Coneythorpe pub reopens by thanking firefighters who saved it
Last updated Oct 25, 2021
Ian and Barbara Gill present the cheque to firefighters.

The owners of a family-run pub in Coneythorpe, which reopened yesterday after 11 months, have thanked firefighters who saved the building.

Fire crews from Harrogate, Knaresborough and Acomb spent six hours battling a blaze at the Tiger Inn, near Knaresborough, in November.

To mark the reopening 11 months on, Ian and Barbara Gill, who have owned the Tiger Inn for 15 years, presented a cheque for £5,000 to the men and women who saved the pub from total destruction.

The money will now go to the Fire Fighters Charity, which helps firefighters and their families cope with injury, illness and rehabilitation.

Read more:

Paul Metheringham, who was the incident commander on the night of the fire, said:

“This is a tremendously generous gesture by the Gills and we are very appreciative. The fire was massive and we were thankful that we were able to save the Tiger from being completely destroyed.

“We know what an important part of the local community the pub is and we are delighted it has now reopened. This cheque presentation makes the re-opening even more special.”

The Knaresborough crew released this picture today.

Mr Gill said:

“This was the least we could do. The local fire brigades from Harrogate, Knaresborough and Acomb were absolutely brilliant, showing incredible courage and expertise. We have so much to thank them for.

“We are delighted to have reopened – and to welcome back our regulars after being closed for so long. During our closure, we have been so heartened and encouraged the support we have received from the local community, who have given us the strength to carry on and to ensure that The Tiger has re-opened in style.

“We were left devastated by the fire. It was accidental and we were grateful that no-one was hurt. As you can imagine, the last 18 months have been extremely challenging. We were already struggling with the serious effects of covid last year, when the huge fire struck.”

Ms Gill added:

“Had it not been for covid, someone would have been on the premises when the fire started. But, on the plus side, as the pub was empty, it meant there was no danger to life. Even so, the part the brave firefighters played in saving our pub was absolutely crucial. We will be forever grateful to them.”