Councillors voted by 10 to 3 in favour of proceeding with the £11.2 million Harrogate Station Gateway last week.
The heated three-hour meeting saw members of the public and North Yorkshire councillors speak for and against the scheme.
It would see the biggest change to the town centre for decades, including traffic on a 300-metre stretch of Station Parade being reduced to single lane so cycle lanes can be built and part of James Street pedestrianised.
But the meeting revealed far more than that. Here are eight key takeaways.
1 The project looks certain to go-ahead
North Yorkshire Council is expected to ratify the decision to proceed with the gateway when its ruling executive meets on May 30.
The Harrogate and Knaresborough area constituency committee, which met last week, is only an advisory body to the executive but the council’s Conservative transport chief Cllr Keane Duncan pledged in advance of the meeting to abide by its decision. The 10-3 vote in favour appears to have sealed its fate.
Cllr Duncan told the meeting the council was “up against it” if it didn’t want to lose the £10.9 million pledged by the Department for Transport towards the £11.2 million scheme. He said:
“We will have to make a decision as an executive on May 30 if we want to ensure we deliver this scheme in line with DfT requirements.”
He added the “majority of spend” must take place in 2023/24 budgets, so expect roadworks this winter.

Station Square is many visitors’ first impression of Harrogate.
2 Supporters say it will halt town centre decline
Although the gateway is mainly regarded as a transport scheme, supporters are keen to portray its potential for regenerating Lower Station Parade and the area around the bus and train stations.
Matthew Roberts, economic development officer at the council, displayed a slide at the committee meeting showing the number of shops in Harrogate declined from 539 in September 2013 to 474 in September 2021. The meeting also heard evidence that pedestrianisation often led to an increase in spending.
Mr Roberts concluded his presentation by saying:
“Change is often daunting but in Harrogate’s case, much needed.”
3 Otley Road cycle route has undermined confidence
The spectre of the Otley Road cycle route loomed over the meeting.
Liberal Democrat Cllr Monika Slater, who represents Bilton Grange and New Park, told officers the much-criticised cycle route had “taken away the public confidence” in the council’s ability to deliver infrastructure schemes.
The prospect of a part-pedestrianised James Street also raised concerns that Harrogate’s premier retail street could become a soulless shopping experience, as some feel Cambridge Street has become, rather than the pleasant oasis portrayed in council designs.

Cambridge Street – bland?
4 Divided Lib Dems enabled the go-ahead
The Harrogate and Knaresborough area constituency committee, which advises North Yorkshire Council, consists of eight Lib Dems and five Conservatives — so the Lib Dems could have halted the scheme.
But there was no party whip and a wide range of views emerged. Committee chair and Harrogate and Knaresborough Lib Dem leader Pat Marsh, who represents Stray, Woodlands and Hookstone, was scathing:
“I’m totally against this scheme – it’s the wrong scheme. We need to get around the table and look at a more connected plan.”
Fellow Lib Dem Matt Walker, who represents Knaresborough West, and Michael Schofield, who represents Harlow and St Georges, described it as a “vanity project”. But the other five Lib Dems voted in favour, as did all five Conservatives, after receiving vague assurances the committee would be involved in the scheme going forward.
5 There are fears of Harrogate turning into Peterborough or Milton Keynes
Former Harrogate borough mayor Caroline Bayliss was one of many anti-gateway speakers at the start of the meeting. She said the project was “bland enough to suit Peterborough, Milton Keynes or Croydon”, adding:
“It takes away more of our distinct character to be replaced by concrete.”
Former architect Barry Adams, who handed out details of an alternative approach, described it as a “blinkered and contrived highways-led solution”.
By contrast, gateway supporters say it will breathe new life into a run-down part of town that provides the first impression for visitors by bus and train.

There are fears land near the train and bus stations will be developed.
6 Tower block fears
There are fears that the gateway could pave the way for other developments in the vicinity.
Martin Mann, acting chief executive of Harrogate District Chamber of Commerce, even said:
“There are also concerns about the development of the land next to the station, potentially into a tower block, which may overshadow Station Parade and this redevelopment to the public realm.”
Businesses recovering from covid are also more concerned about the disruption caused by months, or years, of roadworks rather than long-term vision of improvement presented by gateway supporters.

