from 0.4 to 0.5 over the weekend after falling consistently since early November.
It means every 10 people infected pass on covid to five others, which means the virus is still diminishing in the district but at a slower rate.
The government is due to review tier levels on Wednesday, with any changes taking effect on Saturday.
It seems likely that North Yorkshire will remain in tier two.
Read more:
- Two further covid deaths confirmed at Harrogate Hospital
- Harrogate district set to get first covid vaccine injections next week
The seven-day average rate of infection for the county is 96 per 100,000 people, compared with an England average of 181.
The figure for the Harrogate district is 78, having peaked at over 300 early last month.
Starbeck has taken over as the district’s covid hotspot, with 21 infections in the lasts even days.
Knaresborough central is next highest with 14, followed by Knaresborough north with 13.
Harrogate researcher finds two-thirds will take vaccine
A poll conducted by researchers in Harrogate has found that two-thirds of people will take the coronavirus vaccine when it becomes available.
The YourPoll survey found 67% said they would take the vaccine and 26% said they would not. The remaining seven per cent were undecided.
Of those who said no, 15% thought coronavirus was a hoax. The rest of the responses highlighted safety concerns and the need for further testing.
The snap poll of a random sample of 439 UK people was conducted in the three days prior to the first coronavirus vaccine on December 8.
Priority groups in the Harrogate district are expected to start receiving the jab this week, although details have not yet been confirmed.
Read more:
- Harrogate district set to get first covid vaccine injections next week
- NHS worker becomes first to receive covid vaccine in Leeds
Neil Addley, managing director of YourPoll and its parent company Judge Service, said:
Harrogate district set to get first covid vaccine injections next week“There has been a lot of debate about whether people would be willing to take the new vaccine.
“Our poll was designed to show the true feelings of ordinary members of the public, rather than those who shout loudest on social and traditional media.
“It will be interesting to see whether those results are reflected in the real take-up numbers.”
The first covid vaccines in North Yorkshire will be injected at seven sites across the county next week, it was revealed today.
Amanda Bloor, accountable officer at North Yorkshire Clinical Commissioning Group, gave the news everyone has been waiting to hear at a weekly media briefing of North Yorkshire Local Resilience Forum, which represents all the organisations in the county responding to the pandemic.
Ms Bloor said the sites had been identified but did not reveal where they are.
She said the CCG, which buys medical services for the county, will provide further details when they are finalised.
Ms Bloor described the programme as a “logistical challenge”, but added that it was “fantastic news” that patients were starting to get the vaccine across the country.
Read more:
Planning for the vaccination programme is taking place on a regional level, including East Yorkshire, Hull and North Lincolnshire.
People included in the highest priority category, including those aged over 80 and front line NHS staff, will be the first to be offered the jab.
Ms Bloor said she anticipated that more sites will offer the vaccine in the coming weeks.
She said:
“We are currently in final planning for seven sites across North Yorkshire and York to people in North Yorkshire and York from next week.
“I do anticipate that more sites will come on stream in the following weeks and into the New Year.”
It comes as the first coronavirus vaccines were dispatched to 50 hospitals in the UK as the country embarks on the biggest vaccination programme in British history.
Each hospital received a batch of 975 doses. Leeds Teaching Hospitals Trust, which runs St James’s University Hospital, is the closest to offer the vaccine to Harrogate.
Sylvia Harris, an 80-year-old NHS healthcare worker who joined the trust when she was 26, was the first to receive the jab in the city yesterday.
Covid rate rises again in Harrogate districtThe coronavirus rate of infection for the Harrogate district has increased for the first time in almost a month.
The seven-day average rate of infection peaked at 303 people per 100,000 on 9 November.
It then fell rapidly to 85 on 30 November, according to the data from Public Health England.
But yesterday’s latest figure, which is for the seven days to December 3, showed the rate had gone up on three consecutive days and is now 95.
That is still below the North Yorkshire average of 105 and the England average of 148.
But it does suggest the sharp downwards trend went into reverse before the end of lockdown on December 2.
Read more:
- Thirty two new covid cases in district reported today
- Two further covid deaths reported at Harrogate Hospital
The district’s R number, which refers to the rate at which the virus is spreading, remains low at 0.4.
This means every 10 people infected will pass it on to another four.
Killinghall and Hampsthwaite is still the local area with the most positive cases, having recorded 21 in the last seven days.
Leeds nearest hospital to get first vaccinesLeeds will be the nearest place to receive the first coronavirus vaccines, according to national media reports this morning,
Health Secretary Matt Hancock said yesterday 50 hospitals were ready to receive the vaccine within days.
The Department of Health has yet to publish an official list of hospitals or details of how the jab will be administered. But the names of the 50 hospitals appear to have been leaked to the national media, some of which have published them today.
According to the reports, Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust, whose hospitals include Leeds General Infirmary, is the nearest to the Harrogate district.
The Harrogate Nightingale is not included on the list.
Read more:
- Big take-up for coronavirus vaccine trial in Harrogate district
- Harrogate district ready for coronavirus vaccine rollout
The vaccine must be kept at -70°C until it is used, which means sites chosen to administer it must have adequate storage facilities.
Hancock has also said there will be a community rollout of the vaccine, including GPs and pharmacists.
The Stray Ferret asked Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust if it could confirm it was not on the list.
A spokesman replied:
“Any comment on decisions on which hospitals are on the list would be something for the NHS England regional communications team.”
Nidderdale vicar’s plea to parishioners: ‘Book early for Christmas’A Nidderdale vicar has called on parishioners to book early for Christmas services to avoid disappointment.
