A former Harrogate headteacherhas been spared jail after he was found guilty of making over 3,000 indecent images of children.
Matthew Shillito, 43, repeatedly visited a Russian website where he viewed sexual images of children, York Magistrates’ Court heard.
Shillito, who was appointed headteacher at Western Primary School in 2019, was arrested after police searched his home in January 2020 and seized a Dell laptop and Macbook Pro, on which they found thousands of sexual images of under-age girls.
On Friday, district judge Adrian Lower told Shillito his teaching career was now “in ruins” as he handed him an 18-month community order with 200 hours of unpaid work.
Shillito was also placed on the disbarring lists preventing him from working with children ever again.
Shillito was convicted of the offences last month following a trial at the magistrates’ court. He had denied making 20 Category B images and 3,829 Category C images between September 2007 and December 2015, claiming the illegal images inadvertently found their way onto his devices while he was looking at other photographs online.
But judge Mr Lower found him guilty of both counts and said the evidence against the disgraced former teacher was “incontrovertible and inescapable”.
‘Repeat viewing’
Shillito – who was previously headteacher across the Goldsborough Sicklinghall Federation of schools – had claimed that he was searching for holiday snaps because he had an interest in photography.
He also said he visited several websites for educational purposes because he was “dissatisfied in the way sex education was being taught at school”.
But prosecutor Philip Morris said that Shillito – who was understood to be in a relationship until shortly before his arrest – had visited some of these websites “30 or 40 times”. One of these websites was called ‘Pre-Teen Love’.
He added:
“It is deliberate and intentional, repeat viewing of (indecent) images and (web) pages.”
There was evidence of Shillito viewing the illicit images in 2011 and then again in 2015 when further images and “albums” with titles such as ‘Girls Line Up’ and ‘Girls Love Girls’ were found.
He had used search terms such as ‘Lolita’ while trawling the web for the illicit material, said Mr Morris.
‘Previous good character’
After being arrested in January 2020, Shillito was immediately suspended from his teaching post and subsequently dismissed.
Kevin Blount, mitigating, said that Shillito had since “re-trained in another role” following the collapse of his teaching career.
He added:
“Clearly these are matters that are going to live with him for the rest of his life.”
Judge Mr Lower told Shillito:
“I know you are a man of [previous] good character. You have worked in the teaching profession for a number of years, achieving the rank of being a headmaster and I’ve no reason to [doubt] that you did all that was expected of you in the course of your employment.”
He added, however, that Shillito’s “disgrace is complete” following the discovery of the sordid images.
He said Shillito had a “corrosive, addictive interest” in viewing indecent images of children, adding:
“You will realise… that you are never going to work in the teaching profession again, a profession to which… you gave your all.
“This kind of behaviour is serious and the law-abiding public… would expect me to send a strong message to people like you, that if you are guilty of this behaviour you are going to be punished for it and you can have no complaint about that.”
Imposing the 18-month community order, Mr Lower told Shillito:
“The very fact that you have been found guilty and the consequences that follow from that is probably more punishment to you than anything else [in terms of sentence] I can propose.”
Read more:
- Ex-Harrogate headteacher found guilty of making indecent images of children
- Former Harrogate headteacher ‘repeatedly accessed’ website with indecent images, court hears
As well as unpaid work hours, Shillito will also have to complete 24 days’ rehabilitation activity. He was placed on the sex-offenders’ register for five years and made subject to a five-year sexual-harm prevention order to curb his internet activities and allow police to monitor his online use.
He was also ordered to pay £600 prosecution costs and a £60 victim surcharge.
None of the offences related to Shillito’s employment at any of the schools where he worked.
Detective Constable Andy Lowes, of North Yorkshire Police’s Online Abuse and Exploitation Team, said:
Ex-Harrogate headteacher found guilty of making indecent images of children“North Yorkshire Police is committed to preventing child sexual abuse, helping victims and bringing offenders to justice.
“Those who obtain and distribute child-abuse material directly contribute to the sexual exploitation of children. This is because the children involved are continually re-victimised every time the images are viewed.”
A former Harrogate headteacher has been found guilty of making indecent images of children.
Matthew Shillito, 42, pleaded not guilty to making 20 Category B images and 3,829 Category C images between December 3, 2012 and December 31, 2015.
Shillito was appointed headteacher of Western Primary School in 2019.
He was previously headteacher across the Goldsborough Sicklinghall Federation of schools.
None of the offences related to his employment.
Shillito appeared before York Magistrates Court this morning, where District Judge Adrian Lower found him guilty on both charges.
He said the evidence showed Shillito had a “corrosive, addictive interest in child pornography”.
