The Stray Ferret is the media partner for the St Wilfrid’s Stars Awards 2024, with our coverage kindly sponsored by Little Bird Made and Grantley Hall.
A prestigous judging panel met today to decide on the winners of the St Wilfrid’s Stars awards for 2023.
The Lord-Lieutenant of North Yorkshire Jo Ropner, Paul Matless of the YMCA, the Dean of Ripon John Dobson, chairman and CEO of Newby Hall Richard Compton, the Mayor of Ripon Cllr Sid Hawke and Stray Ferret director Tamsin O’Brien were all part of the panel that met in Ripon at Thorpe Prebend House.
The judges were all impressed with the number of nominations and the range of community minded people that work hard for the city of Ripon.
There were 11 categories this year taking in areas such as business, culture, tourism and more. The judges also selected an overall volunteer of the year from all of the nominees.
Winners will be at a glittering ceremony hosted by Ripon Cathedral on the evening of Thursday, October 26. Ripon Together organised the event, which made its debut last year.
Jo Ropner, the Lord-Lieutenant of North Yorkshire, said:
“There was a very broad spectrum. It is lovely to see different ages and cultures working so hard in Ripon. It is good for the city that we have an event like this that can give recognition to some of our rising heroes.”
Paul Matless, housing operations manager at the YMCA, added:
“Today has been excellent, this event has brought the local community together and hopefully it will reward all of the work done in the area. We’re looking forward to seeing lots of people celebrating on the big night.
The Very Reverend John Dobson, Dean of Ripon, said:
Harrogate cadet centre reopens after £750,000 refurbishment“The panel this year is really switched on, we’ve got a good cross section of people. It has been quite challenging because we have received so many nominations in all categories.
“There is clearly much talent, much commitment and generosity of spirit in Ripon to celebrate.”
Harrogate’s joint cadet centre has officially reopened following a £750,000 refurbishment of the drill hall.
The centre, on Strawberry Dale, is home to both the town’s army and air cadets and also houses the region’s first virtual reality aviation centre for cadets.
The Reserve Forces’ and Cadets’ Association for Yorkshire and the Humber hosted the official opening by Jo Ropner, the lord-lieutenant of North Yorkshire.
Ms Ropner unveiled the commemorative plaque with representatives of the town’s army and air cadets looking on.
Thursday’s opening was also attended by Harrogate borough mayor Victoria Oldham.

Mayor of Harrogate Victoria Oldham with the RFCA chairman and chief executive.
The funding was provided predominantly by the RAF, with support from the Yorkshire Cadet Trust and the Royal Flying Corps.
RFCA chief executive Jason Wright said:
“The refurbishment of Harrogate joint cadet centre has transformed the experience of the 100 or so local cadets who parade here every week.
“It’s created bright, attractive classrooms, offices for our adult volunteers, a wonderful drill hall and has even made room for Yorkshire’s first virtual reality training centre.
Mr Wright said 28 other cadet squadrons also used the virtual reality training centre.
Mr Wright added:
Lord Lieutenant pays tribute to the Queen from North Yorkshire“We couldn’t be more delighted that the benefits this new development is already bringing to young people in the town and we are delighted that His Majesty’s lord-lieutenant in addition to Harrogate’s mayor have been able to join us for its official opening.”
A tribute has been paid by the Lord Lieutenant of North Yorkshire, Jo Ropner, following the announcement of the death of Her Majesty the Queen.
She said:
“It is with the most profound sadness that I have learnt of the death of Her Majesty the Queen.
“Her unfailing commitment to our country and to the wider Commonwealth throughout the past 70 years has been an inspiration to us all.
“On Her Majesty’s 21st birthday in 1947, the then Princess Elizabeth vowed that her ‘whole life, whether it be long or short, shall be devoted to your service’ in an address broadcast to the Commonwealth, a commitment which was reaffirmed during her Coronation in 1953.
“That her life was so blessedly long, and that her youthful vow was kept so carefully, is an accomplishment for which we, as a county and as a nation, will be forever grateful.”
The Queen’s death was confirmed by Buckingham Palace just after 6.30pm this evening.
She died at Balmoral this afternoon, after it was announced earlier today that doctors were concerned about her health. Her immediate family gathered at the Scottish estate through the day.
Visits to North Yorkshire
Ms Ropner highlighted the Queen’s links to the county over her long reign. She said:
“Her Majesty visited North Yorkshire on numerous occasions, including the Great Yorkshire Show in Harrogate to mark its 150th anniversary in 2008 and the Maundy Thursday service at York Minster in 2012, and the county’s residents always welcomed the Queen with warm enthusiasm.
“I had the privilege of meeting Her Majesty at Buckingham Palace when I was appointed as Lord Lieutenant in 2018, and I know from personal experience that every engagement was conducted with grace and genuine interest, that every person felt the spark from meeting not only their monarch, but a truly remarkable woman whose commitment to her role will be remembered for generations to come.
“On behalf of the people of North Yorkshire, York and Teesside, I shall be expressing my heartfelt condolences to Her Majesty’s family.”
Read more:
Newby Hall’s Jubilee Avenue will be enduring celebration of the Queen’s reign
A new avenue of locally-sourced English oak trees has been planted by Newby Hall’s gardeners as part of the Queen’s Green Canopy project.
The UK-wide initiative is designed to provide a lasting and eco-friendly reminder of the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee year.
A blessing ceremony conducted by the Dean of Ripon, the Very Revd. John Dobson, was attended by the Lord Lieutenant of North Yorkshire Mrs Jo Ropner, and pupils from nearby Skelton Newby Hall CE Primary School.
The children helped to plant the last of the 34 trees that make up the avenue. They and future generations of pupils from the village school, will assist with maintenance of the oaks as they grow to maturity.

The new avenue of English oak will add to the sylvan splendour of Newby Hall
The avenue, south of the hall’s main gates and on a popular walking route for local residents, replaces lime trees that had reached the end of their life.
To be known as Jubilee Avenue, it will provide a backdrop for a bench being supplied by Skelton Cum Newby Parish Council.
Read more:
Grade I listed Newby Hall, which remains in private ownership as the family home of Mr and Mrs Richard Compton. is one of the UK’s finest Adam Houses.
It was first opened to the public in the 1950s and the 2022 season starts on 1 April.
Mr Compton said:
“We are delighted to play our part in enhancing our environment by planting this wonderful avenue of oaks which will not only benefit future generations but creates a legacy in celebration of Her Majesty’s 70 years of service and leadership of our great nation.”
