Hundreds object to Crimple Valley housing plans as decision looms

A controversial Harrogate planning application which has attracted more than 350 objections could be decided this week.

The proposal for 17 new homes at the bottom of Almsford Bank has attracted 364 public comments, all but five of which are against the plans.

A target decision date for the plans, which include a mix of self-build and affordable homes, has been set by North Yorkshire Council for this Thursday.

Objectors have raised concerns about the impact on the Crimple Valley, which is designated a special landscape area (SLA), as well as safety around the entrance to the homes on the A61 Leeds Road.

In documents submitted with the plans, applicants Square Feet Limited and Antela Developments Limited said:

“There are currently no dedicated cycling facilities/routes along the A61 between Pannal and the southern fringes of Harrogate.

“Coupled with that, the existing 50mph speed limit on this section of Leeds Road means that traffic speeds are not particularly conducive to providing a pedestrian/cycle friendly environment – including the Almsford Bank section where the existing overtaking lane only serves to encourage higher traffic speeds.

“This overtaking lane is historic (prior to the by-pass) and is considered to be unnecessary and in an inappropriate urban location, only serving to increase vehicle speeds further as traffic enters a 30mph residential [area].

“Whilst not considered necessary, particularly for a scheme of just 17 dwellings now, the proposed development presents an opportunity to address this infrastructure/accessibility deficiency and assist in encouraging sustainable travel.”

The applicants propose installing a shared pedestrian and cycle path on the footpath on the western side of the A61 going up Almsford Bank, as well as a cycleway on the southbound carriageway going downhill.

They also suggest removing the stretch of 50mph limit along the A61 and maintaining a 40mph limit from Pannal to the top of Almsford Bank, where it becomes 30mph.

However, North Yorkshire Council’s highways department has raised concerns about those proposals, saying traffic is already travelling too fast on the A61.

Its response to the application said the entrance to the site could lead to slow-moving traffic on the A61 as vehicles approach at speed, while introducing cycle lanes could make the road too narrow for large vehicles to pass bicycles safely.

Its statement added:

“Any reduction in capacity on Leeds Road will inevitably lead to more traffic using alternative routes through Burn Bridge, Yew Tree Lane and Pannal Ash Road which are less suitable, predominantly residential, and already congested.”

The site of the proposed 17 homes at the bottom of Almsford Bank . The red line shows the development area, and the yellow the self-build element, within the blue line of the owners' land.The red line shows the development area, and the yellow the self-build element, within the blue line of the owners’ land

Other concerns raised by consultees include the practicalities of enforcing any section 106 agreement, which require developers to pay for investment in local infrastructure when building new houses.

They says the inclusion of 10 self-build plots on the site would likely mean there would be multiple developers involved, making such an agreement harder to enforce.

The site, which is not included in the local plan guiding where development should take place, has previously had applications for larger numbers of houses turned down or withdrawn.

Last year, a proposal for 35 homes including 14 self-build plots was rejected by Harrogate Borough Council, after attracting almost 250 people to write in opposition.

Plans for 35 homes submitted in 2019 were withdrawn, as was a scheme for 65 houses put forward in 2018. Each had received more than 100 letters of objection.

Among the 359 letters objecting to the current plans is one from Mike Black, a Pannal resident, who said:

“Here we go again. This is another ridiculous attempt to build a housing development in a special landscape area that is one of the most precious and beautiful areas of countryside on the edges of Harrogate.

“It is highly valued by local communities as an unspoilt green space where you can walk and relax. A housing development will destroy much of this precious resource.

“Not only that, but its location will increase traffic flow at a very dangerous bend on the A61. There have been a number of fatal accidents here already. It is crazy to increase the dangers that already exist.

“Please do not let developers ruin our natural environment. Their gain would be a massive loss to thousands and thousands of people in our local community.”

To view the application, visit the North Yorkshire Council planning website and use reference 23/01082/OUTMAJ.


Read more:


 

Residents rally against new Crimple Valley housing plans

Residents on the south side of Harrogate are rallying against another application to build housing on the edge of a treasured stretch of countryside.

The Save Crimple Valley group is urging people to object to plans for 17 homes at the bottom of Almsford Bank, just off Leeds Road.

A message put out by the group said:

“If you have already commented on this application in the past, please reaffirm your objections to this development by commenting again.

“This site has already been turned down and applications withdrawn or refused on multiple occasions – but the developers are persistent and will get their way if not stopped. Because this is a new application all previous comments are disregarded.”

Residents say access to and from the site via the A61 would be dangerous, while the housing itself would spoil the area.

The application site includes an area that has been used as stables for many years, but it is not included in the local plan, which guides development across the Harrogate district.

The site for the new homes in the Crimple Valley, with the development boundary in red and housing areas in orange.The development boundary in red and housing areas in orange, with the owners’ land outlined in blue

Since plans were published at the end of March, 22 objections have been submitted to North Yorkshire Council. Nearby resident Penny Robinson said:

“It is sad that I find myself having to object to this building plan again. This area has been repeatedly refused planning permission to build on, so it is not clear why this application is even being considered.

“All the reasons stated in the last rejection in November 2022 have not changed… The local plan doesn’t need these houses, they are just a money making venture. The same objections stand as they did since the first application to build several years ago.”


Read more:


The current application by Antela Developments Ltd and Square Feet Ltd is significantly reduced compared to the first, submitted in 2018, for 65 homes. That plan was withdrawn by the applicants, along with an application for 35 homes submitted the following year.

In 2022, a proposal for 35 homes, including self-build plots, was turned down by Harrogate Borough Council.

‘High standard housing’

The latest application is for 10 self-build homes and seven affordable homes. In documents submitted as part of the application, the developers said:

“The form and massing of the new houses will be designed in response to the topography of the site, taking influence from the surrounding context.

“The introduction of self and custom build homes will allow each house to be individually designed but each plot will be set out in response to the natural landform.”

They added:

“The houses will be built to a high standard with quality natural local materials to help integrate within the landscape. It is proposed that traditional principles of rural design will be adopted within the design, with the addition of subtle contemporary details in order to distinguish the new development from earlier buildings within the surrounding context.

“This will ensure continuity of the local vernacular and harmonious integration into the existing setting.”

However, many of those objecting have said they would not accept any number of homes on the site, which they argue is unsuitable for development.

Another local resident, Victoria Draper, wrote:

“We do not want our beautiful, local countryside ripping up to make way for unnecessary, expensive, unsightly houses. We bought our house in the local vicinity so we could enjoy family walks and explore nature with our young daughter.

“The increase in traffic and subsequent danger with additional junctions, on an already extremely busy main road, cannot go ahead. We are such a depleted country in terms of wildlife, we should be trying to increase our natural areas, not reduce them. This cannot go ahead.”

To view or comment on the plans before the deadline of April 23, visit the planning pages of North Yorkshire Council’s website and use reference 23/01082/OUTMAJ.