The peak of the coronavirus crisis has not yet hit North Yorkshire, but irregular and unreliable supplies of personal protective equipment (PPE) are putting front line workers at risk.
North Yorkshire County Council’s director of health and adult services, Richard Webb, told The Stray Ferret that constantly changing government guidelines on the use of PPE are making it hard to predict how much is needed – and he doesn’t yet know when the next supplies will be delivered.
While gloves, aprons and hand sanitiser are all needed, the most urgent problem is finding face masks offering the right grade of protection. The type IIR face masks are in high demand around the country because they prevent fluids from passing through when staff are caring for patients.

Richard Webb
Mr Webb said: “We are asking anyone who is a producer of the right type of PPE to get in touch. We are asking businesses or schools who might be able to produce PPE, can they begin to mobilise their production. That would be really appreciated.
“That’s across the board: it’s for us, it’s for the wider care sector, it’s for the hospitals and community health service and GPs. If people are able to produce what’s required to the right spec, we would really welcome them to get in touch.”
A new PPE plan was announced by the government on Friday, with additional guidance issued over the Easter weekend. These constantly changing requirements make it even harder for the council to know how long supplies will last.
Mr Webb said the local resilience forum, which is a combination of councils, the NHS, the military and police, has been working to try to find supplies and get them to the right places. With the peak of the crisis still to come in North Yorkshire, demand will only grow.
“The figures nationally and in Yorkshire are increasing so we are still not yet at the peak date. We will expect to see an increase in cases over the coming weeks.”
NYCC’s chief executive, Richard Flinton, had previously issued a call to suppliers to help get products to the front line, while community groups have been working together to source equipment. Mr Webb thanked everyone who has contributed supplies so far, as well as reiterating advice to stay at home and follow hand-washing guidelines in order to reduce the spread of the virus.
He added:
“What we really want is a regular supply of this equipment and at the moment that’s not coming through in the way that the NHS and councils and care providers need it. The government have given it a really top priority on Friday night when they announced their new plan. We need to see during the coming week much more regular supplies of the right kit.”
Anyone who can help supply equipment should email procurement@northyorks.gov.uk.
The ever-changing challenge of the crisis
Less than 10 days ago, North Yorkshire County Council said it was well supplied with PPE.
This new appeal shows just how quickly the situation is changing: demand grows by the day, with added pressure as the government issues further guidance on the use of PPE across medical and social settings.
Evidence from those on the front line confirms that supplies aren’t reaching where they’re most needed. Over the weekend, care home operator MHA confirmed a number of its residents had died after displaying symptoms of coronavirus, and said it was desperately short of PPE across its 133 homes.
Hundreds of thousands of people up and down the country are using the same kit. While visors are being produced by schools and hand sanitiser made by businesses, it is the high-grade protective equipment, such as masks, which are harder to procure from alternative sources.
Usual supplies have been depleted, with manufacturers struggling to meet demand coming not just from the UK but internationally. With the peak of the crisis expected to hit North Yorkshire in the coming weeks, front line workers will be more desperate than ever to have access to the equipment they need to reduce the risks they are taking while caring for the most vulnerable people in society.