Councillors have handed extra time to a developer to draw up a ground stability report for 30 homes in Ripon.
Wetherby firm Newett Homes received planning permission in February to build 30 homes at Springfield Close. Its previous bid to build 38 homes was refused.
But Harrogate Borough Council‘s decision was conditional on the company producing a satisfactory ground stability report within four months. Ripon is a notorious area for sink holes.
The borough council’s planning committee yesterday awarded a four month extension for Newett Homes to produce the report.
Council officers told the committee that refusing the scheme at this point would be “counterproductive”.
Gerard Walsh, planning officers, told councillors that the developer had made progress with the report.
He said:
“We have had a look at the information submitted and the progress that has been made and think it would be counterproductive to refuse the application at this point.”
Becky Lomas, planning agent for the developer, told the committee that delays with the report had been caused by delays in resourcing and workloads.
She said:
“We are committed to bringing this site forward.
“Unfortunately, like a lot of the industry at the moment, we have been caught up in delays due to resourcing, capacity and high workloads and as such the contractors could not get on site as quickly as anticipated.”
She added that she felt the report could be provided to the council “sooner rather than later”, but that the extension had been requested to account for any further delay.
Councillors approved the extension, which will see a deadline set for October 2022 for a ground stability report to be submitted to the council.
Read more:
- £1.4m Georgian house owner threatens legal action over Ripon homes
- Council set to carry out ground stability work at Ripon Leisure Centre
Developer given extra time on 30-house scheme in Ripon
A developer looks set to be given extra time to complete a report into ground stability for a 30-house scheme in Ripon.
Wetherby firm Newett Homes received planning permission in February to build 30 homes at Springfield Close. Its previous bid to build 38 homes was refused.
But Harrogate Borough Council‘s decision was conditional on the company producing a satisfactory ground stability report within four months. Ripon is a notorious area for sink holes.
The report has yet to be produced but next week’s council planning committee looks set to grant Newett Homes a four-month extension.
A council officer’s report to the planning committee recommends it awards extra time but adds that if the report is not produced in another four months “the application be refused” due to concerns over unstable and contaminated land.
The report says:
“The applicant been progressing site investigations to determine the ground stability of the site but has been unable to complete the ground stability report within the specified four-month period, due to extensive lead-in times for the various elements of the necessary work.
“They are therefore seeking an extension of time for a further period to allow the works to be completed.”
It adds that given the amount of work that has already been carried out “it would be counterproductive to refuse the application at this stage, as it would result in additional unnecessary work for both the local authority and the applicant and could delay the site coming forward”.
Read more:
- £1.4m Georgian house owner threatens legal action over Ripon homes
- Ripon teacher dies after falling on hike in Italian Dolomites
The report concludes:
“It is therefore proposed to permit an extension of time to allow for the continuation of on-site works required to prepare the full ground investigation report.
“The recommendation is to extend the period to 30th October 2022.”
Councillors will decide on Tuesday next week whether to accept the officer’s recommendation.