‘I can’t ever accept the hard reality of losing you’: wife’s tribute to taxi driver killed in Harrogate crash

The family of a man killed in a crash near Harrogate in the early hours of Sunday morning has paid tribute to him.

Masum Miah, 45, died at the scene of the collision, which occurred at 1.20am on the A61 Harrogate Road at Dunkeswick, near Harewood Bridge.

It involved a grey BMW 3 Series and a black Peugeot Partner taxi driven by Mr Miah, from Shipley.

His wife Ambia said:

“With a heavy, broken heart I will have to say Allah Hafiz (goodbye) to you. I can’t ever accept the hard reality of losing you in this tragic, sudden crash.

“I can’t promise you I’ll be okay, but I promise I will bring our kids up the way we planned together. You’ll always be missed because of the way you were humble, funny, loving, caring, and most of all a wonderful husband and father.

“‘For sure it is god who created us and to him we shall return. You have gone, but will never be forgotten. May you rest in peace and our next meeting will be in Jannah. In Sha Allah.”

The scene of the fatal collision.

Dashcam appeal

North Yorkshire Police is continuing to appeal to anyone who may have seen the collision or who may have dashcam footage to come forward.

You can call 101, select option 2 and ask for Steve Hawkins or him at Steve.Hawkins@northyorkshire.police.uk.

Quote reference number 12230111568.


Read more:


 

Royal visitor to Great Yorkshire Show revealed

This year’s royal visitor to the Great Yorkshire Show will be the Duke of Gloucester, organisers have revealed.

The duke, who is a first cousin to the late Queen Elizabeth II, will make his first visit to England’s biggest agricultural show on its first day, Tuesday, July 11.

In 2021, King Charles III and The Queen Consort visited and last year it was the turn of Princess Anne, The Princess Royal.

The duke will be taken on a tour of the livestock and exhibits with show director Charles Mill and lord-lieutenant of North Yorkshire Jo Ropner.

Mr Mills said:

“We are delighted to welcome the Duke of Gloucester to the Great Yorkshire Show for the first time and look forward to showing him some of the highlights including horses, cattle and the latest in farming technology.”

Also attending on Tuesday will be some of the industry’s top-level leaders with MPs on the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Committee.

The chair of the cross-party environment, food and rural affairs committee, Sir Robert Goodwill MP, and committee members will launch a report on the merits and risks involved in species reintroductions in England.

TV presenter Adam Henson will then chair a discussion on the challenges and opportunities for the farming sector.

He will be joined on stage by: Minette Batters, president of the National Farmers’ Union; Mark Spencer, a minister in the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs and Sir Robert Goodwill.

The show will run from Tuesday, July 11 to Friday, July 14.


Read more:


 

Council spends £2m on consultants for Harrogate’s Station Gateway

More than £2 million has already been spent on outside consultants to work on Harrogate’s controversial Station Gateway scheme, figures reveal.

The £11.2 million active travel project will transform the area outside Harrogate Station to make it more friendly for cyclists and pedestrians.

It’s being led by North Yorkshire Council, which replaced North Yorkshire County Council, which previously led on the project, in April due to local government reorganisation.

To develop the project the council hired global consultancy firm WSP to draw up its business case and preliminary and detailed designs.

Following a freedom of information request submitted by the Local Democracy Reporting Service, North Yorkshire Council has revealed just over £2 million has been paid to WSP so far with the majority going towards design costs.

In a statement, the council argued that its use of consultants for the scheme is commonplace and typical of large-scale active projects across the country.

It also said consultants can help when there is not the required expertise within the council.

But the public sector’s increasing reliance on consultants, often to plug gaps created during austerity, has troubled some with a Guardian editorial published in March stating consultants are a “symptom of shrinking faith in the public sector”.

‘A money pit’

Liberal Democrat councillor for Knaresborough West, Matt Walker, who is a critic of the Station Gateway scheme, told the LDRS that the amount spent on consultants is a signal that the project “is shaping up to be a money pit“ for taxpayers.

Mr Walker, who will be standing for the Lib Dems in next month’s Selby and Ainsty by-election, said:

“That is a huge amount of public money to spend on consultants, more than 15% of the cost of the scheme. It’s a money pit that is not part of a wider strategic plan for active travel and one which does not have the full backing of the local community, or businesses.

“The cost of building materials has already sky rocketed since the original costing for the scheme was done. Are we going to cut back on what is delivered or pour money tax payers money into this scheme?

“What Harrogate needs is real investment, as part of a strategic plan to deal with congestion. Innovative and exciting options for active travel not costly consultants.”

‘Increased consultation pushed up costs’

The council said the sum paid to WSP has increased due to the additional public consultation which led to designs being changed.

Karl Battersby, the council’s corporate director of environment, said:

“Consultants have only been used where there is not sufficient in-house resource or very specific expertise within the council. This is a common occurrence with consultants used for almost, if not all, Transforming Cities Fund projects across the country.

