Season high crowd watch Harrogate fightback against Wrexham

More than 3,700 fans watched Harrogate Town fight back to draw against Hollywood-backed Wrexham FC.

The highest crowd of the season so far braved the cold temperatures to see Harrogate earn a point against the newly promoted side.]

Build up to the game centred around whether Wrexham’s A-list owner Ryan Reynolds and co-owner, fellow actor Rob McElhenney, would make the visit to the EnviroVent Stadium.

Club officials cited the “Hollywood factor” as the reason behind the Wetherby Road side’s fastest selling game.

Instead, all the focus was on the pitch and the small matter of three points being up for grabs.

Wrexham went 2-0 up with strikes from Andy Cannon and Elliott Lee. However, Dean Cornelius reduced the deficit with a goal before half time.

Early in the second half, Andy O’Conner brought Town level with a header from a free kick.

Both Wrexham and Harrogate had chances to take all three points, but in the end shared the spoils.

A crowd of 3,767 – the highest of the season so far – watched the spectacle.

Wrexham fans also packed the newly opened away end at the EnviroVent Stadium after making the 115 mile trip on a Tuesday night.

While the “Hollywood factor” was cited as a reason for those flocking to Wetherby Road, Town will be hoping to build upon the support as they look to secure their EFL League Two status this season.


Read more:


 

Wrexham apologise to Harrogate Town after failed Luke Armstrong transfer

Wrexham FC has apologised to Harrogate Town and Luke Armstrong after a planned transfer of the striker fell through.

The English Football League rejected a a deadline day deal between the clubs for Armstrong, 27, after it said the Welsh side failed to submit paperwork on time.

This morning, Wrexham confirmed that it would not challenge the decision after considering lodging an appeal.

In a statement, the League Two side apologised to both Armstrong and Harrogate Town after it was “unable to complete the transfer by the deadline”.

It said:

“Having reviewed the additional information received from the EFL and considered this in the context of the submission of the documents for the transfer of Luke Armstrong from Harrogate Town, the club have determined there is no reasonable chance of success if we were to appeal the EFL’s decision to reject the transfer.

“Now this decision has been made, we wish to apologise to Luke as we were unable to complete the transfer by the deadline and Harrogate Town, who we are sure will be as disappointed as we are that the transfer will not now be completed in this window.

“The club will be reviewing the circumstances and processes that have led to this outcome with all the relevant parties.”

The sum for the 27-year-old was not disclosed but it was believed to have been in the region of £450,000, which would have been the most Harrogate have ever received for a player.

Armstrong has scored 31 goals in 106 appearances for Harrogate.

Wrexham have been on the lookout for a replacement for star striker Paul Mullin after he suffered a collapsed lung and four broken ribs during the club’s USA pre-season tour.


Read more: