Harrogate Pride in Diversity has been cancelled again, with the organisers once more citing a lack of volunteers.
The event, which started with a parade through town followed by live music and entertainment in Valley Gardens, drew crowds of up to 26,000.
But it has not been held since 2019, and the latest cancellation after covid has led to an attempt to set-up a new event over the August bank holiday.
Harrogate Pride in Diversity posted on its Facebook page:
“We are so proud of all we have done together in the last few years, but recently life has gotten in the way. Our committee has become smaller, and our lives have become busier.
“We are taking a break from Pride in Diversity. Not forever, but for a little while.
“There will be no Pride in Diversity event this year, but that doesn’t mean we won’t be back.”
Read more:
- Harrogate Pride in Diversity cancelled as volunteers sought for 2023
- Catwalk line up announced for the Harrogate Fashion Show on Saturday
The news prompted Craig Joynson and his wife Rea to start planning a free August event with a view to growing the LGBTQIA+ scene in Harrogate. They have set up their own Harrogate Pride Events Facebook page.

The event in 2019 in Valley Gardens
Mr Joynson said the local LGBTQIA+ community was currently under-served, adding:
“I am looking to provide some form of not-for-profit Pride event over the August Bank Holiday weekend. Not a full on Pride parade — hopefully that’ll be next year — but a social event of some kind.”
Mr Joynson, a former DJ, added he had a venue and DJs lined up and he hoped it could lead to regular monthly events for LGBTQIA+ people and perhaps the return of a Pride march next year.
‘Improved climate’ at Harrogate Army Foundation College after abuse allegations, says minister
Harrogate’s Army Foundation College has a “much improved climate” after allegations of abuse and sexual assault, a government minister has said.
Baroness Goldie, a Ministry of Defence minister, told the House of Lords the college had taken steps to improve and that this was reflected by an Ofsted report in 2021.
It comes after the college on Penny Pot Lane, which trains junior soldiers aged 16 and 17, was hit by allegations of abuse and bullying in 2021.
In February, former instructor Simon Bartram was found guilty of disgraceful conduct and sexual assault over a nine-month period between 2020 and 2021.
Meanwhile, Corporal Kimberley Hey was demoted in rank in November 2021 after being convicted of punching teenage soldiers at the college.
This past week, Lord Browne of Ladyton, a former minister in the MOD under the last Labour government, asked Baroness Goldie what steps the government had taken to improve the inspection of welfare and safeguarding at the college.
Lord Browne pointed out the college itself had recorded 72 complaints of violence by staff between 2014 and 2023, of which 13 cases had been proven.
He said:
“How can the Ministry of Defence be comfortable with this?
“What steps, if any, is it taking to improve the inspection of welfare and safeguarding at the AFC?”
Baroness Goldie described the incidents as “profoundly regrettable and utterly unacceptable”.
Read more:
- Parents call for Harrogate army college to be closed after abuse claims
- Harrogate Army Foundation College instructor demoted for punching teenage soldiers
- Former Harrogate Army Foundation College instructor sentenced for sex assault
However, she added the college had learned from the incidents and “introduced important changes” which were reflected in an Ofsted report in 2021.
Baroness Goldie said the MOD had also introduced new policies to deal with sexual offences, which had helped to improve the situation at the college.
She said:
“The MoD has introduced new policies and changes to deal with sexual offences and unacceptable sexual behaviour below the criminal threshold.
“It has taken steps to improve the complaints system, has created the Defence Serious Crime Unit and has a zero-tolerance policy for sexual offences and sexual relationships between instructors and trainees.
“All of that now reflects a much-improved climate at the college.”
Referring to Bartram, she confirmed the former instructor had been dismissed from the armed forces and added the government had taken “significant steps” to prevent similar incidents happening again.
She said:
Business Breakfast: Harrogate law firm partners with Alzheimer’s Society“Sadly, we cannot ever eliminate the prospect of something unacceptable happening, but significant steps have been taken to try to reduce that possibility.”
It’s time to join the Stray Ferret Business Club. Our next networking event is after-work drinks at Manahatta, on May 25th at 5:30.