Read more:
- Former Harrogate headteacher ‘repeatedly accessed’ website with indecent images, court hears
- Ex-Harrogate headteacher denies making indecent images of children
During the case, “making” was defined as knowingly accessing a site that contained an indecent image.
The court was told that there was no evidence that Mr Shillito downloaded the material onto his laptop.
The prosecution opened proceedings at Harrogate Magistrates Court last month and said the indecent images were found on the cache in Shillito’s computer, which could have only have got there had he accessed sites with those images.
Philip Morris, prosecuting, said there were “indicative” terms found on Shillito’s laptop which showed intent to access the images.
Police arrested Shillito and seized two computers at his address on January 4, 2020.
Officers recovered a Dell laptop and a MacBook Pro, which contained a back up from an iPad mini which was not found.
Giving evidence to the court last month, Zoe Warboys, a digital forensic investigation officer at North Yorkshire Police, said that while the defendant may not have been aware of the cache, he could have only got them by accessing the material.
A Russian website named in court was frequently accessed on the Dell laptop, which Ms Warboys told the court was a site which contained indecent images of children.
The site is public and allows users to upload albums of images which others can view.
The court heard how the site was frequently visited on February 26, 2011.
Mr Morris told the court that Shillito visited some of the pages which were “indicative” of possibly including indecent images 30 times.
Shillito repeatedly denied both charges throughout the case.
This morning, District Judge Lower adjourned sentencing Shillito until September 7. He bailed Shillito but warned him all sentencing options would be considered including jail.
More to follow.
Ex-Harrogate headteacher denies making indecent images of childrenA former Harrogate headteacher repeatedly denied in court making more than 3,000 indecent images of children.
Matthew Shillito, 42, pleaded not guilty to making 20 Category B images and 3,829 Category C images between December 3, 2012 and December 31, 2015.
Mr Shillito was appointed headteacher of Western Primary School in 2019.
He was previously headteacher across the Goldsborough Sicklinghall Federation of schools.
None of the alleged offences related to his employment.
During the case, “making” was defined as knowingly accessing a site that contained an indecent image.
The court was told that there was no evidence that Mr Shillito downloaded the alleged material onto his laptop.
The prosecution opened proceedings at Harrogate Magistrates Court yesterday and said the alleged indecent images were found on the cache in Mr Shillito’s computer, which could have only have got there had he accessed sites with those images.
Philip Morris, prosecuting, said there were “indicative” terms found on Mr Shillito’s laptop which showed intent to access the alleged images.
Searches were ‘legitimate’
However, Kevin Blount, defence, told the court that while the terms found on the computers may have been indicative, they were “not conclusive” as they could also bring up legitimate results.
Mr Blount said that a Russian image website named in court, which was accessed on Mr Shillito’s Dell laptop, contained legitimate images, such as travel pictures, as well as illegal ones.
He added that cached images could have been stored on the laptop from parts of a web page which Mr Shillito did not look at.
Addressing the search terms found on the laptop, Mr Blount said that the terms could bring up “legitimate images”.
He pointed to terms such as “Nabokov Lolita”, which he said could have been a legitimate search for the 1955 novel by Vladimir Nabokov.
He said:
“All of those search terms are capable of bringing back legitimate material.”
Cross examination
During cross examination of Mr Shillito, Mr Blount asked him whether he had visited the named Russian site.
Mr Shillito said:
“I visited it a lot. It was just that it was a website full of photographs.
“It was a moderated site. It was a site that had rules.”
Read more:
- Harrogate chef who shot baker found not guilty of causing fear of violence
- Former Harrogate headteacher ‘repeatedly accessed’ website with indecent images, court hears
Mr Shillito told the court that he used the site to look for images he was interested in, such as travel after visiting Croatia in 2011. He said he had also used it for teaching material.
He told the court that while the website was Russian, it was loaded in English and was recommended by technology companies such as Apple as a site to use.
When asked by District Judge Lower if he had seen any indecent images of children, Mr Shillito replied “no”.
He repeatedly denied under cross examination that he had made the alleged indecent images of children.
Summaries of four police interviews with Mr Shillito were also read out in court where he denied the allegations.
iPad disposed
Prosecutor Morris asked Mr Shillito about an iPad mini, which was not recovered by police but a backup was found on a silver MacBook Pro.
Mr Shillito confirmed that he had disposed of the iPad because it was “not updating” and had a crack down the screen. He added that he threw it out during a clear out of his address.
Mr Morris put it to Mr Shillito that he had thrown the iPad out two days before police arrived to arrest him because “he was rumbled”. He denied this and said he was he was not aware that police were coming to his address.
When asked about the number of times he visited pages which were “indicative” of the alleged indecent images, Mr Shillito said he “could not imagine” visiting some of them.
