The 56-year history of Harrogate’s Woodfield Community Primary School is set to come to an end after councillors confirmed its closure today.
The school in Bilton will shut on December 31 despite complaints that pupils and parents have been “badly let down” by education bosses at North Yorkshire County Council.
But the council claims it has “exhausted all options” to try to keep the school open after years of falling pupil numbers and an inadequate rating by Ofsted.
Speaking at a meeting of the council’s executive today, ward councillor and school governor Paul Haslam repeated his objections to the closure which he blamed on an “unfounded allegation” about the school that was posted on social media several years ago. Cllr Haslam said”
“Today is a sad day. We have allowed social media and its consequent impact to close a perfectly good school.
“This cannot be allowed to happen to another school and it is only a failure if we do not learn from this sad event.”
Read more:
- Fears more Harrogate schools could follow in footsteps of closure-threatened Woodfield primary
- Fate of Woodfield primary school to be confirmed next week
Cllr Haslam, who represents the Bilton and Nidd Gorge division, added that the closure will “rip a large hole in this community” as he also called for a review into how it happened.

Paul Haslam
Stuart Carlton, the council’s corporate director of children and young people’s services, responded to say he “could not compel” other education bodies to discuss the issues around social media, but that he would meet with Cllr Haslam. He said:
“These are always very difficult decisions, but we have followed all the processes.
“The problem nationally of social media is one that isn’t unique to ourselves or particular schools here – it is something that plagues out across the country at times.
“I’m more than happy that I commit with my assistant director of education to meet with councillor Haslam and the chair of governors to talk through that point.”
Conservative councillor Annabel Wilkinson, the executive member for education and skills, also said the decision to close the school was made with a “heavy heart”.
Today’s decision comes after pupil numbers at the school dwindled from 155 in 2018 to just one earlier this month.
The inadequate rating by Ofsted inspectors came in 2020 and meant the school had to become part of an academy, however, it failed to one to secure its future.
Woodfield Community Primary School, which opened around 1964, then held merger talks with the nearby Grove Road Community Primary School, but these fell through.
Financial troubles have also hit the school, with debts forecast to reach almost £100,000 by the end of 2022/23 set to be absorbed by the county council.
The closure will also mean the Woodfield catchment area will be shared with both Bilton Grange Primary School and Grove Road Community Primary School.
Council leader ‘shares disappointment’ over lack of HCC funding in devolution dealThe leader of North Yorkshire County Council has said he shares disappointment that funding for Harrogate Convention Centre has not being included in a £540 million devolution deal.
Cllr Carl Les said a bid for funding to support a £47 million HCC redevelopment was included in a request to government, but was turned down.
His comments come as Cllr Richard Cooper, leader of Harrogate Borough Council, told the Harrogate Advertiser that while he supported the deal, he felt it “fell short” due to a lack of funding for the facility.
The borough council has since had to draw up a bid to the government’s levelling up fund in an effort to support the project.
Cllr Les told the Stray Ferret that the county council would continue to work with the borough council to secure funding for the facility.
He said:
“We did put a request for the Harrogate Convention Centre in the asks which were submitted to government.
“Harrogate sent officers to present the case, but the message from civil servants was that it should not be included.
“I share Richard’s disappointment, but we were given a clear steer and we are supporting Harrogate in that.”
Cllr Les added that the county council “recognised the importance” of the convention centre.
Historic deal
A historic £540 million devolution deal for North Yorkshire and York was announced by government yesterday.
The deal includes £18 million of guaranteed government cash for 30 years and it will also mean the county gets an elected mayor and combined authority.
Read More:
- Have devolution fears that Harrogate will be voiceless come true?
- Mayor for North Yorkshire agreed in £540m historic devolution deal
The agreement has been described as “a one-in-a-generation chance to help tackle regional inequalities by not only reducing the North-South divide nationally, but also helping to resolve economic differences that are being felt between urban and rural areas”.
Speaking after signing the deal in York yesterday, chief secretary to the treasury, Simon Clarke said:
“Local leaders are best placed to know what their communities need so I’m delighted that the people of York and North Yorkshire will be able to directly elect a mayor to deliver on their priorities.
“Devolution will benefit people across the region and we are committed to boosting more local areas in the same way as we level up the whole country.”