Don’t miss out on this chance to network with businesses from across the Harrogate district. Get your tickets by clicking or tapping here.
A Harrogate law firm has announced it has extended a partnership with the Alzheimer’s Society for another year.
LCF Law, which is based on Station Parade, will work with the charity to help create wills for people who wish to donate to the society in their will.
The firm has worked with the Alzheimer’s Society for several years and works with dozens of people every year to draw up their will for free, in exchange for a donation to the charity.
Neil Shaw, head of personal law at LCF Law, said:
“After promoting this partnership to many organisations and community groups throughout Wharfedale, we have had plenty of interest from local people keen to donate or leave a bigger legacy in their will to the charity.
“We also have a similar partnership with Cancer Research and it’s a great way of supporting two charities that make a real difference to so many people.”
Harrogate Town awarded family excellence status
Harrogate Town has been awarded English Football League Family Excellence status for the first time.
The scheme recognises the continuous improvement and best practice that emerges across the league and rewards clubs for their efforts in attracting and retaining young supporters.
It will see the club receive two visit assessments each season, in order to determine the quality of the family matchday experiences they provide.
On the award, Hamilton Mattock, fan engagement manager, said:
“We are really pleased to receive the Family Excellence status; this is a testament to all the hard work everyone within the club has put into making Harrogate Town a family friendly experience on a matchday.
“This is only the beginning of the journey as we strive to continue to improve our supporters match day experience while continuing to improve on our facilities and touchpoints.”
Read more:
- Business Breakfast: Boroughbridge company celebrates long-service staff milestone
- Business Breakfast: Harrogate businesses recognised as ‘best places to work’
Historic hotels in Harrogate, Ripon and Knaresborough set to re-open
Three historic hotels in Harrogate, Ripon and Knaresborough have announced details of when they plan to reopen.
The St George Hotel in Harrogate, the Spa Hotel in Ripon and the Dower House in Knaresborough are all currently closed.
They have been acquired by the Inn Collection Group, which has 32 venues in northern England, and are undergoing major refurbishments.
They have also been renamed as the Harrogate Inn, the Ripon Inn and the Knaresborough Inn.
An Inn Collection Group spokesman revealed today the Harrogate Inn will reopen on July 3. It will have 96 rooms, six more than previously. The six extra rooms are all ground floor suites.

The former St George Hotel, Harrogate
The Ripon Inn will reopen on August 20 with 58 rooms, compared with 43 previously.
The Knaresborough Inn is expected to be the second of the three venues to re-open. A date has not been set but it is expected to be early August. It will have 57 rooms, compared with 38 previously.
The Harrogate and Ripon inns are both accepting bookings now.

The Dower House has a new name and look
The spokesman said:
“The three sites have have undergone significant refurbishment and investment.
“All three will have new look bar and restaurant areas on reopening, and also have had additional rooms added to their stock.”
As part of the reopening activity, all three sites are running a free dinner promotion for guests.
Read more:
- St George Hotel in Harrogate to close at end of month
- Ripon’s Spa Hotel to reopen following sale
- New opening dates for Harrogate and Knaresborough leisure centres revealed
Plan approved for 32 solar panels on Coppice Valley school
Thirty-two solar panels will be installed on Harrogate’s Coppice Valley Primary School after the council gave the go-ahead to the proposal.
Red Kite Learning Trust, which runs the school, tabled the plan with North Yorkshire Council last month.
It will see the panels installed on the school’s roof to generate 13.6 kwp of renewable energy.
The council has since approved the proposal.
In documents submitted to the council, the trust said it felt the panels would help to enhance the character of the building.
It said:
“It is considered that the proposed solar panels would be complementary to the character of the building.
“The visual appearance of the solar panels on the roofed area is considered appropriate for the school building, thereby enhancing the visionary appearance of the site as an up-to-date centre for learning, creating responsible citizens for tomorrow’s world with an appreciation for their surroundings and a duty of care for the environment.
“It is considered that the panels could have a positive impact on the character of the building and no overall detrimental impact on the surrounding area.”
