The director of Harrogate Convention Centre has said the loss of the 15-day International Gilbert and Sullivan Festival will have a “limited additional economic impact” on hotels in the town.
Festival directors Janet and Neil Smith announced last week they will stage next year’s event at Buxton Opera House in Derbyshire from July 29 to August 12.
Harrogate’s Royal Hall had hosted the festival, which attracts thousands of visitors from around the world, since 2014. It provided a major boost to the town’s hospitality sector.
The directors claimed the cost of the Royal Hall had doubled and that no compromise had been forthcoming. By contrast, Buxton Opera House had “pulled out every stop to accommodate the festival,” they claimed.
The absence of Gilbert and Sullivan aficionados for 15 days will be keenly felt by numerous Harrogate hotels, bed and breakfasts, bars and restaurants. But Paula Lorimer, director of the convention centre, said the summer timing would reduce the impact.
Ms Lorimer also said the event had received “a discount of over 90% on venue hire”.
Read more:
- Major blow to hospitality sector as Harrogate loses 15-day festival
- Police start two-week speeding crackdown in Harrogate district
In a statement, she said:
Major blow to hospitality sector as Harrogate loses 15-day festival“Over the past eight years, Harrogate Convention Centre and the Royal Hall has been proud to have supported the Gilbert and Sullivan festival to the tune of over £200k of in-kind services and support.
“We have also supported the festival with a discount of over 90% on venue hire.
“We tried to explore with the organisers how their event could change to reduce the costs to the venue however the organisers wished to retain the same event with the same levels of support despite dwindling numbers attending.
“Our feedback from the hospitality sector indicated that the timing of the festival, in the middle of the summer holidays, was at time when hotels are generally at capacity resulting in limited additional economic impact from the festival.
“We regret to see them leave but respect their commercial decision and wish the festival all the best for their future.”
The International Gilbert and Sullivan Festival is to be moved from Harrogate to Buxton after the organisers claimed the cost of the venue doubled.
The Royal Hall hosted the event annually from 2014, except when it was cancelled due to covid.
It attracted thousands of visitors from around the world and provided a major summer boost for Harrogate’s hospitality sector.
But next year’s 15-day event will be held at Buxton Opera House in Derbyshire from July 29 to August 12 instead.
Bernard Lockett, one of the festival organisers, said:
“Last week, festival directors Janet and Neil Smith were presented with Harrogate Convention Centre‘s new costings for 2023, which would see overall costs double, making the festival in its present form impossible to stage. With no compromises forthcoming, there was sadly no option but to leave the town.
“The decision was not taken lightly. The festival has invested heavily in growing the festival in the town, and we know our visitors, who travel from all around the world every year, will certainly miss Harrogate, and particularly the magnificent Royal Hall.”
Read more:
- 10-day Gilbert & Sullivan Festival returns to Harrogate
- 45 former CNG staff in £210,000 tribunal win against Harrogate firm
An email from the organisers to festival supporters last week said Buxton Opera House, “pulled out every stop to accommodate the festival, ensuring a sustainable future for this important event”.

The event moved to Harrogate in 2014.
The festival was first staged in Buxton in 1993 before moving to Harrogate. The email said:
“We are immensely sorry to leave so many fantastic friends in Harrogate and the magnificent Royal Hall theatre.
“Buxton is, and always will be, the spiritual home of the International Gilbert & Sullivan Festival. We are excited to return and look forward to seeing everyone there next year.”
The Stray Ferret has approached Harrogate Borough Council, which manages the Royal Hall, for comment.
10-day Gilbert & Sullivan Festival returns to Harrogate
The 10-day International Gilbert & Sullivan Festival is returning to Harrogate this year, in a major boost for the town’s economy.
Harrogate hosted the event annually from 2014 until last year, when it was cancelled due to covid.
The festival, which will take place from August 8 to August 18 at the Royal Hall, attracts thousands of visitors from around the world.
Covid restrictions require the productions to be adapted to ensure the safety of performers, audience and backstage staff.
Janet Smith, festival director, said:
“After the horrible year we have all endured, we cannot wait to get back into the theatre.
“Our seating plan in the theatre is socially distanced, and only 40% of the usual Royal Hall seats are available, so we expect tickets to sell out quickly.
“We will have to wait to hear the government announcements about easing restrictions on June 21, when hopefully we will be allowed to open up more seats.”
The National Gilbert and Sullivan Opera Company will open proceedings with HMS Pinafore.
Other highlights include Simon Butteriss directing and starring in The Mikado. The opera company will also bring along a brand-new production of Patience.
Read more:
- Harrogate bed and breakfast diversifies to survive coronavirus
- Jimmy Carr first confirmed show at Royal Hall
Charles Court Opera will present its production of Iolanthe and Charles Court Opera also give two performances of its new G&S Express.
Forbear! Theatre, directed by Rachel Middle, will bring two productions of The Pirates of Penzance and The Yeomen of the Guard.
For something completely different, on August 6, Simon Butteriss will premiere The Diary of a Nobody comedy.
There will be an additional fringe programme of morning talks, masterclasses and afternoon concerts.
Tickets go on open sale from May 5 and can be ordered on 01422 323252 or online at www.gsfestivals.org.