Places of worship are allowed to re-open today although people can only interact with their households or support bubbles, and must conform to social distancing rules.
With Advent underway and Christmas approaching, many Christians will be keen not to miss out on festive services.
The Rev. Alastair Ferneley, Vicar of Dacre with Hartwith and Darley with Thornthwaite, said the church was keen to offer comfort and joy after such a difficult year but added:
“We do need to maintain social distancing, so it is essential for people to book in advance for most of our services.
“My message is, please book sooner rather than later for the public Christmas services – not just to avoid disappointment, but also to help our planning.
“If it turns out no one wants to come to a particular service we can save a lot of time and effort on decoration, Christingles, heating, etc.”

Booking in advance for Christmas services across four Nidderdale parishes will help with planning.
The Rev. Ferneley said churches needed to consider issues such as appropriate seating for families and bubbles. He added:
“Parishioners will need to wear a face covering in church and we are sadly not able to sing as a congregation while inside, though we can offer carols sung by a few socially distanced singers and/or on CD.”
Read more:
- Christingle goes virtual in Pateley Bridge
- Pateley Bridge pubs lose out with tier classification
- See how the lights are fantastic in Pateley Bridge
The government has issued new guidance, saying carol singing outside can be part of public worship.
The Rev Ferneley said:
“This is difficult to plan for given the unpredictability of the weather, but we may be able to begin and end services outside so we might have a bit of a sing as part of some of these services.
“We will fully understand if people are not comfortable with coming to services at the moment, which is why we are also offering numerous online alternatives whereby people can join in our Christmas celebrations – either via a live stream or a pre-recorded service.”
For further details you can email Alastair Ferneley at irreverend@btinternet.com.
Harrogate district covid rates fall by two-thirds during lockdown
The Harrogate district is set to end the second lockdown with a far lower rate of covid than when it started.
Government figures today reveal the district has an average seven-day rate of infection of 92 people per 100,000, compared with 277 people per 100,000 on November 5.
This means the rate has fallen by about two-thirds since lockdown began.
The England average is currently 154 and the North Yorkshire average is 107.
The R number has fallen from a peak of 1.6 last month to 0.6 today. This means every 10 people with covid will infect another six.
Public Health England recorded another 18 positive test results today, which is well below the 95 on November 9.
Read more:
- All 285 year 11 pupils at Harrogate Grammar sent home due to covid
- Pateley Bridge: no covid cases for 10 days but pubs stay shut
There were no further deaths reported today at either Harrogate District Hospital or in the district’s care homes.
Killinghall and Hampsthwaite remains the district’s covid hotspot, with 26 infections in the last seven days.
The next highest is Ouseburn, Hammerton and Tockwith with 18.
Pateley Bridge and Nidd Valley, Masham, Kirkby Malzeard and North Stainley and Ripon North and West have not recorded a single new infection for at least seven days.
Pateley Bridge: no covid cases for 10 days but pubs stay shut
According to government statistics, there has not been a single new covid infection for at least 10 days in Pateley Bridge and nearby Nidd Valley.
Yet it seems many pubs in the Nidderdale town, which were hoping for a pre-Christmas boost after a dire year, are set to stay shut on Wednesday when lockdown ends.
Dan Elliot, general manager of the Royal Oak, sums up the frustration:
“Unless we go into tier 1 we will stay shut.
“The rules don’t suit small businesses like us. It seems they are making it viable for big chain pubs but the rules absolutely don’t work for your little country pub like us.”
The Royal Oak, which has four staff, serves meals so could open. But social distancing guidelines make it pointless, says Mr Elliot.
“There’s no way whatsoever to make it profitable.
“We’ve always had a good food trade but it’s more of a drinkers’ pub. For a pub that relies predominantly on locals and drinkers you have no hope.
“Unless you have space for loads of tables, or try and cheat the rules by doing cheap substantial meals, it’s just not viable.”
Read more:
- Just 23 covid infections today as R number falls to 0.8
- Pateley Bridge maintains Christingle tradition for charity
The pub, which spent £300 putting up plastic screens in the bar and also erected sheltering to encourage customers to go outdoors, is a key part of the community.
Takeaway meals served at weekends during lockdown have been a lifeline to many older people.
It plans to continue selling weekend takeaways as well as providing £8 oven-ready Christmas Day meals.
But nobody knows when it will welcome locals, cyclists and walkers back through its doors — and this isn’t easy to accept in a place where there has not been a single new infection for almost two weeks. Mr Elliot says:
“We’ve done test and trace and we have not had any cases yet. I believe only one pub or restaurant in Pateley has had a case and it shut straight away and did a deep clean.
“It does feel a little bit like the blanket restrictions just don’t seem to fit pubs like us.”
Mr Elliot says he isn’t aware of any Pateley pubs that are re-opening.
“Covid had already taken all the enjoyment out of running a pub because we spend more time telling customers off for doing wrong things rather than asking how their day is. Now it’s taken the profitability out of it.
“Eat Out to Help Out was really good but since then it’s just slowly dwindled.
“If we go to tier 1 we could be OK because we could have up to six people at a table so we could have 36 people inside and 36 outside.
“We are expecting a bit of a backlash for not opening when we could but I don’t think people realise it isn’t financially viable.”
The Stray Ferret asked Julian Smith, whose Skipton and Ripon constituency includes Pateley Bridge, what his message was for small businesses struggling in tier two and whether he supported the government approach. He had not replied by time of publication.