Police arrest man after ‘series of indecent exposure incidents’ in RiponPolice appeal after man exposes himself to girls in RiponMan denies indecent exposure in Harrogate areaMan arrested after indecent exposure incident in HarrogatePolice seek man after second indecent exposure on Nidd GreenwayMan exposes himself in HarrogateFormer Harrogate solicitor jailed for indecent exposure in Knaresborough

A former Harrogate solicitor has been jailed for four weeks for indecent exposure.

Richard Wade-Smith, 67, was charged with exposing his genitals on Stockwell Lane in Knaresborough.

York Magistrates Court heard the incident happened between May 7 and May 10 this year.

Wade-Smith, who appeared in court via link from HMP Hull on Monday, pleaded guilty to the offence.

He was jailed for four weeks and ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £154 and court costs of £85.

A court document detailing the sentence said the offence was serious because it caused a “distressing experience in presence of children and occurred on multiple occasions”.

It added that Wade-Smith’s guilty plea was taken into account when sentencing him.


Read more:


Wade-Smith, who worked for various law firms in Yorkshire and later ran his own legal service from Wedderburn House, had previously been jailed for breaching a restraining order in December 2022.

The 67-year-old was given the order by York Crown Court after he rammed his car into his wife’s home in Harrogate on Boxing Day 2021 and subjected her to “mental torture”.

He was jailed for 10 months after he breached the order, which banned him from going near his wife’s address, by knocking on her door just four days after being spared jail.

Man jailed for indecent exposure at Harrogate Library

A Knaresborough man has been jailed after admitting committing indecent exposure at Harrogate Library and on Kingsley Drive.

Billy Wood, 30, of Windsor Lane, was charged with committing the offences in summer last year.

He also pleaded guilty to using abusive words with intent to cause fear of violence and two counts of possessing cannabis.

Wood appeared before Harrogate Magistrates Court to be sentenced yesterday.

Sarah Tyrer, prosecuting, told the court the 30-year-old had been reported masturbating in front of staff in Harrogate Library on July 15, 2022.

The following month on August 11, a resident on Kingsley Drive saw a man wearing a white England football shirt across from his house in front of a neighbour’s property.

Reading the witness statement, Ms Tyrer said Wood had been sat on the garden wall and then walked across the driveway.

Wood then proceeded to masturbate in the street in front of the house, the court heard, and the resident called the police.

The witness said:

“I began to feel worried for my neighbour as I was aware she lived alone.”

After arresting Wood, police said the woman was informed of the incident and that she was unaware of his actions.

The 30-year-old was also found to be in possession of cannabis when taken to custody at Harrogate Police Station.


Read more:


Wood was also convicted of using threatening and abusive language towards bar staff in The Crown in Knaresborough in July 2022 after he was refused drinks, which staff suspected were being bought for customers who had already been refused them.

Police also found him to be in possession of cannabis after he was arrested on that night.

Sean Wilson, defending for Wood, told the court the 30-year-old had an undiagnosed mental health condition and that he was a drug user.

Mr Wilson said that the defendant had reduced his drug use and needed mental health support rather than a custodial sentence.

He said:

“He has reduced the amount of substances he has been taking. He does have an addictive personality.”

Mr Wilson added a prison sentence would be “more of a crash to his system” by removing access to drugs, but would not give him the mental health support he needed.

However, Magistrate Ms Allan sentenced Wood to 32 weeks in prison for the public exposure offences and a six-week sentence to be served concurrently for the threatening of violence charge.

She told Wood the sentence was “for the protection of the public”.

He was made to pay a victim surcharge of £154 and £85 in court costs.

Wood was also ordered to sign onto the sex offenders’ register for five years upon release.

Police appeal after man exposed himself to 16-year-old girl in Harrogate

A man exposed himself in front of a 16-year-old girl in Harrogate yesterday afternoon.

Police are appealing for witnesses to the incident, which took place on Wheatlands Road East, between Rayleigh Road and Hornbeam Crescent, at 4.15pm.

The man is described as white, in his late teens, with strawberry blonde short hair. He was around 5ft 9ins tall and described as slim build, wearing baggy clothes, a black hoody and grey jogging bottoms.

A spokesperson for North Yorkshire Police said:

“We’ve launched a full investigation and are asking anyone who witnessed this incident or has any information that could assist to please come forward.”

To provide information to the police, call 101, select option two and ask for David Kaye, or email david.kaye@northyorkshire.police.uk, quoting reference 12220170157.


Read more:


 

Man guilty of indecent exposure at Harrogate library

A Knaresborough man has admitted committing indecent exposure at Harrogate library.

Billy Wood, 30, of Windsor Lane, pleaded guilty to the offence when he appeared before magistrates in York on Saturday.

The incident took place on July 15 this year.

Wood also admitted indecent exposure on Kingsley Drive in Harrogate on Thursday last week.

He pleaded guilty to a third charge of possessing cannabis at Harrogate police station, also on Thursday last week.

Wood was bailed until September 9, when he is due to appear before Harrogate magistrates after a pre-sentence report is prepared.

His bail conditions stipulated that he is electronically tagged and subject to a curfew at home between 9pm and 6am daily.