Harrogate has 7,000 parking spaces
7 Just 0.6% of parking spaces will be lost
The loss of parking spaces on James Street is one of the gateway’s most controversial aspects.
Richard Binks, head of major projects and development at the council, said 40 parking spaces would be lost in total because of the scheme
He said Harrogate had more than 7,000 parking spaces, if Asda and Waitrose are included, and therefore only 0.6% of spaces would be lost.
8 Cheltenham Parade bus lane scrapped
Mr Binks revealed plans to introduce a bus lane on Cheltenham Parade had been removed from the scheme.
But he added a bus lane on Lower Station Parade remained part of the plans. He said 44 buses an hour used that stretch of road and “each bus would gain 17 to 20 seconds” because of the lane.
Mr Binks added the project had been amended to allay business fears about unloading on Lower Station Parade after the owner of Party Fever raised concerns the business and customers would no longer be able to park outside. He said:
“We are proposing to truncate the length of the lead in the taper to the bus lane over the length of Bower House and make that double yellow line like it is now. That would avail you the opportunity to load as you do now, It would avail customers 30-minute pick up and drop off time.”
“You have a very valid point, we will take it on board and adjust the project to suit.”
Read more:
- Council in discussions with Harrogate Station Gateway contractor
- Station Gateway: Highways boss welcomes ‘positive’ backing from councillors
- As it happened: Councillors vote to SUPPORT Harrogate Station Gateway scheme
Plan to demolish Harrogate tempietto approved
A plan to demolish Harrogate town centre’s ‘little temple’ to make way for the £11.2 million Station Gateway scheme has been approved.
An application was tabled by North Yorkshire County Council in November last year to remove the tempietto in Station Square.
The proposal was approved by Harrogate Borough Council prior to its abolition on Friday.
However, a county council spokesperson told the Stray Ferret previously that the structure would only be removed if the Station Gateway goes ahead.
The council’s Liberal Democrat-controlled Harrogate and Knaresborough area constituency committee is due to vote on the scheme on May 5, and the council’s Tory leadership has indicated it will abide by its decision.
The tempietto, which is inside Harrogate Conservation Area, was built between 1988 and 1992 as part of the redevelopment of the area to create the Victoria Shopping Centre.
Made of Jedburgh sandstone, its classical design was based on the work of 16th-century architect Andrea Palladio’s basilica at Vicenza in Italy.
The government-funded gateway scheme would see major changes to the public realm opposite the train station to make the gateway to Harrogate more attractive to visitors and more accessible to cyclists and pedestrians.
Read more:
- Transport chief faces Harrogate businesses on Station Gateway
- Local Liberal Democrats could determine fate of £11.2m Harrogate Station Gateway
It would also see part of Station Parade reduced to single lane traffic to accommodate cycle routes and James Street partly pedestrianised. Business groups and residents have voiced concerns about the impact on trade and traffic.
Cllr Keane Duncan, executive councillor for highways at North Yorkshire Council, said:
“Planning approval for the removal of the tempietto does not pre-judge the final decision on the overall Harrogate Station Gateway scheme. Local Harrogate and Knaresborough councillors will have their say on this at a special meeting of the area constituency committee on May 5.
“Removal of the tempietto is key to our plan to create a welcoming and attractive public space in Harrogate town centre. It will only be removed if the overall Gateway scheme receives support and goes ahead.
“We are aware that there is some interest from other organisations in relocating the tempietto and we are looking to understand if this could be achieved should the decision be taken to implement the Harrogate Station Gateway project.”
In a letter to the county council, Matthew Roberts, economy and transport officer at now abolished Harrogate Borough Council, said the borough council also supported the move.
He said:
“Evidence suggests that town centres are at risk of decline in the medium term. Consumer behaviours and expectations are changing and towns must diversify and advance to maintain healthy and vibrant visitor economies.
“The removal of the tempietto from Harrogate Station Square will open the space to provide flexibility for events (e.g. markets) that, in turn, will support town centre diversification and vitality.”
However, Henry Pankhurst, of Harrogate Civic Society, told the council in a letter that no proposal should be approved until the final plans for Station Gardens under the gateway scheme are agreed.
He said:
Plans submitted to demolish Harrogate’s ‘little temple’“We agree that demolition of the tempietto would result in less than substantial harm to the conservation area, but surely no application for demolition should be approved before we know what the final plans are for Station Gardens.
“Demolition in the conservation area must surely be accompanied by knowledge of what its replacement would be.”
Plans have been submitted to demolish the ‘little temple’ in Harrogate town centre to make way for the £11.2 million Station Gateway scheme.
North Yorkshire County Council has applied to remove the tempietto even though it is still assessing responses to the latest gateway consultation and has yet to make a final decision on whether the scheme will proceed.
The application says the removal of the tempietto and restoration of the site is expected to be carried out in April 2023. But a council spokesman told the Stray Ferret this date was “indicative”, adding it would only be removed as part of the gateway works.
A decision on whether to proceed with the gateway is not expected until late next year.
Classical design
The tempietto, which is inside Harrogate Conservation Area, was built between 1988 and 1992 as part of the redevelopment of the area to create the Victoria Shopping Centre.
Made of Jedburgh sandstone, its classical design was based on the work of 16th-century architect Andrea Palladio’s basilica at Vicenza in Italy.
The government-funded gateway scheme would see major changes to the public realm opposite the train station to make the gateway to Harrogate more attractive to visitors and more accessible to cyclists and pedestrians.
Read more:
- Transport chief still ‘committed’ to Harrogate Station Gateway, despite inflation fears
- £11.2m Harrogate Station Gateway scheme delayed for another year
It would also see part of Station Parade reduced to single lane traffic to accommodate cycle routes and James Street partly pedestrianised. Business groups and residents have voiced concerns about the impact on trade and traffic.
A planning document submitted as part of the council’s application says “the demolition of the tempietto would have a negligible impact on the significance of Harrogate Conservation Area”. It adds:
“Although of low historic significance, the tempietto offers some aesthetic contribution to the historic character and is sensitive to Harrogate Conservation Area in its use of materials.”
The planning document, which describes the little temple’s condition as ‘reasonably good’ also refers to a 2016 character appraisal of the area, which said:
“Unfortunately, apart from the paving of the area enclosed by the quadrant of Victoria Gardens, the opportunity to create an attractive, formal space was not taken and the area presents a very ‘bitty’ appearance with paths, low fences and hedges, and a thoroughly unscholarly tempietto.”

