North Yorkshire Police is imposing restrictions on officers’ social media accounts that will prevent them posting directly to the public.
The move will have implications for the popular Twitter accounts of Harrogate traffic sergeant Paul Cording and Harrogate traffic constable David Minto, who between them have more than 20,000 followers.
Their tales of life on the road include live traffic updates from accident scenes and details of motoring offences.
But soon they will be unable to post directly to Twitter under their police names.
North Yorkshire Police is centralising its approach to social media by encouraging people to follow its official accounts, rather than those of individual officers.
Officers can still post under their names provided their messages go through official channels first.
Another spot by @NypAnpr and @TC174_NYP & my @NYorksRPG team stop this vehicle near #AllertonPark Driver tests positive for #Cocaine & is arrested. I assisted with bloods in custody & they will be sent to @RSSS_DianeFair for analysis #Fatal4 pic.twitter.com/4NxBO3hYGO
— Sgt Paul Cording BEM (@OscarRomeo1268) March 21, 2021
https://twitter.com/TC174_NYP/status/1372328691338985474
A North Yorkshire Police spokesperson told the Stray Ferret:
“We are reducing our accounts to make it easier for our communities to find the latest updates from North Yorkshire Police and what is happening in their area, as well as enabling us to respond to the issues that matter to those communities more quickly and effectively.
“The changes are not banning anyone from social media. The many officers and staff who already post and share fantastic social media content will move to posting that content across our force wide and district accounts. Some have already started doing this.
“If they wish to they will be able to give their name so the public still know who is the voice behind the post as we know how much their personalities are valued by our communities.”
Sgt Cording told the Stray Ferret he was aware changes are coming but at this stage it was inappropriate for him to comment.
In an interview with the Stray Ferret last year, he said there were “some issues” within the force when he started tweeting in 2011 but increasingly the police had recognised the value of officers engaging directly with the public and showing a bit of personality.
Read more:
- My Year: Policing in 2020 was ‘ to anything before’
- Harrogate police officer’s overwhelming pain after ankle fracture assault
Harrogate police officer’s ‘overwhelming pain’ after ankle fracture assault
A Harrogate police officer has described how he lay in “overwhelming pain” after being assaulted so badly he couldn’t work for six months.
Traffic Constable David Minto suffered fractures and extensive ligament damage to his lower leg when he was attacked by Harrogate man Shane Povey.
TC Minto was attending a report of antisocial behaviour when Povey became aggressive. A tussle followed, and he grappled TC Minto to the floor, twisting his leg. TC Minto said:
“As soon as I went down I knew straight away that my ankle was done in.
“The initial pain was overwhelming. The first 10 or 15 seconds, everything went dark. After a while, I managed to crawl from the road to the path.”
As he crawled to safety, other officers arrested Povey.

David Minto recovering in hospital.
TC Minto, who works in the roads policing group, was taken to hospital where he was treated for a complicated ankle fracture with extensive ligament damage, which had to be pinned.
‘You feel cheated’
He spent one-and-a-half months on crutches with his leg in plaster, then the same time again in a supportive leg brace. He said:
“It was frustrating to not being able to contribute at home, or even move around the house properly.
“I missed out on things I should have been doing with my son and with my family. It’s time that I can never get back. You feel a bit cheated.”
Povey, 38, of Dene Park, Harrogate, was sentenced to two-and-a-half years in prison.
He was convicted of grievous bodily harm against TC Minto, and also the harassment of a woman and possessing a weapon, which accounted for a longer sentence. He received a 10-year restraining order for the harassment.

Shane Povey
The attack took place on 31 July 2019. TC Minto returned to work in January last year on restricted duties until April.
Assaults on police up 45 per cent
Official figures show that in the six months to the end of January 2020, North Yorkshire Police made 104 arrests following assaults against emergency services workers.
But in the same period to late January 2021, 150 arrests were made – an increase of 45%.
TC Minto said:
“It has a psychological impact on you as well as a physical one.
“But you’ve got to get back to work and get on with it. The support returning to work has been great.
“Ultimately, my passion is road safety. I come into work to keep people safe. You’re aware that you can go home having potentially saved someone’s life. Most people you deal with are decent people.
“But I think there is a mindset among some of the public that police officers have to take the risks, and that’s just part of the job.”
Read more:
- Police warning after spate of thefts from cars in Harrogate
- Assaults on North Yorkshire police up 60% during lockdown
North Yorkshire Police Chief Constable Lisa Winward said:
“The attack against TC Minto was deplorable, and although he has now returned to the frontline after a long period of recovery, the impact on him and his family as a result of this assault was immeasurable.
“I have been saddened to see such a shocking rise in assaults over the last year. TC Minto, along with all the officers and staff across North Yorkshire Police go to work each day to protect the public and to serve the communities of North Yorkshire, and any assault against them is unacceptable.”
North Yorkshire Police figures show that in the last month, 36 arrests have been made following assaults on emergency service personnel – an average of more than one a day.