Union escalates dispute over transfer of Harrogate council staff

Union members at Harrogate Borough Council have escalated their opposition to plans to transfer them to a new employer from April.

Five members of staff, working in the information and internal audit services department, were told they would be transferring to shared services group Veritau rather than the new North Yorkshire Council from April.

Now, Unison said it has involved its regional Yorkshire and Humberside office in the dispute after both HBC and NYCC refused to take responsibility for the decision.

Harrogate branch secretary Dave Houlgate said:

“Following the lodging of our dispute last week, which will be heard on Thursday, the borough council has come back to us to say that it was not their decision but that of North Yorkshire County Council using its transition/implementation powers.

“We have asked for some more detail around this but the upshot is that no one seems to want to take any responsibility for the decision.

“That cannot be right. This is incredibly stressful for staff who all along have had an expectation they would transfer to North Yorkshire Council.

“This late change is unfair and is unacceptable.”

The new chief executive of North Yorkshire Council has already said decisions about where staff will transfer to will be made by HBC.

Mr Houlgate said HBC had previously given reassurance to staff that they would not be transferring to Veritau, a shared service group owned by local authorities across Yorkshire and the north east.

He added:

“We can reveal that in August last year, following concerns raised by Unison, the staff were reassured by the borough council that they would be transferring to North Yorkshire Council on April 1, 2023. It remains our belief that the decision is ultimately with the borough council and that the council should stand by what it has previously told its staff.

“Understandably we are pursuing this with both councils, seeking clarity around decision-making, accountability, oversight and where the duty to engage with staff and Unison actually rests.”

Mr Houlgate said Unison would take the dispute to HBC’s human resources committee and had already tabled a question for its overview and scrutiny commission, which is set to meet on February 6 to discuss local government reorganisation.

Unison said it is unable to raise the issue at a full council meeting because HBC is not holding one until March, which will be too late.

The Stray Ferret has contacted Harrogate Borough Council for a response.

The authority previously said audit services for the new authority will be provided by Veritau and that staff had been kept informed throughout the process.

It said staff will transfer on their existing terms and conditions, and will be offered the option of moving to Veritau’s terms.


Read more:


 

Unison raises dispute with Harrogate council after five staff told they won’t transfer to new council

A trade union has opened a dispute with Harrogate Borough Council after five staff at the local authority were told they will not transfer to the new North Yorkshire Council after all.

Harrogate Borough Council will be abolished on April 1 and it was thought all staff except chief executive Wallace Sampson would transfer to the successor authority under TUPE terms.

But Unison said it was “dismayed” to discover five audit services staff had recently discovered they would transfer to Veritau, a shared service group owned by local authorities in Yorkshire and north-east England.

Unison Harrogate branch secretary Dave Houlgate said the staff would switch to Veritau on “detrimental” terms to those who will transfer to North Yorkshire Council.

Mr Houlgate said:

“Staff and Unison have engaged with the TUPE process for well over a year now and our expectation and the expectation of all staff is that they will transfer to the new North Yorkshire Council on April 1 on their existing terms and conditions but with the opportunity to move on to new terms and conditions at the new council, which Unison has negotiated.

“It would seem, however, that the current county council has decided at this very late stage it does not want Harrogate Borough Council staff who work in the area associated with audit services to transfer to the new council but instead has decided that they should transfer to a separate company, Veritau.  Unison opposes this move.”

Our #Harrogate branch has lodged a formal dispute with Harrogate Borough Council after it emerges not all staff will be offered the opportunity to transfer to the new #NorthYorkshire council when the councils come together on 1 April#LocalGov @unisonyh https://t.co/gQt7z5SHxJ

— North Yorkshire UNISON (@NYUnison) January 16, 2023

 

Mr Houlgate said the option of staff not being offered the chance to TUPE to North Yorkshire Council “has never been on the agenda, even though we had raised it as a concern early in the process” and the union was “dismayed by this development”.

He said although North Yorkshire County Council and Veritau wanted staff to transfer directly to Veritau, it was ultimately Harrogate Borough Council’s decision.

“We object in the strongest terms to this late change of plan which shows total disregard for the staff involved, denies them the opportunity to move on to new terms and conditions negotiated and agreed by Unison and ignores established procedures and protocols that are in place.

“Staff in audit services at Harrogate should, as they expect to do, transfer to the new authority and then if there is a need to review how audit services are delivered for the new council then the proper processes should be followed after the transfer.

“Our expectation was that Harrogate Borough Council would stand by its staff and should resist this late change rather than give it the ‘green light’. Our dispute is intended to ensure this happens.”

The Stray Ferret has approached Harrogate Borough Council for comment.


Read more:


 

Hope for improvements to Pannal duck pond despite confusion over ownership

A popular village pond that has turned into a mud bath should begin to improve over the coming weeks.

Pannal duck pond has been in an increasingly poor state over many months amid confusion over its ownership and who has responsibility for its upkeep.

The neighbouring households even received an anonymous, accusatory letter about the pond, signed off “lots of love, the people of Pannal”. It said:

“You and your neighbours have an obligation, indeed, a duty, to remedy this frightful carbuncle and provide a rejuvenated habitat for the boundless wildlife that exits [sic] on and in the surrounding area.

“You need to collaborate with each other and devise an action plan before there is no wildlife left at all – come on!! Start talking to each other and do something about it. Don’t be fat and lazy – put your backs into it and you’ll soon have it looking like it used to!

“Put on your wellies and clean-up for heaven’s sake – remove the traffic cones, the endless plastic bottles, the drinks cans – it’s an utter disgrace and should be thoroughly ashamed of yourselves.”

However, one of the neighbours, Clare Waligora, posted the letter on Facebook and gave the community an update on the pond, explaining its ownership and upkeep are not as straightforward as the letter writer appeared to believe.

Her husband Brian told the Stray Ferret a solicitor had looked into the situation and even he could not establish the pond’s ownership. While the neighbouring households pay an annual fee for an indemnity policy, it was not clear what their obligations were for long-term maintenance.


Read more:


Mr Waligora said there was an old water wheel with a sluice that used to help with drainage, but it had not been in use for many years. Silt has since built up in the pond, leading to preventing natural drainage and reducing the pond’s capacity.

The nearby households opened a sluice gate to try to allow some of the accumulated debris to clear slowly. Then, last week, heavy rain washed it away in one day and left the pond almost completely drained.

Mr Waligora, who has lived next to the pond for almost 16 years, said:

“Now is the time to do something, but lot of companies wouldn’t even quote because of the access to the pond being so difficult.

“We managed to get one quote of £20,000, but they said it could go up if they were to encounter any issues.”

Pannal duck pond has been in a poor state amid confusion over its ownership

Mr Waligora said while there was willingness among the neighbouring houses to try to make improvements, that quote was more than they were able to spend.

However, he said they had since received an email from the Environment Agency concerned about the condition of the pond. Mr Waligora is now hopeful the homeowners can work with the agency to find a solution.

He said although it had been unpleasant to receive the anonymous letter through the door, the response from the community had been very supportive.

“I admit during the summer it looked awful and particularly since the heavy rain where it cleared out centuries of debris and created a bit of a stream through there.

“We’ve closed it back up and it should start filling up when we get a heavy rain. We’ve been pleased, despite the letter where the person seemed to represent the Pannal community, most people are appalled and made it clear they had nothing to do with it.

“Almost everyone has been much more helpful which is particularly reassuring for all of us. Since we’ve posted that, everyone I’ve spoken to has been positive and encouraging and willing to help.

“The ownership is a bit of a grey area, but we live around here and we want it to look good like everyone else. We’re willing to put a disproportionate amount of time and money in because we see it more than anyone else but it’s not straight forward.”

Consultation on bid to join bridleways in Harrogate’s Crimple Valley

A decade-long bid to join two bridleways on the rural edges of Harrogate could finally come to fruition this year. 

North Yorkshire County Council is consulting on a creation order, which would enable it to join up bridleways 61 and 129 in the Crimple Valley. 

The link between the two would be created via a stretch of former railway line on the Rudding Park estate, which its owners agreed could be designated a bridleway in 2014. 

Sue Rigby, who represents the Byways and Bridleways Trust and has been involved in the Opening Up Crimple Valley campaign from the outset, told the Stray Ferret: 

“The whole point of the Rights of Way Network is that it is a network and it makes sense. It’s a much-needed and historic route and it was there long before any of us. 

“Particularly for riders, they are extremely brave to use the roads around there. The riding school takes disabled children out too. To have somewhere for them to go rather than into the road is so important.” 

The current proposal, which would create a circular route, has been widely supported by walkers, horse riders and countryside organisations. However, it has been held up because of a piece of land, measuring just a couple of metres wide, which would be needed to create the final link. 

The owner has so far refused to give permission for the bridleway to cross the 2m stretch of land. People using bridleway 61 alongside the Crimple Viaduct continue to find the path comes to an abrupt halt before it joins the former railway. 

A map showing bridleways in the Crimple Valley

Bridleway 61 (blue) and bridleway 129 (orange) could be joined by a stretch of former railway line on the Rudding Park estate (green) despite objections over a short stretch of land (red).

Mark Mackaness, owner of the Rudding Park estate, who has worked with the council and local supporters to plan the bridleway link, expressed his frustration that the process had taken so long and was still not complete. 

“This is a tragic example of maladministration and waste of public funds over the eight years since the creation order was first made.” 

Ms Rigby said everyone involved was very grateful for Mr Mackaness and the Rudding Park estate’s generosity. Now, she hoped the struggles of the last decade could be set aside and the aim could finally be achieved.

“People lose faith in the system when things don’t work, especially with something as obvious as this. But we are now all positive and hopeful for the future.”

‘Long-standing issue’

Michael Leah, NYCC’s assistant director for travel, environmental and countryside, said: 

“We are currently carrying out a consultation to inform a decision on whether to make a creation order under s26 of the Highways Act 1980. 

“If made, the order would record a short length of bridleway to connect bridleway no 61, which runs under and alongside the Crimple Viaduct, with bridleway no 129, which runs along a section of old railway line and was dedicated as a public right of way by the Rudding Park Estate. 

“This has been a long-standing issue, and a decision will be made once all views have been considered as part of the consultation.” 

The consultation currently being held over the creation order closes on Tuesday, March 22. Anyone who wants to take part can email their views to NYCC’s definitive map officer Ron Allan at ron.allan@northyorks.gov.uk. 


Read more: