A Starbeck community group has made a renewed call to bring Harrogate’s “little temple” to the area.
An application was tabled by North Yorkshire County Council in November last year to remove the tempietto in Station Square to make way for the £11.2 million Station Gateway scheme.
The proposal was approved by Harrogate Borough Council prior to its abolition on Friday.
The new North Yorkshire Council has said no work on the tempietto will take place until a decision has been made on the gateway project.
However, Andrew Hart, a postmaster, has reiterated a call to bring the structure to Starbeck in order to “rejuvenate” the area.
Mr Hart, who also founded the Starbeck Community Group, wrote to the borough council in November last year requesting that the tempietto be moved to Belmont Field.
He told the Stray Ferret that any move to demolish the structure would be “shameful”.
Mr Hart said:
“When I formally contacted HBC last November I was assured in writing that the Starbeck Community Groups request for the tempietto to be moved to Belmont Field, Starbeck would be taken seriously and discussed with the councillors.
“To demolish it would be shameful. To dismantle and rebuild it in Starbeck would give the community a focal point of pride. The cost would be negligible against the budget for the Harrogate Gateway.
“It would also add to the rejuvenation of Starbeck and reward the whole community for the fantastic effort it makes in carrying out its own projects such as flowers, Christmas lights, street cleaning, and street decorations.”
Read more:
- Transport chief faces Harrogate businesses on Station Gateway
- Local Liberal Democrats could determine fate of £11.2m Harrogate Station Gateway
- Plan to demolish Harrogate tempietto approved
The tempietto, which is inside Harrogate Conservation Area, was built between 1988 and 1992 as part of the redevelopment of the area to create the Victoria Shopping Centre.
Made of Jedburgh sandstone, its classical design was based on the work of 16th-century architect Andrea Palladio’s basilica at Vicenza in Italy.
The government-funded gateway scheme would see major changes to the public realm opposite the train station to make the gateway to Harrogate more attractive to visitors and more accessible to cyclists and pedestrians.
It would also see part of Station Parade reduced to single lane traffic to accommodate cycle routes and James Street partly pedestrianised. Business groups and residents have voiced concerns about the impact on trade and traffic.
In an email seen by the Stray Ferret, North Yorkshire Council officials said the relocation of the tempietto had been raised with council contractors. However, the move would need to be costed and require planning permission.
Cllr Keane Duncan, executive councillor for highways at North Yorkshire Council, said the authority was aware of requests to move the tempietto.
He said:
Plan to demolish Harrogate tempietto approved“We are aware that there is some interest from other organisations in relocating the tempietto and we are looking to understand if this could be achieved should the decision be taken to implement the Harrogate Station Gateway project.”
A plan to demolish Harrogate town centre’s ‘little temple’ to make way for the £11.2 million Station Gateway scheme has been approved.
An application was tabled by North Yorkshire County Council in November last year to remove the tempietto in Station Square.
The proposal was approved by Harrogate Borough Council prior to its abolition on Friday.
However, a county council spokesperson told the Stray Ferret previously that the structure would only be removed if the Station Gateway goes ahead.
The council’s Liberal Democrat-controlled Harrogate and Knaresborough area constituency committee is due to vote on the scheme on May 5, and the council’s Tory leadership has indicated it will abide by its decision.
The tempietto, which is inside Harrogate Conservation Area, was built between 1988 and 1992 as part of the redevelopment of the area to create the Victoria Shopping Centre.
Made of Jedburgh sandstone, its classical design was based on the work of 16th-century architect Andrea Palladio’s basilica at Vicenza in Italy.
The government-funded gateway scheme would see major changes to the public realm opposite the train station to make the gateway to Harrogate more attractive to visitors and more accessible to cyclists and pedestrians.
Read more:
- Transport chief faces Harrogate businesses on Station Gateway
- Local Liberal Democrats could determine fate of £11.2m Harrogate Station Gateway
It would also see part of Station Parade reduced to single lane traffic to accommodate cycle routes and James Street partly pedestrianised. Business groups and residents have voiced concerns about the impact on trade and traffic.
Cllr Keane Duncan, executive councillor for highways at North Yorkshire Council, said:
“Planning approval for the removal of the tempietto does not pre-judge the final decision on the overall Harrogate Station Gateway scheme. Local Harrogate and Knaresborough councillors will have their say on this at a special meeting of the area constituency committee on May 5.
“Removal of the tempietto is key to our plan to create a welcoming and attractive public space in Harrogate town centre. It will only be removed if the overall Gateway scheme receives support and goes ahead.
“We are aware that there is some interest from other organisations in relocating the tempietto and we are looking to understand if this could be achieved should the decision be taken to implement the Harrogate Station Gateway project.”
In a letter to the county council, Matthew Roberts, economy and transport officer at now abolished Harrogate Borough Council, said the borough council also supported the move.
He said:
“Evidence suggests that town centres are at risk of decline in the medium term. Consumer behaviours and expectations are changing and towns must diversify and advance to maintain healthy and vibrant visitor economies.
“The removal of the tempietto from Harrogate Station Square will open the space to provide flexibility for events (e.g. markets) that, in turn, will support town centre diversification and vitality.”
However, Henry Pankhurst, of Harrogate Civic Society, told the council in a letter that no proposal should be approved until the final plans for Station Gardens under the gateway scheme are agreed.
He said:
Plans submitted to demolish Harrogate’s ‘little temple’“We agree that demolition of the tempietto would result in less than substantial harm to the conservation area, but surely no application for demolition should be approved before we know what the final plans are for Station Gardens.
“Demolition in the conservation area must surely be accompanied by knowledge of what its replacement would be.”
Plans have been submitted to demolish the ‘little temple’ in Harrogate town centre to make way for the £11.2 million Station Gateway scheme.
North Yorkshire County Council has applied to remove the tempietto even though it is still assessing responses to the latest gateway consultation and has yet to make a final decision on whether the scheme will proceed.
The application says the removal of the tempietto and restoration of the site is expected to be carried out in April 2023. But a council spokesman told the Stray Ferret this date was “indicative”, adding it would only be removed as part of the gateway works.
A decision on whether to proceed with the gateway is not expected until late next year.
Classical design
The tempietto, which is inside Harrogate Conservation Area, was built between 1988 and 1992 as part of the redevelopment of the area to create the Victoria Shopping Centre.
Made of Jedburgh sandstone, its classical design was based on the work of 16th-century architect Andrea Palladio’s basilica at Vicenza in Italy.
The government-funded gateway scheme would see major changes to the public realm opposite the train station to make the gateway to Harrogate more attractive to visitors and more accessible to cyclists and pedestrians.
Read more:
- Transport chief still ‘committed’ to Harrogate Station Gateway, despite inflation fears
- £11.2m Harrogate Station Gateway scheme delayed for another year
It would also see part of Station Parade reduced to single lane traffic to accommodate cycle routes and James Street partly pedestrianised. Business groups and residents have voiced concerns about the impact on trade and traffic.
A planning document submitted as part of the council’s application says “the demolition of the tempietto would have a negligible impact on the significance of Harrogate Conservation Area”. It adds:
“Although of low historic significance, the tempietto offers some aesthetic contribution to the historic character and is sensitive to Harrogate Conservation Area in its use of materials.”
The planning document, which describes the little temple’s condition as ‘reasonably good’ also refers to a 2016 character appraisal of the area, which said:
“Unfortunately, apart from the paving of the area enclosed by the quadrant of Victoria Gardens, the opportunity to create an attractive, formal space was not taken and the area presents a very ‘bitty’ appearance with paths, low fences and hedges, and a thoroughly unscholarly tempietto.”

‘Bitty’ — how Victoria Gardens is described.
Emma Gibbens, principal conservation officer for place-shaping and economic growth said in a consultation comment on behalf of Harrogate Borough Council:
“If the removal of the structure was not part of a new public realm scheme, its loss would be regrettable in terms of loss of visual interest, but could not said to impact detrimentally on the historic environment.
“However, the removal is part of a scheme that will provide a new high quality public realm to this part of the conservation area and there is no objection to its removal in this situation.”