Family of boy thrown from Lightwater Valley ride speaks

The family of a boy who fell off a ride at Lightwater Valley, near Ripon, has welcomed the court’s judgement but said it was hard to learn of the theme park’s failings.

York Magistrates Court fined Lightwater Valley Attractions £330,000 on Friday for the incident on May 30 last year.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive found several children under 1.5 metres were not wearing seat belts on the Twister ride.

CCTV footage and statements by members of the public backed up this claim.

The HSE also found that belts were not functioning properly and, on several occasions, the final position of the lap bar allowed significant gaps.

Lightwater Valley Twister ride

Lightwater Valley’s Twister ride

The family of the child, who has anonymity for legal reasons, said:

“The guilty plea on all charges by Lightwater Valley marks the closure of what has been a very difficult chapter for me, my son and family.

“It has been hard to learn of the various failings by Lightwater Valley, which include inadequate management, supervision, maintenance, systems of work and risk assessments.

“No one should have to go through what my son and I experienced on that day.

“I hope that lessons have been learned by Lightwater Valley and the industry in general to ensure that something like this never happens again.

“Whilst a fine has been imposed, this will not alter the life changing injuries sustained by my son and the difficulties he continues to endure.

“The public apology by Lightwater Valley is welcomed and I would like to thank them for the way they have assisted with my son’s recovery and continuing rehabilitation.

“I would also like to thank the HSE for the way they have carried out their investigation and the level of support they have provided.

“I have no further statement to make. My family and I would really appreciate privacy so that we can come to terms with what has happened and focus on my son’s recovery and rehabilitation.”


Read more:


Lightwater Valley declined to comment on the family’s statement. A spokesperson said after Friday’s court hearing:

“We have from the outset accepted full responsibility for this accident and our sincere and heartfelt apologies go out to the young boy, his family and his friends.

“We have co-operated fully throughout the HSE’s investigation and are carefully considering the fine imposed by the court.

“Since the incident we have been providing support and assistance to the family and will continue to do so.

“The health and safety of visitors to our park remains our top priority and we are determined that an incident such as this will never happen again. We have undertaken a full review of our health and safety systems and procedures following the accident.”