Police have issued an appeal to find a woman who was racially abused at Tesco Express in Harrogate.
It happened at around 10am on Thursday, October 19, at the store on Cambridge Road.
Officers said a woman was reported as being racially abusive and aggressive towards an Asian woman, who is yet to come forward and report the incident.
The suspect is described as a white woman, about 5ft 6, with dark brown shoulder length hair.
A North Yorkshire Police statement added:
“Officers are appealing for information to help identify the victim of this abuse and to help establish the full circumstances surrounding the incident.
“Anyone with information that could assist the investigation should email Jacob.higgins@northyorkshire.police.uk
“You can also call North Yorkshire Police on 101, select option 2, and ask for PC Jacob Higgins.
“If you wish to remain anonymous, you can pass information to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
Please quote the North Yorkshire Police reference number 12230198588.”
Read more:
- Police car involved in Killinghall collision
- Police CCTV appeal after man glassed at Montey’s in Harrogate
Safety audit to be carried out at Killinghall junction
A formal safety audit is to be conducted at a Killinghall junction after a pedestrian was hit by a vehicle last week.
The news was revealed at a packed meeting last night of Killinghall Parish Council, at which residents vented frustration about safety at the notorious Ripon Road and Otley Road junction.
Michael Harrison, a Conservative who represents Killinghall, Hampsthwaite and Saltergate on North Yorkshire County Council, told the meeting:
“I have a commitment from the county council to do a formal safety audit. It will be proper highways modelling to see what options they will come up with.”
Cllr Harrison added the county council, which is the highways authority, had said it would come up with proposals in three months.
He said he shared residents’ concerns about the junction but admitted he didn’t know the solution, adding.
“If it was obvious there’s no doubt we would have done it.
“I don’t think anyone in this room knows the solution, unless it was a bypass, and I have to say there isn’t support for that.”
Read more:
- Accident reignites calls for traffic lights at ‘horrendous’ Killinghall junction
- Refurbished church aims to meet needs of growing Killinghall community
- Killinghall Cricket Club applies to build new two-storey pavilion
Parish council chairman Anne Holdsworth said plans were approved for a Killinghall bypass in 1937 and the village had been campaigning unsuccessfully for one ever since.
One resident told the meeting the person injured on the crossing outside the Greyhounds Inn last week had suffered a broken ankle and was on crutches.
Most people at the meeting agreed speed was a problem at the junction and in the wider village but there was little consensus over what to do.
Opinions included a 20mph limit, a mini roundabout and traffic lights. There were also concerns about the location of the pedestrian crossing and the bus stop as well as the new Tesco Express entrance.
Knaresborough man admits assaulting two police officers in HarrogateA man has admitted assaulting two police officers outside Tesco Express in Harrogate town centre.
Jonathon Bogg, 31, pleaded guilty to two charges of assault by beating of an emergency worker on December 11, 2022.
The court heard how Bogg had been spotted by the officers on Cambridge Road and tried to run.
The 31-year-old was being pursued by police for another offence. Once caught, he punched both officers in the face and head.
Bogg, of Windsor Lane, Knaresborough, appeared before Harrogate Magistrates Court this morning where he spoke only to confirm his name and enter his plea.
He also admitted a further charge of being in possession of 10mg of diazepam, which is a class C controlled drug.
Bogg was bailed and ordered to appear before the court on January 27 to be sentenced.
Read more:
- Man jailed for two-month fraud spree at Harrogate and York hotels
- Ripon man appears in court charged with attempted murder
New Tesco in Killinghall to open on Friday
The new Tesco Express in Killinghall will open on Friday.
The shop is located on the site of the former Three Horseshoes pub on Ripon Road in the heart of the village.
Tesco confirmed the news today, saying the new store will provide 15 jobs and be “an exciting new addition for the community”.
It will open for the first time at 8am on Friday and then be open from 7am to 11pm every day.

The Three Horseshoes in Killinghall before it was destroyed.
Store manager Matthew Gilbert said:
“We are extremely excited to be opening our Killinghall Express store and helping to serve the local community at this difficult time.
“The safety of our customers and colleagues is our number one priority and we have been working hard to introduce the social distancing measures designed to keep everyone safe, whilst still offering the local community brilliant service, a broad range of products including fresh food and food to go, and we look forward to welcoming our first customers.
“We have new colleagues joining the team at the store who are from the local area and that local knowledge and experience will be so important as we look to build connections and play our part in the community.”
Read more:
- Tesco moves forward with plans on Killinghall pub site
- Nearly 200 sign petition supporting new Harrogate Tesco
A statement by Tesco said the shop will give community grants and contribute to local food banks.
Any local groups that would like to apply for grants can do so here.
Tesco has submitted a planning application to open a large store a mile away on the site of the former gas works at New Park.
Traffic disruption expected in Killinghall next weekDelays are expected in Killinghall next week when new electricity cables are laid for the village’s forthcoming Tesco Express.
Temporary traffic lights will be installed and buses and lorries will be prevented from turning in and out of Otley Road from Ripon Road.
The measures will allow Northern Powergrid to excavate a trench and install cables beneath the pavement outside the Tesco on Ripon Road.
Northern Powergrid has written to residents saying work is expected to last 10 days. The letter says:
“There will be a certain amount of disruption during the implementation of this work but every effort will be made to keep this to a minimum.”
The letter adds the traffic lights will “inevitably lengthen journey times” and buses will be affected.
A barrier and temporary walkway will operate outside the Tesco for pedestrians.
Read more:
- Stray Views: Harrogate Tesco would be ‘;horrendous’ for nearby residents
- Killinghall resident looks into ways to reopen village pub
A spokesman for The Harrogate Bus Company, which is part of the French company Transdev, said:
“This will mean our service 24 will be diverted in the Killinghall area, while journeys on our 36 route may also experience some delays.
“Full details of alternative arrangements are being advertised to keep our customers informed, including on our Twitter feed ‘@harrogatebus’ and on the free to download Transdev Go mobile app.”
The Stray Ferret asked Tesco when the store was due to open. All it would say was “early 2022”.
Work on new Tesco set to begin on MondayBuilding work on a new Tesco Express in Killinghall is set to begin on Monday.
The supermarket is to open a store on the site of the former Three Horseshoes pub in the heart of the village on Ripon Road.
Castlehouse Construction, which is carrying out the work, notified residents this week.
It said in a letter to them that work is expected to last for 34 weeks, which would mean a finish date in November. The company is also building four flats.
Demolition of the pub is due to commence on March 29 and take four weeks. The letter adds:
“This operation may cause some noise but we will endeavour to keep this to a minimum.”
In August, Tesco applied for an alcohol licence from 6am to 11pm seven days of the week at the site, which has hosted a pub for 150 years.
A Tesco spokesman said:
“We are pleased to say that work is beginning at our new Killinghall Express store.
“We hope to have the store opened by 2022 but we’ll keep the local community updated as the work continues.”
Read more:
A pub has operated on the site for 150 years.
Locals asked the public body Historic England to grant the pub listed status but this was rejected.
The Greyhounds Inn opposite the site has been closed for years, which means the centre of Killinghall could be without a pub when they are allowed to re-open, despite huge growth in the village.
Another late night queue at Harrogate TescoJust three hours after Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced another national lockdown yesterday, a large queue had formed outside the Tesco Express in the centre of Harrogate.
This video was taken minutes after 10pm — when pubs closed — and shows little sign of people conforming to social distancing guidelines.
The same situation arose last weekend at pub closing time.
But with all pubs forced to close from Thursday, further instances are unlikely to be repeated anytime soon.
Harrogate town centre was busy last night, with Halloween many people making the most of a final weekend of the pubs being open.
Read more:
- 71 more people test positive for coronavirus in the Harrogate district
- Harrogate district’s coronavirus rate rises above national average

The Harrogate district’s seven-day rolling average infection rate is 251 people per 100,000 people, which is the highest of the seven district and borough council regions in North Yorkshire.
It is also higher than the England average of 223 per 100,000 people.
According to government figures, Harrogate west and Pannal has recorded the most new infections in the district in the last seven days, with 43.
The next highest is Harrogate central with 36 followed by Killinghall and Hampsthwaite with 31.
Ripon north and west recorded the fewest new cases, with just four.
Long queues outside Harrogate shop after pubs closeA Harrogate resident has sent us a video of large queues forming outside a shop in the town immediately after the pubs closed.
The footage shows dozens of people waiting outside Tesco Express on Cambridge Road at 10.02pm on Saturday.
Phil Riverside, the Harrogate resident who captured the scenes, raised his concerns about the gathering. He said “it just doesn’t make sense”.
Read more:
- Police say they will act to disperse any post-curfew parties
- Harrogate care home unable to get flu jabs for staff
He also echoed fears nationally that a pub curfew at 10pm will move groups out of the venue’s controlled environment and out onto the streets.
The Stray Ferret took the video to North Yorkshire Police and Harrogate Borough Council. The council said it was a matter for the police and the police declined to comment.
While it is not on the same level of a gathering in York’s city centre from last month, the police have previously committed to dispersing groups.
Superintendent Mike Walker, gold commander for North Yorkshire Police’s response to Covid-19, previously said:
“It’s very clear that we are at a turning point now, where everyone’s personal choices will have a significant effect upon the rate at which this virus spreads over the coming weeks.”
We also showed the footage to Tesco. The store did not want to comment on this specific case but said it follows all government guidance on coronavirus.
