Bus route changes ‘necessary’ in face of growing Harrogate congestion

The company behind planned changes to bus routes around Harrogate has said they are vital to protect services in the face of worsening congestion.

The Harrogate Bus Company – part of Transdev – said its concessionary passenger numbers had fallen, while roads have become more congested, meaning it has to use extra resources to maintain current service levels.

It follows complaints from customers that changes to the number 6 route in Harlow Hill, and combining the 2A and 2B in Bilton, could leave vulnerable people more isolated.

The Harrogate Bus Company’s General Manager Steve Otley said:

“We are currently carrying only 70% of concessionary customers compared with 2019, prior to the pandemic. Meanwhile, worsening road congestion in Harrogate, which has no bus priority measures, means extra resources are needed to maintain service levels.

“We published our intentions in December to give our customers chance to understand the changes well in advance.”

Residents and social groups had contacted the Stray Ferret with concerns that the streamlined route of the number 6, skipping out Harlow Avenue and the stop outside the Green Hut community centre, could mean elderly and disabled people were unable to access the service.

While the nearest stops on the new route are just a few hundred metres away, they said this distance could be prohibitive for people with mobility problems.

In Bilton, combining the two routes will mean residents on Woodfield Road and Dene Park will be unable to access shops and services around King Edward’s Drive without going into town and catching the next bus back out again.


Read more:


The concerns have been backed by local representatives, including Paul Haslam, Conservative councillor for Bilton and Nidd Gorge, who said he was hoping to negotiate with North Yorkshire County Council and the bus company to find a solution.

Cllr Mike Schofield, who represents the Harlow and St George’s division for the Liberal Democrats, said:

“Whilst I accept how finances work within business, I feel that there is surely an option for an hourly bus to ensure the elderly and those with physical restrictions still have a means to get out and have their independence.

“Are we not supposed to be supporting active travel for all?”

However, Mr Otley said the proposed changes, coming into effect from Sunday, February 19, were the best compromise between route and frequency of service.

He said the decisions had been made based on current use of stops along the route, adding:

“We have managed to protect the frequency of route 6 at every 30 minutes with a slightly quicker route, so the Green Hut stop is no longer used. On average, eight customers per day catch a bus from there, six of whom use concessionary passes – and the majority travel between 9am and 11am, suggesting they’re not Green Hut users.

“On the 2, we’ll be delivering more frequent services for the majority of our Bilton customers with a new timetable for route 2. As with the Green Hut stop on the 6, the stops we will no longer serve carry a small number of customers each day.

“On the current 2A and 2B, 98% of customers travel to/from the town centre, the small number of local trips are to/from King Edward Drive Top which will still be possible on the new route. Customers can also change buses at King Edward Drive Top.

“While we appreciate that a small number of residents will be inconvenienced, this change protects the timetable and speeds up journeys for the vast majority, protecting the busier stops along the route.”

Bus services ‘facing potential cliff-edge’

Bus services in a county that failed to secure any money to improve services in the government’s high-profile Bus Back Better scheme are now facing “a potential cliff-edge”, North Yorkshire’s transport boss has warned.

In a statement to a meeting of North Yorkshire County Council next Wednesday, Cllr Keane Duncan said the authority was aware several of the county’s commercial routes were facing “significant pressures”, due to the loss of government subsidies in three months.

The warning from the Conservative-led council’s executive member for highways and transportation comes ahead of bus services across the country having to introduce a £2 price cap on local and regional journeys from October.

It also comes just three months after it emerged the authority’s £116 million Bus Back Better bid had been rejected in its entirety by the government, which claimed the bid had lacked “sufficient ambition”.

As winning the grant had been crucial for elements of the county’s Bus Service Improvement Plan, the authority expressed dismay at the decision.

Even ahead of the decision in March, members of the authority’s executive had underlined the need for bus services for the county’s rural communities, which dwindled following significant austerity cutbacks.

Cllr Duncan said the council had launched a review of the passenger service network across the county to understand which could become threatened in the coming months.