Read more:
- Fountains Abbey plans solar panels in effort to reduce fossil fuel reliance
- Harrogate district villagers demonstrate against 73-home scheme
North Yorkshire buses ‘would have failed’ without government support, says transport chief
North Yorkshire’s transport chief has claimed bus services in the county “would have failed” without support from the council and government.
Cllr Keane Duncan, the Conservative executive councillor for highways at North Yorkshire Council, welcomed yesterday’s latest support from the Department for Transport.
It extended a £2 cap on single bus fares to October. The cap will then rise to £2.50 until November 2024.
Cllr Duncan told councillors yesterday the council had encouraged smaller operators to sign up to the scheme.
It has also stepped in to provide funding to allow the 24 bus between Harrogate and Pateley Bridge to continue.
He added:
“To be clear, without the action of this council over recent months and years against the odds and the action of government with a package totalling £3.5 billion since the pandemic, a great number of North Yorkshire routes would have failed already.
“Our network would have been vastly reduced and in a much worse position than it is right now.”
Read more:
- North Yorkshire transport boss warns bus network faces ‘really grave situation’
- 80 bus services in North Yorkshire under threat, says Harrogate district MP
- North Yorkshire Council to review bus services support, says transport chief
He added that the council did not intend to duplicate any marketing on the government’s £2 cap scheme in light of the recent extension.
The scheme is set to go-ahead in the Harrogate district with Harrogate Bus Company, DalesBus and Connexions confirming their intentions to extend to the cap.
It comes as Cllr Duncan said the council intends to carry out a review of how the council supports bus services in the future amid concerns over passenger numbers.
In a statement to a full council meeting, he said the number of people using bus services “remain key” to the networks’ viability.
Cllr Duncan previously warned that government cash “cannot continue in perpetuity” to fund services.
Police warning amid increase in reports of empty laughing gas canistersPolice have issued a warning after an increase in reports of empty canisters of nitrous oxide being found.
North Yorkshire Police said empty canisters had been found in areas where young people congregate.
Nitrous oxide, commonly known as laughing gas, is the second most-used drug among UK 16- to 24-year-olds. It can induce euphoria and relaxation, as well as hallucinations.
Amid the increase in reports, the force has urged parents to “be viligant” for signs that their children are purchasing it.
In a statement, police said:
“People may believe that because the gas is widely available and easily purchased, that it’s harmless. However, inhaling it can lead to unconsciousness and ultimately suffocation, as the body is essentially starved of oxygen.
“There is also evidence to show that people with heart conditions can be at higher risk of harm and that inhalation can lead to anaemia or long-term nerve damage.”
Read more:
- Laughing gas discovery fuels fears for young people in Harrogate district
- County council plans programme to tackle children being ‘enticed’ to vape
The warning comes after residents in Huby raised concern over canisters of laughing gas being dumped by the side of the road.
In March, John Chadwick, a resident in the village, found 10 canisters left at the side of rural Gravelly Hill Lane.
Mr Chadwick said this was the first time he’d seen the canisters and it “highlights what I believe is becoming an increasing health and behavioural issue predominately amongst younger people”.
Inquest opens into death of Harrogate woman in car crashAn inquest has opened after a Harrogate woman died in a car crash in Scotland.
Alison Pearson-Segal, 64, of Rudding Lane, Follifoot, died as a result of a crash with a coach on the A82 northbound between Luss and Inverbeg on April 17 this year.
Opening the hearing this morning, Catherine Cundy, coroner for North Yorkshire, ordered that a full inquest into the matter be carried out.
The hearing heard that the provisional cause of death was chest and abdominal injuries as a result of a road traffic collision.
An investigation into the crash, which happened at around 1.50pm, is being carried out by Police Scotland.
Ms Pearson-Segal was chair of the Harrogate suicide prevention charity the Ostrich Foundation.
Ms Cundy adjourned the inquest until a later date.
Read more:
- Man jailed for 140mph Harrogate police pursuit after being banned from driving
- Ex-teacher jailed for raping girl at Harrogate district school
Indoor cricket school plans revealed for Harrogate
Harrogate Cricket Club has revealed plans to open an indoor cricket school.
