Two children admit Knaresborough graffiti outbreak

Two children have admitted being responsible for an outbreak of graffiti in Knaresborough.

Graffiti appeared throughout the town early this month, including on Knaresborough House and on High Bond End and Boroughbridge Road.

A North Yorkshire Police spokesperson said today:

“Following enquiries, those who were responsible for the graffiti — two children aged 14 and 15 — have been identified and have taken responsibility.

“They have agreed to a community resolution disposal and will be taking part in removing the graffiti and will be receiving an appropriate educational and restorative input to teach them about impact of graffiti on the community and local businesses.”

Community resolution disposals are usually issued to remorseful first-time offenders and do not constitute a criminal record.

Knaresborough graffiti

Some of the recent graffiti

The clerk of Knaresborough Town Council told the Stray Ferret it had been “very concerned about the amount of graffiti” that had appeared recently.

The clerk said individual councillors had been trying to tackle the problem with the help of CCTV, adding:

“Knaresborough Town Council is currently asking for more CCTV coverage behind Knaresborough House.”

She added the mayor, Cllr Kathryn Davies recently organised a drop-in session with the police on Stockwell estate following reports of anti social behaviour in that area.

Knaresborough graffiti

Graffiti at Knaresborough House


Read more:


 

Blubberhouses crash: lorry driver banned for being three times over limit

A lorry driver who lost control on the A59 at Blubberhouses on Tuesday was three times over the drink-drive limit.

Jacek Borowski, 51, from Poland lost control of his HGV heading down the hill.

His vehicle blocked the road completely for most of the day, causing significant disruption on the main route between Harrogate and Skipton.

Nobody else was involved or injured.

Blubberhouses collision driver banned April 2023

The lorry blocked the road for most of the day.

North Yorkshire Police said in a statement today Borowski had been banned within 24 hours of the incident. It added:

“Officers breathalysed the driver who blew 92 micrograms of alcohol in 100 milligrams of breath – almost three times the legal limit.

“He was remanded into custody immediately and put before York Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday 19 April where he pleaded guilty to driving over the prescribed limit and was disqualified from driving for 23 months.”


Read more:


 

Man arrested after weapons and drugs found at Starbeck property

A 19-year-old man has been arrested after police found weapons and drugs at a house in Starbeck.

North Yorkshire Police made the discovery after initially receiving a call on Thursday (April 13) from someone concerned for the welfare of a dog.

Officers attended the property and found a strong smell of cannabis at the address before conducting a search.

A police statement added:

“A search took place and officers uncovered a large kukri style knife and a telescopic baton. 

“A large bag of what is suspected to be a class B drug, scales and several mobile phones were also found.”

Police arrested a 19-year-old on suspicion of possession of offensive weapon in a private place, causing unnecessary suffering to an animal and possession with an intent to supply a class B drug.

He was interviewed and released under investigation.


Read more:


 

Police seek Suzuki driver after Knaresborough hit and run

North Yorkshire Police is appealing for information after a hit and run in Knaresborough.

In a statement issued today, police said the collision left a parked black VW Transporter van with “significant damage” estimated to cost £5,000.

It happened on Fisher Street on Friday, March 31 at 12.15pm.

Officers said a grey Suzuki SX4 car failed to stop after the incident. The statement added:

“Anyone with information about the Suzuki is asked to contact North Yorkshire Police.

“Officers are also urging any body shops that have recently been approached to repair a Suzuki SX4 with front-end damage to get in touch.”

You can email Ben.Robinson-Brockhill@northyorkshire.police.uk or dial 101 and quote reference 12230057691.


Read more:


 

Dashcam footage appeal after serious crash on Leathley Lane

Police are appealing for dashcam footage of a serious collision on the edge of the Harrogate district.

A woman in a green 12-reg Mazda broke several bones and was hospitalised for five days.

The crash happened at 9.20am on Tuesday, March 14 at Leathley Lane near Castley Lane.

According to North Yorkshire Police, three other vehicles were involved: a white 21-reg Ford Transit van, a grey 21-reg Hyundai Ioniq and a grey 10-reg Skoda Roomster.

The stretch of road was closed for several hours while officers investigated and vehicles were recovered.

A police statement said:

“We’re appealing for witnesses to the collision or anyone who recalls seeing the vehicles involved prior to the collision, to get in touch as soon as possible to assist the investigation.

“In particular, we’re appealing for motorists in the area at the time who may have relevant dashcam footage of the collision itself or of any of the vehicles involved prior to the incident.”

You can email Megan.Smith1@northyorkshire.police.uk or call North Yorkshire Police on 101, select option 2, and ask for Megan Smith.

Quote reference number 12230046167.


Read more:


 

Late night hit and run in Harrogate district

Police are appealing for information about a hit and run collision in the Harrogate district.

According to North Yorkshire Police, a blue Kia car with an 06 registration collided with a parked car on Millfield Street at Pateley Bridge.

It happened at about 2.20am on Good Friday.

A police statement said:

“The driver of the Kia did not stop and drove to the end of Millfield End before driving away, back up Millfield Street, about five minutes later.

“Both the parked car and the Kia were damaged.

“Witnesses also noticed a burning smell coming from the Kia.”

Anybody with information can email bill.hickson@northyorkshire.police.uk or call North Yorkshire Police on 101 and select option 1.

Alternatively, contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.

Quote reference number 12230061510.


Read more:


 

Motorcyclist seriously injured in crash in Harrogate district

A man has been seriously injured in a crash in a village on the edge of the Harrogate district.

North Yorkshire Police has appealed for information about the collision on the B6161 Leathley Lane near Leathley on Sunday (April 2).

It happened at around midday and involved a red motorcycle and green agricultural tractor.

The motorcyclist was taken to hospital with serious injuries.

A police statement added:

“Officers are asking anyone who saw the collision, or the vehicles involved prior to the collision – or has relevant dashcam footage – to get in touch.

“Please call North Yorkshire Police on 101, quoting reference 12230058477.”


Read more:


 

Police seek brick-throwing Ripon boys

North Yorkshire Police is appealing for information about a group of boys throwing bricks at a window in Ripon.

In a media release issued today, police said the “criminal damage incident” took place on Aismunderby Road at about 4.45pm yesterday.

The release said:

“Several teenagers threw a brick at a property window. The teenagers were described as approximately 12 to 14 years old.”

Anyone with information can email gareth.skelton@northyorkshire.police.uk or dial 101, select option 2, and ask for Gareth Skelton.

Or you can call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111

Quote reference number 12230057881.


Read more:


 

Police appeal after serious crash on A1(M) near Dishforth

A serious crash on the A1(M) near Dishforth left the occupants of a Fiat 500 requiring hospital treatment.

North Yorkshire Police issued an appeal for further information today after the crash closed the stretch of road before junction 49 at 5.50am on Friday (March 31) for two hours.

The crash involved a white Fiat 500 and a heavy goods vehicle. The occupants of the Fiat suffered serious injuries and required hospital treatment.

A police statement said:

“Police are appealing for witnesses to the collision or anyone who recalls seeing the vehicle(s) prior to the collision, to get in touch as soon as possible to assist the investigation.

“They would be particularly keen to hear from anyone who captured dash cam footage of the collision or the vehicles.

“If you can help, please email gary.dukes@northyorkshire.police.uk, or contact North Yorkshire Police on 101, select option 2, and ask for Gary Dukes.”


Read more:


 

Alleged victims of fraud at Knaresborough car dealership call for more police action

The victims of an alleged fraud involving Porsches in Knaresborough have criticised police for the lack of progress in the investigation.

North Yorkshire Police launched an investigation in summer 2019 after allegations that dealership Gmund transferred ownership of cars worth more than £1 million without the owners’ permission.

A man in his 50s was arrested at the time and released under investigation.

Now, almost four years on, the alleged victims have questioned why there has been no update from police since February 2022. One told the Stray Ferret:

“Beyond the frustration, it is more a case of losing faith in the judiciary system and rule of law.”

Asked for an update, a spokesperson for North Yorkshire Police last week said:

“There is no update in the investigation into a Knaresborough car dealership previously enquired about. The investigation remains ongoing, one suspect remains under investigation.”

The Stray Ferret first published at story in summer 2020 after speaking to six alleged victims of fraud at Gmund.

One man, Anthony Place, claimed he was never paid the £52,000 he was owed when his car was sold in early 2019. He grew so frustrated that he painted a message asking for his money on the side of his other Porsche – and hired a plane with a banner bearing the same words to fly over the dealership.

Another man contacted the Stray Ferret to say he had bought a car from Gmund and had since been told by police he was unable to sell or modify the vehicle while the investigation continued.

One of the alleged victims, who asked not to be named, told the Stray Ferret last week he was frustrated by the slow progress of the investigation:

“What disturbs me somewhat is how long this has been dragging on.

“The police had advised me to appoint a solicitor. Legal advice means a lot of money and in my case we have nothing to work from except that others have not had the money they are owed.”


Read more:


Gmund was founded in 2006 and was known for buying and selling classic Porsche cars.

The company, which was based at the Nidd Valley Business Park, was dissolved in 2020 and its owner Andrew Mearns was declared bankrupt.

His wife, the former Conservative councillor for Knaresborough Scriven Park, Samantha Mearns, was company secretary from the time it was founded until December 2018.

Ms Mearns told the Stray Ferret in 2020 she was never interviewed by police in relation to the allegations. In July 2021, she resigned from the council and moved to Wales, citing family reasons.

The administrator’s report from June 2020 found more than £1 million in claims stacked up against the business with only £15,000 in assets.

The alleged victim added:

“The police do not seem to be very active. The police, particularly in North Yorkshire, need to rebuild their reputation.

“Regular updates which had been promised have not been exactly forthcoming. It does not put the police in a good light. Mum’s the word and that is not good enough.”