He said:

“The end of the Commercial Bus Services Support Grant provided by central government in October presents a potential cliff-edge in terms of the future profitability of routes our residents rely upon.”


Read more:


He said the review would enable him to assess potential support the council could provide “to keep as many of our vital services running as possible”.

The authority’s opposition leader, Councillor Bryn Griffiths, said concerns had been mounting for the viability of some bus services as they appeared to have reached a tipping point.

Coun Griffiths said by giving one-off grants for specific projects limited to certain places the government was failing to provide the resources needed to improve access to public transport across England’s largest county.

He said:

“It’s an appalling situation. We lose out in the north of England in rural areas because the government doesn’t recognise the issues.

“Places like Bilsdale have no bus services on Sundays because the county council cannot afford to subsidise them, so people can’t get to hospitals to visit their loved ones. Cutting services even further is just ridiculous.

“It’s a vicious circle. You get fewer services, so it gets less and less attractive for people to use.”

 

Starbeck dad says ‘unreliable’ buses are making daughter late for school

Starbeck dad Gordon Schallmo has criticised Transdev‘s “unreliable” Number 1 bus service, which he said is regularly making his daughter late for school.

Mr Schallmo’s 14-year-old daughter is a pupil at King James’s School in Knaresborough.

Each morning she gets the number 1 from Starbeck, which is one of the company’s busiest bus routes in the Harrogate district, running up to seven times an hour.

But well-documented staffing issues have forced the company to cancel services, sometimes at short notice.

Mr Schallmo said his daughter is currently late for school at least once a week after buses failed to turn up.

He said:

“Its hit and miss when they arrive. She’s often been left standing there.”

Can’t all fit on

The number 1 route is served by single-decker buses.

But with schoolchildren sharing the bus with rush-hour commuters, it means if a bus doesn’t turn up they can’t always all fit on the next one.

Mr Schallmo added:

“It’s not good when I have to run her in and call the school to say she will be late again because the bus hasn’t turned up.”


Read more:


Transdev has had difficulties hiring new bus drivers since the covid pandemic.

The company recently launched a campaign offering qualified drivers a £1,000 bonus if they joined.

Mr Schallmo said he was also frustrated to see the company recently increased the cost of a weekly ticket on the number 1 from £4.30 to £6 whilst offering a service his daughter can’t rely on.

He said:

“It’s getting beyond a joke. I know they have bus driver shortages but they don’t seem to be doing anything about it.

“What frustrates me is they don’t have an answer. It’s been terrible.”

Transdev’s response

Steve Ottley, general manager at The Harrogate Bus Company, which is a division of French firm Transdev, said:

“Firstly, it’s disappointing and we apologise that Mr Schallmo believes we haven’t given him an answer he would like but we would invite him and anyone else who may wish to, to engage with us via email to customer.services@transdevbus.co.uk or via many other contact points as found at harrogatebus.co.uk.

“We fully realise how frustrating it is for our customers on the occasions when we are unable to provide the high standard of service expected. We are doing a lot behind the scenes to respond to current industry-wide challenges around recruitment and retention of drivers — including by offering increased salaries to new and existing drivers, and by promoting opportunities to join us on the front of all our buses, on billboard advertising and via social media.

“This approach is already delivering positive results – we currently have 15 new colleagues preparing for new driving jobs in Harrogate at The Academy, our own in-house training facility in Starbeck.”

Mr Ottley also explained why the company has increased its prices:

“Everyone will be aware that the price of almost everything is rising at the moment, especially fuel and energy, and unfortunately, we are also not immune to these increased costs — price changes are a common factor across many businesses at the moment. Along with many other transport operators across the country, we have now reached a point where we need to ask our customers to share some of this with us.

“We have held prices down for a while now. This will be our first fares change since September 2019 – and our tickets are still good value, especially compared with other forms of transport, including the car.

“These changes will allow us to continue recovering from covid, increasing timetables back to pre-pandemic levels, investing and improving wage rates — all after almost three years of holding down fares. We’ve also taken this opportunity to simplify our ticket range where we can to make travel easier, while still offering flexibility to our regular customers.”