Harrogate district MPs silent on Downing Steet Xmas party allegations

All three MPs representing the Harrogate district have declined to answer questions from the Stray Ferret about the alleged parties held at 10 Downing Street and in Whitehall last year.

We asked Andrew Jones, who represents Harrogate and Knaresborough, Julian Smith, who represents Skipton and Ripon, and Nigel Adams, who represents Selby and Ainsty, what they knew about the parties and what reaction they had received on the matter from constituents.

As usual, the three Conservative MPs did not respond.

However, Lord Newby, the Liberal Democrat leader in the House of Lords, who lives in Ripon, did speak out today.

He tweeted:

“Ministers now looking foolish defending PM.

“Why did Allegra Stratton feel she had to go if nothing happened at No 10?

“Setting up narrow enquiry into Downing Street party purely designed to buy time, fools no-one.”


Read more:


It was revealed today that civil servants will launch an official investigation into the alleged parties.

There has been considerable coverage of the issue since the Daily Mirror claimed on November 30 that the Prime Minister and his staff broke coronavirus rules by attending parties at Number 10 in the run-up to last Christmas.

That report said 40 to 50 people attended a party on December 18, when London was in tier three lockdown restrictions.

Under those restrictions indoor mixing was banned and thousands has to spend Christmas away from their families.

WATCH Ripon residents give their views on MP Julian Smith’s £144,000 consultancy work

We went out on the streets of Ripon today to ask people about the controversy surrounding their MP Julian Smith’s paid consultancy work.

Mr Smith, who has represented Skipton and Ripon since 2010, could lose £144,000 under proposals put forward by Prime Minister Boris Johnson.

Mr Johnson wrote to Commons Speaker Sir Lindsay Hoyle yesterday proposing MPs are banned from acting as paid political consultants or lobbyists in order to maintain public confidence in Parliament.

Mr Smith, who earns £144,000 from three part-time consultancy roles, all of which were approved by the Advisory Committee of Business Appointments, would be one of the worst affected MPs if the new proposals come into force.

Mr Smith’s constituents in Ripon today expressed mixed views. Some said it was acceptable because the earnings had to be declared and it was healthy for MPs to have a wide range of skills. Others disagreed and questioned whether his consultancy commitments meant less time working for his constituents.

Watch our video to hear residents’ views.


Read more:


What are other Yorkshire MPs doing to support constituents?

Since the outbreak of coronavirus in the UK, both MPs covering the Harrogate district have kept a low profile on social media and via their websites on work that they are doing in their constituency to help in the coronavirus crisis.

Andrew Jones, MP for Harrogate and Knaresborough, has tweeted or shared other people’s tweets 16 times in the last month and posted 4 times on his website. His four website posts:

In addition, media reports show he:

Julian Smith, MP for Skipton and Ripon, has posted once on Facebook in the last month and has not added any news to his website since January. However, he has a page with links to government advice and support on coronavirus, and has tweeted just over 100 times since March 20th.

In addition, he is quoted in media reports about encouraging people to stay at home over the Easter weekend.

Neither MP responded to a request for details of their activities.

The Stray Ferret looked at other conservative MPs in the surrounding area for comparison:

Kevin Hollinrake, MP for Malton

Among his posts was the following: “I have written to the Chancellor of the Exchequer, Rishi Sunak, calling for tougher measures to ensure that large firms pay their suppliers on time. The letter, which was also signed by 37 cross-party MPs and Members of the House of Lords, urges Mr Sunak to give the Small Business Commissioner the power to fine companies that consistently fail to pay suppliers on time and to make the Prompt Payment Code compulsory rather than voluntary for organisations with more than 250 employees.”

Above is one of his online business surgeries, posted to his Facebook page.

Andrew Percy, MP for Brigg and Goole

Mr Percy says he has been working with councillors to organise a support network and on April 14th formed the Brigg&Goole and Isle of Axholme Constituency Support Group

“I just wanted to assure residents that my team and I remain fully on hand to support residents at this time and we are receiving hundreds of emails, calls and facebook direct messages everyday. Whether it is constituents trapped overseas, questions about the lockdown guidelines or helping people struggling with employment, shopping or business concerns my team and I are doing what we can to help and will do throughout. I am also in close contact with the local hospitals and have been assisting them on a range of issues too. It you need our help we are available via Facebook, email or the office phones on 01405 767969 or 01652 650094.”

Andrea Jenkyns, MP for Morley and Outwood