North Yorkshire Council has pledged to offer “comprehensive support” to staff being made redundant at Ilke Homes.
The company, which is based off junction 47 of the A1(M), fell into administration on June 30.
Management consultants Alixpartners was appointed administrators after the company failed to find a buyer or further investment.
Since then, a total of 1,057 staff have been made redundant.
Cllr Derek Bastiman, executive councillor for open to business, said in a statement to a full council meeting this week that Ilke Homes staff would be offered “comprehensive support” after the administration decision.
Cllr Bastiman said the council would be working with York and North Yorkshire Local Enterprise Partnership and government to offer skills and financial advice to those effected by the collapse.
He said:
“We are working with the government and the York and North Yorkshire Local Enterprise Partnership to offer support to former Ilke Homes workers to help them secure employment or re-training.
“Alongside the LEP, we have taken a stall at a Department for Work and Pensions job fair later this month where will be providing information on skills bootcamps, self-employment and start-up opportunities, mental health support and financial advice.
“The job fair will also include a pre-information session for former ilke Homes employees aimed at helping them get back into the workplace or finding training opportunities if they wish to learn new skills.
“We will continue to offer support where we can through the DWP.”
Read more:
- Ilke Homes: More than 1,000 staff made redundant
- Knaresborough housebuilder up for sale as operations paused
- Ilke Homes collapse: 80 staff at Flaxby housebuilder start legal action
Ilke Homes’ factory at Flaxby was immediately closed following the company entering administration and all site activities ceased.
Administrators added that the firm had “faced the challenges of unprecedented inflation and a lack of land supply linked to planning processes”.
Officials at Ilke Homes said previously that it needed additional funding to fulfil a £1 billion order book and to protect jobs, adding that new investment was needed to build its pipeline of 4,200 new homes.
Ripon regeneration plans ‘paused’ amid contract talksWork on a masterplan for the regeneration of Ripon has been paused due to negotiations over a £85,000 contract.
Harrogate Borough Council awarded the contract to Bauman Lyons Architects last year to draw up a vision for the future of the city and help it win funding for infrastructure, planning and community projects.
However, there have been delays for the Ripon Renewal scheme, which was due for completion earlier this year.
And now the project has been halted while a contract variation is agreed with the Leeds-based firm.
Ripon Moorside councillor Stuart Martin told a meeting on Monday that he was concerned about the delays as he questioned whether the project would be completed before the council is abolished.
In response, Trevor Watson, director of economy and culture at the council, said he did not know when the project would be done, but the aim was before the launch of the replacement North Yorkshire Council in April 2023.
He said:
“We are in dialogue with the consultants and it is very difficult to say when that conversation will be concluded.
“But it will be our intention to bring the project forward in that timeframe.”
Read more:
- Ripon gym Intrim closes for good after nearly 40 years
- Amazon driver found guilty of causing death of Ripon biker
The project started in February 2021 and was due for completion a year later. Bauman Lyons Architects has been contacted for comment on the delays.
Regeneration projects
The company was tasked with producing funding options and a business case for Ripon to bid for money for regeneration projects.
A consultation was held last year with residents, businesses and community groups which highlighted problems in the city.
These included not enough things for young people to do, traffic in the market place and a lack of affordable housing.
There were also calls for better traffic management on Low Skellgate and Westgate, and a new green route linking the Workhouse Museum and Ripon Cathedral.
The Ripon Renewal project is being funded by Harrogate Borough Council, North Yorkshire County Council and the York and North Yorkshire Local Enterprise Partnership.
Separately, the borough council made a joint bid for £6 million from the government’s Levelling Up Fund for regeneration projects in Ripon, Skipton and Masham.
This included cash for “high-quality place-making, improved cultural and community assets, and improved sustainable connectivity” across the three areas.
However, the bid was rejected by the government last year and the plans have been put on hold.