The school would be built on the concrete terraced area at the club’s St George’s Road ground and cost up to £3.5 million.
Architects have drawn up plans for the project, which is likely to take five to seven years to come to fruition.
The school, which would include four lanes of nets as well as other factilities, is in addition to the club’s plans to raise £75,000 on new outdoor nets.
Co-chair Steve Clark said there was a shortage of sports hall space in Harrogate, especially in winter.
He added the cricket school would ensure junior and senior players had a large enough facility for high quality training sessions all year round.
A sub-committee will be set-up to oversee the cricket school project, which will require extensive fundraising, including applications to trusts and foundations for grants.
Mr Clark added:
“The facility will provides a practice facility which can be used when the weather is damp as well as when the sun is shining.
“The nets will be made to a professional standard ensuring the correct bounce and carry for the ball; replicating playing on real grass.”
Outdoor nets
The Stray Ferret revealed in March the club had launched a £75,000 crowdfunding campaign to replace the ageing outdoor nets with new ones.
Fundraising has gone well and the club hopes the outdoor nets will be installed at the end of the cricket season, ready for use by next spring.
Local schools will be able to make arrangements to use them.
Read more:
- ‘Netfix’ fundraiser for village cricket club near Harrogate
- Harrogate’s Archie Gray named in England under-17s Euro squad
Once the outdoor nets are finished, attention will turn fully on the cricket school project.
Harrogate Cricket Club hosted 98 first class matches between 1882 and 2000 and the two current major projects highlight the club’s ambitions to upgrade the club.

The ground hosted first class cricket for over 100 years.
Catwalk line up announced for the Harrogate Fashion Show on Saturday
The line up for Saturday’s catwalk fashion show in Harrogate has been announced with a wide range of the town’s stores involved.
The show has been organised by the Harrogate Business Investment District (BID) and is sponsored by the Victoria Shopping Centre. The Stray Ferret is the media partner.
The show, which is free to attend, will celebrate the town’s mix of retail shops, from independents to national chains.
The main activity will take place between 11am and 5pm in the Victoria Shopping Centre piazza area, with a pop-up catwalk as the focal point of the show.
For fashion-lovers who plan to attend the event, here is the running order for the day:
- 11am – Summer Season – featuring Morgan Clare, Primark, Infinity & Co, Monsoon, M&S, Sophie Likes, Hoopers, Hobbs, Crew Clothing, Sweaty Betty.
- 12pm – Upcycling – featuring an upcycling challenge with – Mumbler, A-Plan Insurance, Nicholls Tyreman and Stray Ferret – all competing have had to find an outfit from Harrogate’s charity shops. The winner announced on the day, as well as a section from Bias.
- 1pm – Wedding – featuring Elite Bridal, Monsoon, Infinity & Co, Hoopers, M&S, LK Bennett and Primark.
- 2pm – Harrogate on the High Street – featuring LK Bennett, Infinity & Co, M&S, Hoopers, Primark.
- 3pm – Activewear – featuring Sweaty Betty, Primark, Harrogate Town, M&S.
- 4pm – Children’s – childrenswear will feature across the show-certificates will be handed out to all the children involved.
Other retailers in the town will also host unique in-house pop-up experiences on the day, including the following sessions:
- LK Bennett – millinery advice from Jenny Roberts from 12-5pm
- Infinity & Co – style and colour counselling in-store and 10% off on the day
- Turkish Baths – hand and arm massages from 10am-3pm
James White, Centre Manager of Victoria Shopping Centre, said,
“We are absolutely thrilled to be hosting the Harrogate Celebration of Fashion on our piazza.
“The fashion show is such a fantastic opportunity to showcase the brilliant retail on offer in Harrogate and support local business, and I am particularly excited that our very own Infinity & Co and Toyland will be featured on the catwalk!”
Matthew Chapman, BID Manager, said:
“This fashion show is a great opportunity to invigorate the Harrogate high street and present the opportunity for retailers to express themselves and their collections.
“It promises to be a brilliant fun-packed day and we hope that everyone who gets chance to take part or spectate, enjoys the event!”
Read More: