The 50th Stray bonfire will take place on November 6 after Harrogate Borough Council gave organisers the green light.
The Stray Ferret revealed last month the event was set to go ahead. Now the news has been confirmed.
Harrogate District Round Table was forced to cancel last year’s display due to coronavirus restrictions but it is now preparing for the event to return at its usual spot alongside Oatlands Drive.
Round Table volunteers hope to raise £8,000 to pay for fireworks and additional costs, such as first aid and traffic management, and have set up a gofundme page.
Any extra money generated though the fundraiser, and on the night, will go to Friends of Harrogate Hospital.
A spokesperson for Harrogate District Round Table said:
“This will be the 50th year Harrogate Round Table has run the Stray charity bonfire and fireworks event and, with your help, we want to run an amazing event the whole community can enjoy.”
Read more:
Insurance problems make Stray bonfire event a ‘huge gamble’
Organisers behind the annual bonfire and firework display on the Stray fear that putting the event on this year would be a “huge gamble”.
The Harrogate District Round Table, which was forced to postpone its 50th anniversary display last year, is currently weighing up the risks.
Although all coronavirus restrictions are set to be lifted well before November, large event organisers are struggling to find insurance in case they need to cancel again.
This has prompted many to postpone plans for another year.
So the round table, which is a charity run by men aged between of 18 and 45, may have to spend thousands of pounds that it may never get back.
Read more:
- Covid forces cancellation of 50th anniversary Stray bonfire
- Harrogate’s new green look has residents seeing red
The charity was unable to hold its annual beer festival this year so it has already missed out on an opportunity to generate income.
Ben Taylor, who works to recruit new members, told the Stray Ferret:
“We are currently working with Harrogate Borough Council. If we submit plans now then they have to follow all the social distancing guidelines in place currently.
“So we will have to wait until the restrictions ease before we do anything.
“I think it is fair to say that it is a risk putting the event on this year because there is no protection. It’s a huge gamble really.”
The round table is also on the lookout for new members. The group is for young men to make friends and help the local community. Interested? Click here.