‘Bitty’ — how Victoria Gardens is described.
Emma Gibbens, principal conservation officer for place-shaping and economic growth said in a consultation comment on behalf of Harrogate Borough Council:
Sneak Peek: Cheers! New Harrogate craft beer bar opens today“If the removal of the structure was not part of a new public realm scheme, its loss would be regrettable in terms of loss of visual interest, but could not said to impact detrimentally on the historic environment.
“However, the removal is part of a scheme that will provide a new high quality public realm to this part of the conservation area and there is no objection to its removal in this situation.”
Craft beer lovers in Harrogate can rejoice as a new town centre bar is set to open today.
Husk Beer Emporium and Bar, which is situated on Station Square, will showcase local and UK wide beers.
Joint owners Danny Duckworth and Tom Gill opted for the venture as a natural progression from their shop on Kings Road.
Mr Duckworth told the Stray Ferret that the pair felt the time was right to move towards opening a bar.

He said:
“We have had the shop for three years and we like to think that has created the awareness of world beer in Harrogate.”
Food, drink and an ‘Aladdin’s cave’ of beers
The bar will sell food and drink, including a draught line with everything from German lager to hazy pale ales.
For Mr Duckworth, part of the reason for setting up to bar was to create a place which will also offer affordable, interesting beers.

Three of the draughts on sale will be under £5, enabling people who may not normally opt for a craft beer to be able to try them.
Those who are enthusiastic about their beers will also be to try the “Aladdin’s cave” of unique brews downstairs.
Read more:
- Sneak Peak: The new instagrammable, family-friendly coffee shop
- Sneak Peek: New brasserie and bar will offer ‘a taste of Harrogate’
Customers will be able to design their own grilled cheese sandwiches, while cocktail lovers can sample a range of drinks.
Dogs and children will also be welcome in Husk.
In the long-term, there is also an ambition to put live music on for those who like songs to go with their craft beer.
Crucially for Danny, the aim of the new bar is to create a place for everyone to drink – not just beer enthusiasts.
He said:
“We wanted to create a place where we would want to drink.”
Husk Beer Emporium and Bar will be open from midday today.
Could Harrogate’s ‘little temple’ be moved to ‘neglected’ Starbeck?A Starbeck community group has offered to find a new home for the ‘little temple’ that looks set to be moved from Harrogate.
North Yorkshire County Council said yesterday it had submitted a planning application to remove the tempietto in Station Square.
It plans to sell or recycle the construction so it can open up the area and use the space to host events, as part of the £11.9 million Harrogate Station Gateway scheme.
Postmaster Andrew Hart has written to the council offering to donate £1,000 towards bringing the little temple to Starbeck.
Mr Hart, who founded Starbeck Community Group, which has 1,800 members, wrote in his letter:
“Starbeck is very much the poor relative of Harrogate and Knaresborough and has suffered badly due to a depleted High Street, covid and the economy.
“We noticed with interest that you are planning to recycle or sell the tempietto from Harrogate. Could we please have first claim on it as either a gift or as a purchase?
“The community would be so proud to have this in Starbeck, it would not only enhance our community but it would lift spirits. I would happily start a community fund with a donation of £1000 towards the purchase if necessary.”
Read more:
- Harrogate’s ‘little temple’ could be sold to make way for Station Gateway
- Firefighters and councillors make calls to improve Starbeck crossing
Mr Hart was behind a successful bid last year to relocate eight planters from Harrogate to Starbeck when Harrogate Borough Council decided to get rid of them.
He said “these things help poor neglected Starbeck” and told the Stray Ferret the idea of Belmont Park hosting the little temple had been well received by locals:
“Everyone is working hard in Starbeck to make it look more colourful and this would give us a sense of pride.
“I saw the story and thought ‘this is a great opportunity for us’.”