More than seven out of 10 fines for breaches of lockdown restrictions in North Yorkshire have been handed to men, according to police figures.
North Yorkshire Police revealed yesterday it has issued 328 fixed penalty notices since the third lockdown started.
Of that number, 235 have been to men — 72 per cent of all fines issued so far. Ninety-three have been to women.
Nearly half of the fines have been to people aged 18 to 25.
A total of 160 have been issued for indoor gatherings, some of which have been for house parties.
Read more:
- Lockdown fear needs to be restored, says senior police officer
- Harrogate district on track to achieve vaccine deadline
- Social media campaign to defy lockdown raises concern
Superintendent Mike Walker said officers have to deal with reports of house parties “every night of the week”, mainly in the Scarborough district and York.

Total number of lockdown fines issued by North Yorkshire Police since January 6. Data: North Yorkshire Police.
In Harrogate, 22 of the 34 fixed penalty notices since the third lockdown began on January 6 have been issued for being outside without good reason.
Police have handed 27 of the fines to men. However, most of the breaches have been committed by people from outside the area with just 11 notices given to local residents.
It comes as police pledged to get tougher on those who breach lockdown restrictions and said they would no longer “waste time” with rule breakers.

Superintendent Mike Walker, North Yorkshire Police.
Yesterday Superintendent Walker told a meeting of North Yorkshire Local Resilience Forum, the partnership organisation that leads the county’s response to covid, that officers continued to issue fines but had seen an improvement in the last week.
A total of 87 fines were handed out across the county in week three of lockdown compared with 134 in week two. He said:
“We are starting to see slightly better compliance.
“But we are still having to issue fixed penalty notices to people who do not believe that the regulations are there to follow.”
He added he felt the message to stay at home was getting through to most people, but a minority do not feel it applies to them.
Lockdown fear needs to be restored, says senior police officer“People know what they should be doing and they know why they should be doing it, but they choose to ignore the warnings and the risks and choose to ignore the fact that over 100,000 people have died from the virus.
“They think that what they want to is more important or they think they won’t catch it.
“In my opinion, this is incredibly short-sighted, naive and plain wrong. This is a highly contagious and deadly virus. We’ve all seen the damage it can do and it does not discriminate.
“It only takes one contact with one contagious person who may be asymptomatic to contract the virus and potentially pass it on, an action which may end up with someone losing their life.”
Fear needs to be put back into the public to bring coronavirus rates down during lockdown, the police officer leading North Yorkshire’s response to covid said yesterday.
Superintendent Mike Walker said there was less compliance and fear among people under current restrictions compared with the first lockdown last year, which saw streets empty and more businesses close.
His comments came after North Yorkshire Police said it will come down harder on covid rule breakers. The force also revealed it had issued 107 fines in the first week of the third lockdown — more than double the amount in the first week of the first lockdown.
Superintendent Walker told a meeting of the North Yorkshire Police, Fire and Crime Panel that the force has had to “put back that fear” into communities for them to understand the risk of flouting covid rules.
He said:
“Unfortunately, that fear needs to be put back into the public for them to understand there is a reason why this lockdown is here because of the rates, the excess deaths and the number of people going into hospital on a daily basis.
“Until we see the impact of the national lockdown, you will not see that curve flattening and going down again.
“It’s not ideal that we want to put fear into the communities, but they need to understand the risk that is associated to them.”
Superintendent Walker said the messaging was not scaremongering as the figures in the county are so high. Currently, the North Yorkshire seven-day covid rate is 380 people per 100,000.
He added it was “sad to see” a lack of compliance when North Yorkshire had some of the highest rates in all of Yorkshire.
Read more:
- Coronavirus surge forces Harrogate hospital to postpone surgeries
- North Yorkshire Police pledge to get tougher on covid rule breakers
Of the 107 fixed penalty notices issued in North Yorkshire during the third lockdown, 57 were to people from outside the county and 50 were to those living in the county. Harrogate police issued 10 fines.
Superintendent Walker said on Wednesday (January 13) officers would “no longer waste time” reasoning with people who flout the rules and “have no regard for the safety of others”.
Meanwhile, Julia Mulligan, North Yorkshire Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner, said the rules of the lockdown were clear.
She said:
“The rules and regulations are already very clear but there is a significant minority who seem to think they don’t apply to them.
“The message is simple – stay at home apart from for very specific reasons. Those reasons do not include taking a day trip to North Yorkshire from elsewhere, or travelling to a different part of North Yorkshire if you live here.
“Exercise should be taken close to your home, not close to other people’s homes far from yours in communities who are doing all they can to stop the spread.”