Ripon Amateur Operatic Society is finally set to stage Oliver! after a two-year wait and behind the scenes dramas.
The award-winning musical will be staged at Harrogate Theatre from April 20 to 23.
The production was delayed by covid and thrown into some doubt, when RAOS could not contact Crewe-based rights holder MusicScope, to whom a £500 deposit had been paid to secure the rights for the show.
RAOS committee member Hannah Ruddy told the Stray Ferret:
“Over more than a year, we attempted to contact them via the telephone number and email address that is on their website. I made dozens of phone calls and sent at least 15 emails, but there has been no response.
“We even sought legal advice, because without the rights we were facing the prospect of having to call off the show, as well as being out of pocket.”
The Stray Ferret has also attempted to contact MusicScope via the telephone number and email address on their website and, at the time of publication, had not received a response.

Hannah Ruddy says the show will go on despite hold-ups and a financial blow.
In the difficult position it was facing, RAOS contacted MTI, which owns the rights to a newer version of Oliver! and following an initial refusal, the application for the rights to perform the musical was finally approved after weeks of negotiations.
Ms Ruddy said:
“MTI were clearly sympathetic to our situation. We even sent them a picture of the cast and highlighted the fact that these kids had already had so much taken away from them over the pandemic.
“We just wanted them to have something to look forward to and know all the hard work they’d put in hadn’t been for nothing.”
Two-year wait
RAOS, which holds its rehearsals at Ripon Arts Hub, was originally due to stage its production of Oliver! at Harrogate Theatre in April 2020.
Following the first covid lockdown, the show was rescheduled for September 2021. However, Harrogate Borough Council’s need to carry out urgent roof repairs at the Victorian building meant that the show could not go on last year.
Ms Ruddy said:
“Now, we’ve got fingers crossed that we are third time lucky and there are no last-minute dramas. Advance ticket sales are good and we hope that our supporters in Ripon, Harrogate and across the district, will come to enjoy the show.”
For ticket bookings and further information click on https://www.harrogatetheatre.co.uk/whats-on/Oliver
Read more:
Leak at Harrogate Theatre causes last minute cancellation of Kinky Boots
Harrogate Theatre cancelled a performance of Kinky Boots at late notice last night due to another leak at the venue.
Harrogate Operatic Players was due to give its final performance of the musical, which has won six Tony Awards.
The show has taken place nightly in the town since Tuesday and had a matinee and evening performance lined up yesterday.
But the theatre cancelled the evening event at late notice, disappointing theatre goers, after a day of heavy rain.
The cast did come out to perform the finale to a standing ovation.
Harrogate Operatic Players posted on its Facebook page:
“The whole cast and crew are absolutely devastated, especially when their family and friends have travelled near and far to come see this show.“We sincerely apologise to our audience this evening for this inconvenience, we know how much you were looking forward to see us in action.“For those who came tonight and gave us a standing ovation just for singing the finale number to you, thank you so much for your positive reaction, seeing you all up on your feet and dancing made us feel like we had 100% support behind us.”
Second recent leak
The theatre said on social media a leak on stage had made the venue unsafe and apologised to customers.
“Unfortunately an onstage leak has made it unsafe to continue despite the company and the theatre’s best efforts.”
We’d like to extend our apologies to the audience, cast and crew of Kinky Boots for the late cancellation of the performance this evening. We know the huge effort, dedication and passion that goes into community performances and decisions to cancel are not taken lightly.
1/2
— Harrogate Theatre (@HGtheatre) February 5, 2022
It isn’t the first time the Victorian theatre, which is undergoing roof repairs, has called off a show due to a leak.
The recent pantomime season was also affected.
Work to replace the 121-year old theatre roof has been taking place since May. It was due to finish in September but this was put back to March.
Comments on the theatre’s Facebook page included:
“So gutted but also sad for the cast, safety comes first. You could tell they were devastated.”
And:
“I really feel for everyone involved as I know how much the last night is looked forward to and enjoyed by all.”