Mr Morris told the court that it was “not just one” occasion that the defendant visited the site.
He said:
“In some cases, you have visited not just once or twice but 30 times.”
The trial was adjourned until August 10.
Former Harrogate headteacher ‘repeatedly accessed’ website with indecent images, court hearsA former Harrogate headteacher repeatedly visited a website which was “indicative” of alleged indecent images of children, a court heard today.
Matthew Shillito, 42, denies making 20 Category B images and 3,829 Category C images between December 3, 2012 and December 31, 2015.
Mr Shillito, of Gordon Avenue, Harrogate, was appointed headteacher of Western Primary School in 2019.
He was previously headteacher across the Goldsborough Sicklinghall Federation of schools.
None of the alleged offences related to his employment.
Mr Shillito appeared for trial at Harrogate Magistrates Court today.
Philip Morris, prosecuting, told the court that the indecent images were found on the cache in Mr Shillito’s computer, which could have only have got there had he accessed sites with those images.
He said:
“It is the prosecution’s case that those images found as they were on the computer cache were present as a result of the user of the computer accessing indicative content on the internet.”
Police seize computers
Police arrested Mr Shillito and seized two computers at his address on January 4, 2020.
Officers recovered a Dell laptop and a MacBook Pro, which contained a back up from an iPad mini which was not found.
Giving evidence to the court, Zoe Warboys, a digital forensic investigation officer at North Yorkshire Police, said that while the defendant may not have been aware of the cache, he could have only got them by accessing the material.
Read more:
- Police to refer man who left four dogs in hot car to RSPCA
- Bystanders smash car window to rescue four dogs in Harrogate
A Russian website named in court was frequently accessed on the Dell laptop, which Ms Warboys told the court was a site which contained indecent images of children.
The site is public and allows users to upload albums of images which others can view.
The court heard how the site was frequently visited on February 26, 2011.
Mr Morris told the court that Shillito visited some of the pages which were “indicative” of possibly including indecent images 30 times.
Meanwhile the defendant’s MacBook contained a backup from an iPad mini, which the court heard was not recovered by police during the raid.
Mr Morris said the backup included search terms which were “indicative” of indecent images of children.
A number of Google search terms were also presented to the court, which the prosecution argued demonstrated an intent from the defendant to access the alleged images.
Denies allegations
There was no evidence that Mr Shillito downloaded the alleged images onto his desktop, the court heard.
Mr Shillito repeatedly denied to the court that he had knowingly accessed indecent images of children.
Kevin Blount, defence, said that while the terms found on the computers may have been indicative, they were “not conclusive” as they could also bring up legitimate results.
The court heard how Mr Shillito had also repeatedly denied accessing the alleged images during police interview.
The trial continues.
Trial date for ex-Harrogate headteacher charged with making indecent images of childrenA trial date has been set for a former Harrogate headteacher who is charged with two counts of making indecent images of children.
Matthew Shillito, 42, denies making 20 Category B images and 3,723 Category C images between December 3, 2012 and December 31, 2015.
He will appear before Harrogate Magistrates’ Court for trial on July 21, 2022.
A case management hearing at the magistrates’ court last Friday confirmed the date.
Shillito was remanded on conditional bail until the date of the trial.
He was appointed headteacher of Harrogate’s Western Primary School in 2019.
He was previously headteacher across the Goldsborough Sicklinghall Federation of schools.
North Yorkshire Police said in a statement in September 2021 that none of Shillito’s alleged offences related to his employment.
Read more:
- Police investigate serious crash on Cold Bath Road
- £6,000 worth of antiques and collectables stolen from Ripon shop
- CCTV appeal for four men following attempted theft at Harrogate iStore
Former Harrogate headteacher denies making indecent images of children
A former Harrogate teacher has pleaded not guilty to two counts of making indecent images of children.
Matthew Shillito, 42, appeared before Harrogate Magistrates’ Court yesterday, September 23.
The two counts include 20 Category B images and 3,723 Category C images, made between December 3, 2012 and December 31, 2015.
A statement by North Yorkshire Police today said:
“We can confirm that Shillito was a teaching professional in the Harrogate district of North Yorkshire at the time of the alleged offences.
“He was immediately suspended from his post when he was arrested in January 2020 and subsequently dismissed.
“Parents can be reassured that none of the alleged offences relate to his employment.”
Shillito was appointed headteacher of Harrogate’s Western Primary School in 2019.
He was previously headteacher across the Goldsborough Sicklinghall Federation of schools.
Shillito was remanded on conditional bail and the case was adjourned for trial at Harrogate Magistrates’ Court on March 4 2022.
Read more:
- Man charged with sex offences at Harrogate district care home
- Arrest warrant issued for man over Starbeck property closure