Knaresborough man needs £6,000 for Ukraine fire engine appeal

A Knaresborough man, who is raising money to buy and send an ambulance to Volodymyr in Ukraine, is hoping to raise the remaining £6,000 of his target through upcoming fundraising events.

Bob Frendt, who is in his 70s, has raised £18,000 of his £24,000 target which will fund one of two fire engines, as well as travel costs for him and four other passengers.

After being stuck at £7,000 for several weeks, Mr Frendt received an anonymous £10,000 donation which boosted the funds significantly.

Mr Frendt, who is a retired truck driver, began his humanitarian work over 18 months ago when the war between Ukraine and Russia began.

He said:

“I saw it on the TV when it started and saw the conditions these people were living in.

“I said to my wife ‘I can’t just sit here; I need to do something to help’.”

He took his first trip to Volodymyr shortly after as a co-driver for another humanitarian worker.

Since then, he has made eight trips to the Ukrainian city and has delivered vital medical equipment.

This time, the Mayor of Volodymyr asked Mr Frendt to supply the city with a fire engine, as the original one is now in use in Kyiv.

He said:

“As soon as the mayor requested that I began searching for a fire engine which I found almost immediately.

“I have bought the vehicle through Angloco Ltd, in Batley, who have been very helpful and extremely instrumental in finding the fire engine to take to Ukraine.”


Read more:


Mr Frendt is hoping to raise the remaining money, plus another £4,000 to cover travel costs, before the end of October, so he can set off before the winter weather begins.

He added:

“We still need donations to make sure we can set off before the end of October.

“Any donations will be gratefully received.”

Bob’s Fundraising Events:

Bob is holding a quiz night and raffle at The Empress pub, in Harrogate, on October 5. Tickets will cost £2 on the door.

The following night, Knot Another Choir will be performing a fundraising concert at Trinity Church in Knaresborough. Tickets are £10 and can be bought online or on the door.

A Concert for Ukraine will also be held at the Frazer Theatre in Knaresborough on October, 7, from 7.30pm

A donation of the profits will be made to help fund one of Mr Frendt’s ambulances. Tickets cost £10 for adults and £5 for under 16s

Donations can be made via Mr Frendt’s Just Giving page.

Outdoor tables set to remain at The Empress

Harrogate Borough Council appears to have withdrawn its threat to remove tables and chairs outside The Empress.

More than 3,000 people in a week signed a petition by owners Simon and Sharon Colgan calling on the council to reverse its decision.

The Colgans say they now only needed to reduce the distance between the outside tables and chairs, while still adhering to two metre social distancing guidelines.

The couple have also been told to remove tables and chairs from outside The Blues Bar, which they also own but that situation remains under review.


Read more:


The council had given both pubs one week to remove all of their tables and chairs over fears they could damage the Stray.

Ms Colgan told the Stray Ferret the latest development was good news for her workforce and for customers:

“We would like to thank the customers who went out of their way to sign our petition from last Friday. It has been incredible. Even some of our old customers who now live in America took the time to help. It means that we can serve more customers and keep more people in work.”

The Stray Ferret approached Harrogate Borough Council for comment today but did not receive a response by the time of publication.

Update: A council spokesman said: “Following a positive meeting with the Empress public house, we have agreed to provide a temporary licence that allows them to use an area outside to maintain social distancing.”

More than 2,000 call for council to leave tables outside Harrogate bars

Two Harrogate bars are fighting back against the council’s threat to remove their outside tables and chairs with a week’s notice.

Over the weekend, more than 2,000 people have signed a petition calling on Harrogate Borough Council to reverse its decision.

Simon and Sharon Colgan run both The Blues Bar and The Empress, and took advantage of the relaxed rules on outdoor dining in recent months.

Now, the council said it will remove any tables and chairs left on the grass after this Thursday. It raised fears that Stray land could be damaged when the weather changes.


Read more:


Dozens of messages of support were posted after the Stray Ferret shared the news that the outdoor chairs and tables would have to be removed.

Sharon said she has around 2,000 signatures behind the bar and nearly 600 on the change.org website over the weekend. The website reads:

“Please sign a petition to keep the tables and chairs outside The Blues Bar and The Empress. The area has allowed us to keep our patrons safe and our staff employed. Without this space we won’t be able to attract the number of customers we need to keep our staff employed.”

Simon and Sharon Colgan are the owners of The Blues Bar and The Empress.

A spokesman for Harrogate Borough Council told the Stray Ferret:

“Given the time of year and the impending bad weather, we are now asking all businesses who have been using Stray land for tables and chairs to remove them. This is to prevent damage to the Stray and also reduce the risk of injury should it become wet and muddy.”

The owners of The Blues Bar and The Empress have said that they would contribute towards maintenance of the Stray if it became an issue. They are meeting with council officers later in the week to discuss the situation.

North Yorkshire County Council had previously said it would be “happy to review any requests for longer term use of the public highway” for al fresco dining.

Harrogate council threatens to remove tables from outside bars

Harrogate Borough Council has told the owners of two bars in the town that they must remove their outside tables and chairs by next week.

Simon and Sharon Colgan run both The Blues Bar and The Empress, and took advantage of the relaxed rules on outdoor dining in recent months.

The couple told the Stray Ferret recently that the alfresco-style dining had doubled bar sales compared to the same time last year.

But the party appears to be over. Mr and Mrs Colgan said they received an “aggressive” letter from the council telling them that they can no longer use Stray land.

The letter said the changing weather in autumn meant the Stray could be damaged, or customers could be put at risk, if the grass continues to be used. It advised that unless furniture was removed by next Thursday, the council would remove it and dispose of it.


Read more:


Sharon told the Stray Ferret that she would be willing to contribute towards maintenance of the Stray if it became an issue:

“There can be a small amount of damage from tables and chairs but we are willing to look after the grass. If the council had a conversation with us then we would have made that clear, but they have just sent us a letter out of the blue with a week’s deadline.”

Yorkshire Hotel has taken full advantage of the temporary outdoor seating rules.

The Blues Bar and The Empress appear to be the only businesses affected. Simon Cotton, the group managing director at The Yorkshire Hotel, said he has not seen any such letter after using the grass along West Park.

A spokesman for Harrogate Borough Council told the Stray Ferret:

“Over the summer we have taken a pragmatic view of allowing businesses to use public open spaces so that they can operate while adhering to social distancing requirements.

“Given the time of year and the impending bad weather, we are now asking all businesses who have been using Stray land for tables and chairs to remove them. This is to prevent damage to the Stray and also reduce the risk of injury should it become wet and muddy.”

North Yorkshire County Council had previously said it would be “happy to review any requests for longer term use of the public highway” for alfresco dining.

Discount scheme extended in district restaurants

As the Eat Out To Help Out scheme comes to an end today, its success has led some local restaurants to extend it at their own expense.

The scheme has allowed restaurants and cafes to boost their profits after being forced to close during lockdown.

Restaurants in the district extending the scheme include:

Customers should contact the restaurant regarding the offer prior to booking.

Simon Wade, owner of The Grantham Arms in Boroughbridge, said:

“It’s been phenomenal – it’s been like having a six-day weekend. We’ve had to bring in new suppliers as many just didn’t realise it would be this busy.

“In terms of money, we lost £250,000 of turnover during lockdown. The scheme has drastically increased our turnover but we have had to employ more staff.

“We are introducing our own scheme – I just think we can’t not piggy back on the back of something so successful. We know everyone loves a bargain and I am pleased to offer it.”

Interior of The West Park Hotel, Harrogate

Both restaurants are extending the scheme in order to capitalise the surge in bookings it has encouraged.

The owner of The Empress on the Stray, Sharon Colgan, said:

“Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday throughout August have been a real success changing people’s perspective on early-week dining. We are hopeful it will continue through September and we will look at possibly extending until the end of the year if it continues to be a success.”


Read more:


The West Park Hotel is extending the scheme in celebration of its owner Provenance’s 10th anniversary.

Anthony Blundell, assistant general manager, said:

“It has gone incredibly well – it’s been like having Saturdays at the beginning of the week. Lunch and dinners have been much busier, we’ve had to take on more staff to cover demand.

“We’ve had a lot of people who may not have come before the scheme. We saw a high increase in sales, 120 at night and 60 to 80 diners for lunch, whereas before it was around 20. We lost three months of sales and had renovations so it’s good to start paying that back.

“Extending the discount is a great thing and it gives people who missed out the chance to give it a go.”