Revived plans to build eight flats off Stockwell Road in Knaresborough look set to be refused.
Paul Franklin applied to demolish an existing property at 13 Stockwell Road and build six two-bedroom flats and two one-bedroom flats on the site and adjoining land. Parking and landscaping would also be included.
North Yorkshire Council case officer Emma Walsh has recommended councillors on Harrogate and Knaresborough planning committee refuse the application when they meet next week.
Mr Franklin submitted plans to the council last year for nine flats on the plot. But those plans were withdrawn after about 30 residents and Knaresborough Town Council objected, citing concerns the development would be “overbearing and will overlook neighbouring properties”, create parking problems and increase congestion.
The Stray Ferret has followed the issue closely and met residents on site in June last year to hear their concerns and to seek Mr Franklin’s response.
He told the Stray Ferret at the time the scheme would “provide local people a quality and sustainable place to live and enjoy Knaresborough”.
In its response to the consultation on the latest plans, the town council said it “sees no reason to change its objections from the previous applications at this site”.
It added:
“The increase in traffic from this site will have a negative impact on the overall traffic in the area and impact on parking around the St Margaret’s area that already experiences difficulties.”
Ms Walsh’s report said the site is within the development limits of Knaresborough but added the apartment block would be “visually cramped due to the limited width of the site, between St Margaret’s Road and St Margaret’s Gardens”.
It said:
“The development would appear as a visually incongruous addition to the street scene which does not respect the pattern of development.”

The land where the flats would be built.
The report also cited concerns about how close the building would be to neighbours’ homes on St Margaret’s Road and St Margaret’s Gardens as well as “an unacceptable impact on highways safety”.
The report concluded:
“The scale, form and massing of the development would fail to adequately safeguard the character of the street scene.”
Twenty-seven letters of objections were sent to the council.
Councillors on the Liberal Democrat-controlled planning committee will decide whether to accept Ms Walsh’s recommendation when they meet at the Civic Centre in Harrogate on Tuesday, May 7.
Read more:
Moped youths arrested in Knaresborough
Four youths are being investigated for riding a stolen moped, traffic offences and possession with the intent to supply drugs.
North Yorkshire Police said in a statement today, a police community support officer spotted three youths riding a moped without helmets in Knaresborough yesterday (Sunday, April 7).
It added five youths were subsequently arrested following “police activity” and four are now under investigation.
The statement added:
“House-to-house enquiries were carried out in the Stockwell area yesterday, however any CCTV footage would assist with the investigation.
“If you were in the Stockwell and surrounding areas yesterday between 3.30pm and 5pm please check any CCTV or ring doorbell-type CCTV for a red Yamaha moped and a group of youths.
“If you have footage or any information please contact NYP on 101 quoting reference 12240060502.”
Read more:
- Brew York buys The Mitre pub at Knaresborough
- Police officer suspended after violent incident in Harrogate district
Developer withdraws Knaresborough nine homes plan
A developer has withdrawn plans to build nine houses on the site of one of Knaresborough’s oldest houses and garden.
Paul Franklin tabled the proposal to North Yorkshire Council to demolish the property and build the homes on land off Stockwell Road.
It was met by objections from around 30 residents and Knaresborough Town Council.
They argued that the scheme would cause worsening “gridlock across the railway bridge” on Stockwell Road, the “inadequate” number of parking places in a residential area close to the town centre, a GP surgery and schools.
Meanwhile, Knaresborough Town Council said in a letter to the council that the proposal would be “overbearing and will overlook neighbouring properties particularly gardens affecting other residents privacy”.

The area where the homes would have been built.
The town council urged the authority to consider the proposal at a planning committee.
However, the council’s planning portal shows that the application was withdrawn on August 1.
In response to concerns over the plans, Mr Franklin told the Stray Ferret previously:
“For over 12 months we have been in consultation with the council. Under the guidance of external consultees, we have carefully designed a scheme to provide local people a quality and sustainable place to live and enjoy Knaresborough.
“Comments have been received from local residents mainly covering historically-recurring issues which need to be raised with the relevant bodies – Yorkshire Water, highways authority etc.
“Knaresborough has a rich history, but the site is not a historical asset or listed building and is beyond economical repair despite significant investment during ownership.
“Our garden was cleared of nettles, perennial weeds and thistles and four disease-ridden/choked trees over the past two years. Felling of diseased trees was done outside of nesting season, and no Tree Protection Orders were in place.”
Read more:
- Residents object to plans for new Knaresborough development
- Five traffic lights stolen at roadworks in Knaresborough