A local Labour Party activist has announced he is seeking the party’s nomination to contest Skipton and Ripon at the next general election.
Starbeck man Chris Watt, 46, has worked for the NHS for 15 years and is involved in a range of community organisations. He previously worked in Westminster for a minister in the last Labour government.
Candidates have until January 10 to put forward their names to stand against Conservative Julian Smith, who has held the seat since 2010.
Announcing his candidature today, Mr Watt said he used to work for the health trust that runs Ripon Community Hospital and community healthcare across the area.
Skipton and Ripon has been held by the Conservatives since it was created in 1983.
It has been designated a “non-battleground” seat by Labour, which is believed to be focusing more on Keighley.
But local Labour members were boosted by political forecasting website Electoral Calculus recently claiming it had a 53% chance of gaining Skipton and Ripon.
Mr Watt said:
“I’ve really enjoyed being out on the doorstep already with the Skipton and Ripon Labour team, talking to local voters about their concerns. It’s clear that tackling the cost of living crisis, improving public services and tackling anti-social behaviour are at the top of people’s minds.
“The latest polls show that it’s all to play for in Skipton and Ripon, with Labour poised to give Julian Smith and the Tories a real run for their money and potentially take the seat.
“So I think we need a candidate who not only has a track record of organising excellent campaigns, but who is dedicated to public service and can hit the ground running to deliver a brighter future for the area should they be elected by local people.”
Brian McDaid, a Skipton town councillor who finished runner-up to Mr Smith in 2019 with 11,266 votes, has already announced he intends to seek the party nomination again.
Read more:
- Labour starts search for Skipton and Ripon candidate
- Labour Party selects candidate to stand for North Yorkshire mayor
- Labour designates Harrogate and Knaresborough ‘non-battleground’ seat
Is crime commissioner Zoe Metcalfe aiming to be North Yorkshire’s first mayor?
Zoe Metcalfe, the North Yorkshire Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner, is hoping to stand for election to become the county’s first mayor, the Stray Ferret understands.
A Conservative Party source has told the Stray Ferret that Ms Metcalfe had indicated she planned to launch a bid for the party’s nomination for next year’s mayoral election.
The mayor will oversee a significant budget for York and North Yorkshire and have the power to allocate funds to areas such as transport, education and housing.
He or she will also swallow up the commissioner’s role currently occupied by Ms Metcalfe.
Ms Metcalfe has strong local connections: she was born in Ripon, educated in Harrogate and lives near Boroughbridge.
A former Harrogate borough councillor, she was elected to her commissioner’s role in 2021 with 39.5% of the vote in a by-election caused by the resignation of fellow Conservative Philip Allott following comments he made about the murder of Sarah Everard.
Since taking up the role on a salary of £74,000, she has overseen the introduction of a Risk and Resource Model for North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service, which sets out how resources will be deployed from 2022 to 2025.
The changes included reducing Harrogate Fire Station’s nighttime cover from two fire engines to one.
The commissioner’s role gives Ms Metcalfe a countywide profile that could enhance her prospects of winning the Conservative nomination for mayor — a new role being created as part of North Yorkshire devolution.
The Stray Ferret contacted the crime commissioner’s office asking whether Ms Metcalfe planned to stand but did not receive a response.
Read more:
- Knaresborough’s Zoe Metcalfe pledges to be ‘people’s commissioner’ in £74,000 crime role
- Long-awaited £1.2m refurbishment of Ripon’s police and fire station confirmed