A developer has reaffirmed that a site mooted for 53 homes in Harrogate has been thoroughly tested for ground contamination — but this has been disputed by a local toxicology expert.
North-east developer Jomast‘s plans to build at Knox Lane in Bilton have been met with opposition from local residents who have raised concerns about the proposals with contamination proving to be particularly contentious.
The application has been before Harrogate Borough Council’s planning committee twice in the last six months.
It was deferred on both occasions as councillors were not not satisfied the land had been thoroughly investigated for toxic materials.
This is because some of the site was previously part of a railway that pulled hoppers and tankers for the gas works in Bilton.
Asbestos was used for installation on steam trains and there are also concerns that tar from coal could still be toxic, posing a threat to future residents.

Knox Lane
However, the developer’s agent, Stephen Courcier, told councillors at a meeting in February that testing for contamination took place across the whole site, including the proximity of the former railway tracks, and showed no “significant levels” of contamination.
But councillors weren’t convinced and ordered the developer to undergo more testing before a decision was made.
After the meeting, Mr Courcier sent an email to the council that has been published on the local authority’s planning portal. It says there would be “no benefit” to further sampling.
He wrote:
“The railway line and its immediate locality were subject to seven exploratory excavations. Therefore, the consultants have advised that the former railway line has been comprehensively assessed.
“Nevertheless, the consultants have produced the attached note that clearly highlights the extent of the testing carried out in proximity to the former railway line and their findings.”
Mr Courcier confirmed to the Local Democracy Reporting Service on Friday the developer’s position on the contamination report had not changed since the email was sent on March 31.
Railway lines
However, a local toxicology expert who lives in the area said he was not satisfied with where the samples were taken from on the former tracks.
Dr Damian Bowen said:
“The land contamination report advises that the proposed development site, including the former railway has been comprehensively tested. Samples taken for contamination analysis however do not target the area of the former railway lines.
“Instead, testing was conducted either side of the embankment, across the open field. Furthermore, analysis was not conducted for all samples taken. The developer has provided no justification as to the inadequacies of the testing strategy. You certainly can’t find anything if you’re looking in the wrong places.“
The email from Mr Courcier to the council also asked if a quick decision could be made on the plans.
He suggested North Yorkshire Council’s first Harrogate and Knaresborough planning committee this month was a potential option.
However, this request was made too late in the day to be considered for the meeting on April 25, according to the council.
North Yorkshire Council’s assistant director of planning, Trevor Watson, said:
“We can confirm that a submission was made on behalf of the applicant on March 31.
“This was received too late to be considered at April’s Harrogate and Knaresborough planning committee meeting.
“Once the submission has been assessed by officers, a report will be prepared and presented to the planning committee at a later date.“