‘The chance to save a great brand like Slingsby Gin was too hard to resist’Harrogate bakery closes after just 16 monthsDisabled Harrogate man faces eviction from home of 15 yearsDetails of new Harrogate fine dining restaurant and bar emergeHarrogate looks set for new fine dining restaurantThe bookseller spreading the joy of imagined thingsBusiness Q&A: Steve Mulhaire, OwlSunflower Bakery to open on Harrogate’s Montpellier Parade‘High value’ items stolen in Harrogate shop burglary

Cash, high-value clothing and accessories have been stolen in a shop burglary in Harrogate town centre.

North Yorkshire Police said today the theft occurred after 5pm on Thursday, August 24 and before 10am on Friday, August 25 at an address on Montpellier Parade.

Criminals entered the property through a fire door.

Officers are now appealing for witnesses and information.

The force said in a statement:

“We are now requesting the public’s assistance to help establish the full circumstances surrounding the incident.

“In particular, we are appealing for information about anyone acting suspiciously in the area, or anyone seen with branded denim-coloured clothing and leather handbags.

“If you have been offered anything of this nature for sale, officers would be keen to speak with you.”

Anyone with CCTV footage of anything suspicious between the times stated that covers Montpellier Parade/Mews/Street/Hill/Square is urged to get in touch.

You can email kirsty.greenbank@northyorkshire.police.uk or dial 101 and ask for PC Greenbank 1188.

If you wish to remain anonymous, you can pass on information to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Quote reference number 12230161091.


Read more:


 

Plan approved to convert former Harrogate Slug and Lettuce into retail units

A plan to convert the former Slug and Lettuce bar in Harrogate into four retail units and apartments has been approved.

Leeds-based developer Rushbond PLC lodged the proposal to Harrogate Borough Council for the Herald Buildings on Montpellier Parade in September last year.

Built in the 1850s, the buildings were also the headquarters of the Harrogate Advertiser newspaper for much of the last century until it moved out in 1990.

The Slug and Lettuce chain then occupied part of the buildings for nearly 30 years before closing in May 2021

Now the council has approved plans to subdivide the ground floor into four mixed use units, including retail and food and drink.


Read more:


Meanwhile, the upper floors will be converted into five flats.

The plans have been designed by Harrogate-based SPX Architects. Documents say the development would “enhance the area’s reputation” as a destination for independent boutique-style shops.

It says:

“The proposals generate a sustainable, long-term use for the upper floors of this locally designated heritage asset and simultaneously improve its energy efficiency and visual contribution to the area.

“Moreover, the replacement of a large public house and its associated outdoor eating and drinking areas with a scheme providing a complementary mix of small high-quality ground floor retail units to those found on Montpellier Mews, Montpellier Parade and Montpellier Street only serves to enhance the areas reputation as a destination for independent boutique style shops.”

Rebecca Micallef, economy and transport officer at the council, said in a letter to the authority’s planners that the move would help to enhance the area.

She said:

“We are keen to see the opportunity for four new retail units to be developed within this vacant space, to improve the active frontage, attract new businesses into a key town centre location, enhance the quality of the retail offer of the Montpellier Quarter and support the high street economy. 

“The introduction of upper floor residential seems to be appropriate at this location and will add to the vibrancy of the town centre, supporting both its daytime and evening economy.”