“The cost includes survey work as well as individual disciplines – landscaping, highways, traffic modelling, signals, drainage, lighting – consultation support, planning and Traffic Regulation Orders, and project management, including business case development, risk reviews, programming and attendance at meetings.

“The design cost has increased where additional works have been identified, such as revisions to landscaping or additional consultation engagement.”

Background to the scheme

Among the proposals include redeveloping the area outside Harrogate Station, making Station Parade single-lane to add cycle and bus lanes and part-pedestrianising James Street.

But it’s divided the town with the results of the third and final round of public consultation, published in January, suggesting the Harrogate public are narrowly against it.

It’s still to receive final approval but won the backing of senior councillors in Northallerton at a meeting last month.

The predicted cost of the scheme is now £11.2m — a sum that has risen considerably from the £7.9m initially suggested by council.

Man charged over collision that seriously injured two Harrogate teenagers

A man has been charged in connection with a collision on Yew Tree Lane in Harrogate that left two teenagers seriously injured.

The 15-year-old Rossett School students who were walking to school at the time, were taken to hospital following the collision at 8.46am on February 2.

Benjamin Oakes, 46, of Tewit Well Avenue, Harrogate has been charged with two counts of causing serious injury by careless driving in a Vauxhall Astra.

He is due to appear at Harrogate Magistrates Court this morning.

Police said a second man who was interviewed under caution will face no further action.


Read More:


 

Volunteers spruce up Starbeck and the Pinewoods

Armies of volunteers have been out in force lately, doing their bit to improve the parts of Harrogate they care most about. 

Starbeck railway station has been given a makeover by a team of volunteers from Northern, Starbeck in Bloom, Friends of Starbeck Station and Halifax Station Partnership. They gave the underpass a new lick of paint and then spent time litter-picking and tidying up the platforms, underpass and surrounding areas.   

There are now plans for three murals to be installed at the station.      

Photo of volunteers at Starbeck railway station who spent a day tidying it up and painting the underpass.

Volunteers have given Starbeck railway station a “clean bill of health”.

Tony Baxter, regional director at Northern said:  

“I’d like to thank everyone who volunteered to spend the day at Starbeck – there has been an amazing transformation in just one day.”

Meanwhile, on the other side of town, litter-pickers are hoping to make the effects of their work last longer by putting up new ‘Volunteers Have Tidied Here’ signs. 

A pilot study by Keep Britain Tidy has found that such signs, telling the public about volunteers’ clean-up efforts, can help reduce littering by more than 40%. 

The signs, designed specifically for the Pinewoods Conservation Group, have been paid for by Walker Foster Solicitors. 

Neil Hind, chair of the Pinewoods Conservation Group, said: 

“We are very grateful to Walker Foster Solicitors for their funding to help make this happen and to our many volunteers who litter-pick as part of our organised events and also in their own time.

“We hope that these signs act as a reminder that somebody is giving up their time to pick up litter that should have been disposed of properly.” 

The Pinewoods Conservation Group plans to hold various work sessions over the summer that will be advertised on its website and on social media. 


Read more:


 

Business Breakfast: £660m investment fund to be launched

Staff well-being and culture have rapidly risen up the priority list for many employers.  At the next Stray Ferret Business Club  we’ll hear from award winning employer, LCF Law, on how organisations can ensure their teams are productive and happy. 

The lunch event is lunch at Manahatta, on June 29th at 12.30pm. Get your tickets by clicking or tapping here.


A £660 million investment fund to support the growth of small and medium-sized businesses in northern England is set to be launched early next year.

The Northern Powerhouse Investment Fund II will offer a range of commercial finance options with loans from £25,000 to £2 million and equity investment up to £5 million.

The fund, which is being launched by the British Business Bank  will address a funding gap in the north and increase the supply and diversity of early-stage finance for smaller businesses.

Ken Cooper, managing director of venture solutions at the British Business Bank, said the launch of the fund “will further increase the supply and diversity of early-stage finance for smaller businesses in the region, providing finance for firms that might otherwise not receive investment and helping to break down barriers in access to finance”.

Mr Cooper added:

“We know that the levels of private debt lending and equity investment in the north of England remain below expectations given the region’s share of the UK’s smaller business population and that is something this next generation of the fund will continue to address by backing ambitious businesses that will drive sustainable economic growth.”

The fund will operate across three tiers: smaller loans (£25,000 to £100,000), debt (£100,000 to £2 million) and equity (up to £5 million).


Transdev offers free military bus travel

Bus operator Transdev, which includes the Harrogate Bus Company, is offering free travel for Yorkshire’s serving military and veterans on Armed Forces Day on Saturday.

All journeys on the bus firm’s network will be free throughout the day to current forces personnel, cadet volunteers and veterans from the Army, Royal Navy and Royal Air Force.

