Family tribute to ‘beloved’ Harrogate hotel murder-suicide victim

The family of a woman who died at the DoubleTree by Hilton Harrogate Majestic Hotel in what police believe to be a murder-suicide has released an emotional tribute.

North Yorkshire Police confirmed yesterday that Chenise Gregory and Michael McGibbon, who were both 29 and from London, were found dead with stab wounds on Tuesday at 10.20pm.

Police are treating the death of Ms Gregory as murder.

Devante Gravesande-Smith, a young barrister from London, has described his cousin Ms Gregory as a “loving and caring person, whose smile would light up a room.” He tweeted:

“Chenise worked as a Child Care Specialist. Throughout her life she touched the hearts of those she worked with as well as her family and close friends.

“As a family we are deeply saddened to learn about the unfortunate circumstances surrounding Chenise’s tragic murder.

“We’re heartbroken to learn that our beloved Chenise was lured to her death at the hands of her controlling and manipulative ex-boyfriend.”

Enquiries into the circumstances around the deaths are ongoing but detectives are treating the death of Ms Gregory as murder. They do not believe anyone else is involved.


Read more:


Temporary detective chief inspector Jonathan Sygrove of North Yorkshire Police’s major investigation team said:

“An investigation into the circumstances around the deaths is ongoing, but the evidence we have gathered at this stage suggests it as a suspected murder-suicide.

“A post-mortem has taken place that has confirmed the couple died from stab wounds. We are treating Ms Gregory’s death as murder and we are not looking for anyone else in connection with the incident.

“This is a very sad case and our thoughts are with their families and friends and this difficult time. We have specialist officers from North Yorkshire Police, supported by specialist officers from the Metropolitan Police supporting the family, and we will work with them as we investigate the circumstances leading to these tragic deaths.”

Debut novelist concocts a murder mystery in North Yorkshire

A retired woman from Harrogate has spent lockdown writing her first novel, Murder After the Matinee, which is now available in stores and online.

Lorna Snowden set the murder mystery in the fictional North Yorkshire village of Ashdale, which is loosely based on Ripon.

The book’s protagonist is Lydia Buckley, a divorcee who moves to the village and becomes the prompt for the Ashdale Players’ production of Aladdin. Shady business dealings, infidelity and a shocking killing ensue.


READ MORE:


Ms Snowden began the novel during the first lockdown and decided to retire so she could spend more of her time writing.

She said:

“The plot had been in my mind for quite a while but when lockdown started I just wrote and wrote. I wrote the entire book in two months.

“My daughter read it after I’d finished and said, ‘have you really written this?’.”

She was recommended to her publisher, Troubador, after an editor enjoyed the novel. She intends to spend the rest of her retirement writing a series to follow on from the first book.

Ms Snowden crafted the plot using her own love of pantomime and experience with the Pannal Players troupe.

Her previous experience of owning a bridal shop will influence her second instalment, Murder Before the Wedding, which she is midway through writing.

Murder After the Matinee is available online from Waterstones and WHSmith and is currently free on Kindle Unlimited.

Harrogate murder suspect appears in court

A 23-year-old murder suspect from Harrogate did not enter a plea today when he appeared at Leeds Crown Court.

Daniel Ainsley is accused of murdering Mark Wolsey, 48, who was found dead inside a flat in Mayfield Grove, Harrogate on March 5.

The case was adjourned for a further case management hearing on July 1, at which Ainsley, of no fixed abode, may enter a plea.

The trial was confirmed to take place on 18 October. Ainsley was remanded in custody until then.

Mr Wolsey was found with serious injuries after police were called to Mayfield Grove just after 10pm on a Friday night. He was certified dead at the scene by ambulance staff.

Extra police patrols were deployed in the area following the incident “to reassure those living and working nearby”.


Read more:


 

Harrogate murder trial set for October

A murder trial following the death of Harrogate man Mark Wolsey will take place at Leeds Crown Court from October 18.

The date was set at a hearing at Leeds Crown Court this afternoon.

Daniel Liam Ainsley, 23, of no fixed abode, has been charged with the murder and is remanded in custody.

He spoke at the hearing only to confirm his name.

A pre-trial preparation hearing will take place in early April.

Mark Wolsey died on Friday at a flat on Mayfield Grove, Harrogate after sustaining serious injuries.


Read more:


 

Harrogate murder suspect named in court

A 23-year-old Harrogate man charged with murder has been named in court this morning.

Daniel Liam Ainsley, of no fixed abode, appeared at York Magistrates Court today, where he did not enter a plea.

Magistrates sent the case to Leeds Crown Court, where it is due to be heard on Wednesday morning.

Mark Wolsey died on Friday at a flat on Mayfield Grove after sustaining serious injuries.

The police released this picture of Mark Wolsey.

North Yorkshire Police said yesterday it had increased patrols in the area but told residents that it was a “contained incident” and that the public was not at risk.


Read more:


The force has appealed for anyone with information to call 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111. The incident number is 12210072144.

Police name Harrogate murder victim and charge suspect

Police have charged a 23-year-old man with murder after a Harrogate man was found dead on Friday night.

Mark Wolsey has been named as the victim, who paramedics pronounced as dead at 10pm on Mayfield Grove.

Mr Wolsey was found with serious injuries before he died and police said they detained the supect “very quickly.”

His family asked police to share the above photo of him and are being supported by specially-trained officers.

Police on Mayfield Grove on Saturday.

The suspect, who is also from Harrogate, remains in custody and will appear at York Magistrates Court on Monday.

North Yorkshire Police has increased patrols in the area but has told residents that it is a “contained incident” and that the public was not at risk.

The force has appealed for anyone with information to call 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111. The incident number is 12210072144.


Read more:


Detective Superintendent Fran Naughton, who is leading the investigation, said:

“Our investigation is well under way and we can confirm this was a contained incident.

“A man is now in police custody and we do not believe there is any wider risk to the public.

“However, many residents will be understandably anxious about what has happened. There will be a greater police presence in the area, which we hope residents will find reassuring, and officers will be working closely with the community.

“Our specially-trained officers are supporting the deceased man’s family at this difficult time.”

Suspected Harrogate murder: police forensics enter home

Police forensics officers entered a home in Harrogate this afternoon where a man is suspected to have been murdered.

A 23-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of murder in the street in Mayfield Grove just after 10pm last night.

A 48-year-old man was found with serious injuries inside a nearby flat and was certified dead at the scene by ambulance staff.

In an update at 1.14pm this afternoon, North Yorkshire Police said the suspect remained in custody and was being questioned by detectives.

There has been a heavy police presence on Mayfield Grove today. An officer has been posted at the door of the suspected crime scene and a procession of police vans have been coming and going. Shortly after midday a forensics team entered the flat.

The police update urged people not to be worried about the “noticeable police presence in and around the area”.


Read more:


Detective Superintendent Fran Naughton, who is leading the investigation, said:

“Our investigation is well under way and we can confirm this was a contained incident.

“A man is now in police custody and we do not believe there is any wider risk to the public.

“However, many residents will be understandably anxious about what has happened. There will be a greater police presence in the area, which we hope residents will find reassuring, and officers will be working closely with the community.

“Our specially-trained officers are supporting the deceased man’s family at this difficult time.”

The police appealed to anyone who was in the Mayfield Grove area of Harrogate on Friday night who saw any suspicious activity to contact North Yorkshire Police by calling 101 and selecting option 1.

If you prefer to remain anonymous, you can pass information to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Please quote incident number 12210072144 when sharing information.

Arrest after suspected murder in central Harrogate

A man has been arrested on suspicion of murder near the centre of Harrogate.

Police were called to Mayfield Grove just after 10pm last night, where they found the 23-year-old suspect in the street.

A 48-year-old man was found with serious injuries inside a nearby flat, and was pronounced dead at the scene by ambulance staff.

The arrested man was taken into custody, where he remained for questioning this morning. Officers were still at the scene of the incident today.

North Yorkshire Police is now appealing for witnesses and information about the incident. Anyone who was in the Mayfield Grove area last night and saw any suspicious activity is asked to call the force on 101.

Alternatively, to report information anonymously, call Crimestoppers on 0800 555111. The incident reference number is 12210072144.


Read more:


 

Man jailed for murder of Harrogate woman

A Bradford man has been jailed for 16 years for the murder of a Harrogate woman.

Dale Tarbox was sentenced at Leeds Crown Court today for the murder of Susan Howells, who was a close friend.

A police investigation started in August 2019 when Susan, who was 51, was reported missing.

North Yorkshire Police passed the case onto West Yorkshire Police after its enquiries suggested she had been in the Bradford area at the time.

Dale Tarbox.

The police elevated the missing persons investigation into a murder investigation after officers failed to find her.

Officers arrested Tarbox in September 2019 in Doncaster and charged with the murder of Susan at his home address in Bradford.


Read more:


Police enquiries led officers to a caravan park when Tarbox was living. A few days later the police found human remains.

Further investigations led to the arrest of Keith Wadsworth, who was convicted of assisting an offender in preventing lawful burial.

Tarbox, 40, of Independent Street in Little Horton, was jailed for 16 years for Susan’s murder and given two years to run concurrently in preventing her lawful burial.

He refused to attend court to hear the sentence.

Keith Wadsworth.

Keith Wadsworth, 61, from Doncaster, was sentenced to three years and seven months for assisting an offender in preventing a lawful burial. He pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing.

Speaking after sentencing, Detective Chief Inspector Vanessa Rolfe, said:

“I hope today’s outcome provides some closure for Susan’s family, knowing that the man who murdered her has been given a significant prison sentence.

“Susan regarded Tarbox as a close friend and someone she could trust, but he showed no regard for her – taking her life in a cold and callous way and then teaming up with Wadsworth to try and dispose of her body.

“He is clearly a dangerous individual and the people of West Yorkshire should feel safer knowing he will be behind bars for many years.”

Police name victim of suspected murder in Harrogate

Police have named a man found dead in Harrogate this week as Aaron Atkinson.

The 38-year-old’s body was discovered at a property in Harrogate in the early hours of Thursday morning.

Two men, aged 46 and 40, arrested on suspicion of murder and robbery, have now been released on bail.

North Yorkshire Police said investigations into the death are continuing and further forensic tests are being carried out, but detectives are treating it as suspected murder. Officers have reassure the public that it was an isolated incident.