Police took child protection report ‘personally’, says deputy chief constable

North Yorkshire Police’s deputy chief constable has said officers took personally a critical report into the force’s investigation of child protection cases.

Last week, a report by Her Majesty’s Inspector of Constabulary and Fire and Rescue Services found that the force does not prioritise safeguarding and child protection highly enough.

It said standards of investigation in relation to child protection were poor and arrangements were not “consistently providing either the quality of service or a good enough response”.

Mabs Hussain, deputy chief constable of the force, told a Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner public accountability meeting today that police fully accepted the findings and were keen to improve.

When asked by commissioner Zoe Metcalfe how the criticism in the report impacted on officers, Mr Hussain said:

“Firstly, there was a clear disappointment across the organisation when we received the report. Not because HMIC said what they said about us as a force, but because they have highlighted areas for improvement and flagged areas of concern.

“Nobody who comes to work for North Yorkshire Police comes to work to do a bad job. We have got loads of great people in the organisation.

“We take it personally the fact that we may be letting children down. It’s always quite emotional to our staff and I think it is fair to say when the report first landed there was a huge amount of disappointment that we let children down.”

Mr Hussain added that senior leaders and frontline officers “wanted to know what they could do to make things better”.


Read more:


Meanwhile, Ms Metcalfe said she had been assured that issues identified in the report are being addressed.

She told the meeting:

“It is important to note that the report does say that there is evidence that improvements were underway in November 2021 when the inspection took place and I have been assured by the chief constable that these are being continued at pace and that many of the issues identified are being addressed.”

Lisa Winward, chief constable at the police, reiterated her apology to those that felt let down by the findings in the report.

Critical report

The report said in some cases “highly vulnerable” children went missing from children’s homes, but officers would record those incidents as “cause for concern” rather than missing — which meant officers did not look for them.

Inspectors, who conducted the assessment from November 1 to 12 last year, examined 73 cases where children had been at risk. The report said:

“We assessed the force’s child protection practice as good in 13 cases, requiring improvement in 34 cases, and as inadequate in 26 cases. This shows the force needs to do more to give a consistently good service for all children.”

HMIC made a number of recommendations to the force, which included: