Film about the Troubles to premiere in Harrogate next week

A documentary about an ex-British army intelligence officer in Northern Ireland during the Troubles will premiere in Harrogate next week.

The Man Who Knew Too Much is billed as an “in-depth look at the smoke and mirrors world of intelligence, psychological warfare and fake news through the eyes of a man who stood proudly at the centre of that world”.

Directed by Michael Oswald, It tells the story of Colin Wallace, who was a senior information officer in the British army.

Wallace worked in a psychological warfare and propaganda department in Northern Ireland called Information Policy. Its job was to spread fake news, scare people and smear politicians to divide and create conflict amongst communities.

After refusing to work in areas he believed undermined democracy he was accused of leaking classified documents and made to take voluntary redundancy.

He was later framed for murder and sentenced to 10 years in prison — although the sentence was quashed on appeal 15 years later after the Home Office coroner admitted his report had been influenced by a member of the intelligence community.


Read more:


Directed by Michael Oswald and run in association with Harrogate Film Festival, the film will be shown at the Odeon in Harrogate on May 27 at 7.30pm. Tickets are £5.

The film won Best Investigation and Reporting Documentary in the Harrogate Film Society Festival Features competition and online programme.

Harrogate Film Festival founder Adam Chandler said the premiere was “great news for the town”, adding:

“It’s fantastic that Harrogate Film Society and Harrogate Film Festival have managed to collaborate to bring this premiere to Harrogate.
“It’s an intriguing documentary with bags of insight – I hope everyone enjoys it – it’s fantastic to be back in the cinema!”

The festival is usually a 10-day event but this year a series of mini-festivals between April and September are being held. This is one of the few events able to go ahead in person following the easing of restrictions.

 

 

Hollywood director stars in Harrogate Film Festival this week

The Harrogate Film Festival returns this week and will start with an exclusive interview with Hollywood director Oliver Stone.

Oliver Stone directed the film JFK about the assassination of American president John F. Kennedy, which was nominated for eight Academy Awards, including best director.

The festival is returning for its fifth year this Friday, April 23, with numerous events. The festival is being held differently this year with a series of mini festivals between April and September.

This year is also the 30th anniversary of JFK. Prior to the virtual screening on Friday, there will be a 30-minute question and answer with Mr Stone.

Talking about the film, Mr Stone said:

“In the United States we did $70 million alone, for a three-hour eight-minute film. It’s extraordinary as in that era we didn’t have three-hour movies because we had lost that with the roadshows back in the 50s. So, to make a film of this length and be successful it was an amazing, amazing breakthrough.

In many ways, it was the climax to a strange film career that I’ve had.”

The JFK event is part of the festival’s Independent Filmmakers Competition which offers a platform for up and coming filmmakers.


Read more:


Festival director, Adam Chandler, said:

“As ever, Oliver is open and candid with his answers. He doesn’t shy away from giving difficult answers to the questions put to him in the interview and he covers so much ground in the 30 minutes.”

Mr Chandler said all of this year’s events will run in-line with covid restrictions. If these are eased the events will still stream online as well as in person.

When restrictions ease in May, the JFK event and Independent Filmmakers will be re-run in cinemas.

Hollywood director Oliver Stone to star in Harrogate Film Festival

A Hollywood director is to star in one of Harrogate Film Festival‘s headline events when it returns for a fifth year.

Oliver Stone directed the film JFK about the assassination of American president John F. Kennedy, which was nominated for eight Academy Award nominations, including best director.

The film will be screened online on April 23 and be followed by a question and answer with Mr Stone. It is the 30th anniversary of the political thriller’s release.

Festival director Adam Chandler said:

“We are beyond thrilled to be welcoming Oliver Stone to the Harrogate Film Festival. JFK is an amazing piece of cinema that set a high bar for the political thrillers that followed it.”

Organisers said this year’s events have been planned to ensure they’re in-line with covid restrictions.

Unlike the usual 10-day event, this year’s festival will be a series of mini festivals between April and September. It is hoped some of the later events will run face-to-face.

Mr Chandler said:

“Since our 2020 festival, a lot has happened in the world. We have planned the 2021 festival to allow for a fully online event, holding events in person, or a combination of the two.

“We really hope that by running a full schedule of events we can help bring some normality and joy to film fans. Whatever the situation at the time, all events will be streamed online.”


Read more:


The event with Mr Stone is part of the festival’s Independent Filmmakers competition. The four-day event offers a platform for up and coming filmmakers to show their work and attend workshops.

When restrictions ease in May, the JFK event and Independent Filmmakers will be re-run in cinemas in May.

Founded in 2017, the festival has welcomed numerous famous faces and says its aims are to captivate audiences with film education and interactive events.