Three village schools near Harrogate and Knaresborough have agreed to work in partnership in a move leaders say will benefit pupils and staff.
Goldsborough Church of England Primary School and Sicklinghall Community Primary School formed the Goldsborough Sicklinghall Federation in 2015.
Now the federation has entered into a less formal “collaborative agreement” with Admiral Long Church of England Primary School at Burnt Yates.
The move will see federation executive headteacher Zoe Ellis also become executive headteacher at Admiral Long in September and work across all three sites.

Admiral Long Primary School in Burnt Yates.
A letter from to parents from Cerys Townend, chair of the federation’s governing board, said it was “approached by the local authority to enter into a collaborative agreement with another small school”.
It added the move “provides an exciting new opportunity to learn and develop as well as building the financial resilience of all three schools”.
The letter said the schools “share core values rooted in Christian beliefs and practice” and “high quality learning opportunities”. It added:
“By sharing knowledge, expertise, and resources, the schools can enhance their educational offerings and provide a more enriching experience for their pupils.
“Collaboration enables the schools to pool their strengths, resulting in a wider range of learning opportunities, improved teaching practices, and a more comprehensive curriculum.”
Admiral Long is 11 miles from Goldsborough and 10 miles from Sicklinghall.
‘Exciting opportunity’
The Stray Ferret asked the council why the collaboration was happening and what impact it will have on staffing and finances.
Amanda Newbold, assistant director for education and skills at the council, replied in a statement:
Trial date for ex-Harrogate headteacher charged with making indecent images of children“This is an exciting opportunity for Admiral Long CE Primary School to work in collaboration with the Goldsborough Sicklinghall Federation, led by executive headteacher Zoe Ellis and her team from the start of September.
“The collaboration will help the schools to work together, share expertise and resources for the benefit of pupils, staff and the wider school communities.”
A trial date has been set for a former Harrogate headteacher who is charged with two counts of making indecent images of children.
Matthew Shillito, 42, denies making 20 Category B images and 3,723 Category C images between December 3, 2012 and December 31, 2015.
He will appear before Harrogate Magistrates’ Court for trial on July 21, 2022.
A case management hearing at the magistrates’ court last Friday confirmed the date.
Shillito was remanded on conditional bail until the date of the trial.
He was appointed headteacher of Harrogate’s Western Primary School in 2019.
He was previously headteacher across the Goldsborough Sicklinghall Federation of schools.
North Yorkshire Police said in a statement in September 2021 that none of Shillito’s alleged offences related to his employment.
Read more:
- Police investigate serious crash on Cold Bath Road
- £6,000 worth of antiques and collectables stolen from Ripon shop
- CCTV appeal for four men following attempted theft at Harrogate iStore