Armed Forces Day in June each year salutes the service of men and women in the military.

Those eligible must show a forces ID card, wear their uniform or display their medals.

 

Fire ravages home in Harrogate

A house has been badly damaged by fire in Harrogate this afternoon.

Firefighters were called to Hill Top Crescent in Bilton at 3.26pm and are still in attendance. The road was cordoned off.

North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service’s incident report said three fire engines from Harrogate, Knaresborough and Ripon attended.

It did not say whether anyone was injured.

The report added:

“Fire in a garage spread to an attached bungalow.

“Crews have used breathing apparatus, hose reels, main jets and a quantity of firefighting foam.

“The cause of the fire is to be investigated.”

The damaged roof

The road was cordoned off.


Read more:


 

 

Knaresborough man to contest local by-election for Lib Dems

The Liberal Democrats have selected NHS worker Matt Walker as their candidate for the forthcoming Selby and Ainsty by-election.

Mr Walker was brought up in Knaresborough, just outside the Selby and Ainsty constituency boundary, and currently represents the Knaresborough West division on North Yorkshire Council.

He previously campaigned to be the Lib Dems’ candidate for the Harrogate and Knaresborough constituency at the next General Election, but Tom Gordon was selected instead.

A manager in the National Health Service who has raised funds for charities in Harrogate, Mr Walker said he will be putting the NHS at the top of his concerns during the by-election. 

He said:  

“As a candidate I will be a passionate campaigner for the area, listening to residents’ views and championing their issues.  

“Residents across Selby and Ainsty have been let down, our NHS is on its knees. In my professional life I am a manager in the NHS, and in one of my previous roles I spent time managing the GP out-of-hours and minor injuries unit at Selby Memorial Hospital. I’ve seen first hand just how amazing our NHS is and just how much damage the Conservatives have done to it.  

“The Liberal Democrats will be fighting for every vote at this election. Whether it’s the crisis in our NHS or the cost of living, the government has taken North Yorkshire for granted for too long and it’s time for a change.” 

The Lib Dems polled just 4.5% of the vote in the 2019 election, which Nigel Adams won with a majority of 20,137 for the Conservatives.

Mr Adams’ decision to resign triggered the by-election, which will be held on Thursday, July 20. 

The other candidates declared so far are: for the Green PartyArnold Warneken, the councillor for Ouseburn on North Yorkshire Council; for the Labour Party, Keir Mather, a senior public affairs adviser for the Confederation of British Industry (CBI); for the Conservative Party, barrister and East Riding of Yorkshire councillor Claire Holmes; for the pro-Brexit Reform Party, David Kent; and for the Yorkshire Party, Mike Jordan, whose defection from the Conservatives earlier this month lost the party its majority on North Yorkshire Council.

Tyler Callum Wilson-Kerr, a councillor for Aberford & District Parish Council and former Yorkshire Party member, has also confirmed he will stand as an independent. The youngest candidate in the field, he will be campaigning on a platform of devolution, sustainable energy, tenants’ rights, social housing, and the abolition of tuition fees.

Although Selby and Ainsty is centred on Selby and reaches almost as far south as Pontefract, its northern portion includes Spofforth and many of the villages in the Vale of York, such as Great Ouseburn, Green Hammerton and Tockwith.

Photo ID required to vote

In a statement, North Yorkshire Council said anyone interested in becoming a candidate in the Selby and Ainsty by-election must submit a completed set of nomination forms before the deadline at 4pm this Friday (June 23).

Residents of the Selby and Ainsty constituency have until midnight on Tuesday, July 4, to register to vote and until 5pm on Wednesday, July 5, to apply for a postal vote. If someone is unable to vote in person or by post, they have until 5pm on Wednesday, July 12, to apply for a proxy vote.

Voters attending the polling station for the by-election will need to bring photographic identification, such as a UK photocard driving licence, a passport, or concessionary travel passes, such as an older person’s bus pass or blue badge.

Anyone without an accepted form of ID should apply for a free voter authority certificate by 5pm on Wednesday, July 12.


Read more:


 

Missing Harrogate boy, 12, found safe

Police have confirmed that a missing Harrogate boy has been found.

The 12-year-old went missing from his home in Harrogate on Wednesday (June 21).

North Yorkshire Police has since confirmed that the boy has been found safe and well.


Read more:


 

Body found in search for missing Sophie Lambert

Police searching for missing Harrogate woman Sophie Lambert have found a body.

It was found in the River Nidd near Nidd Gorge this morning.

A North Yorkshire Police statement said:

“It is too early to confirm the identity, but Sophie’s family have been informed and are receiving specialist support. We ask that their privacy is respected.

“We thank everyone who has supported the missing person appeal over the last few days.

“A further update will be issued in due course.”

Sophie, 22, was last seen leaving home in Starbeck on the evening of Friday, June 16.

Her family alerted police later that evening and extensive searches were carried out.


Read more: