If you are accessing this story via Facebook but you are a subscriber then you will be unable to access the story. Facebook wants you to stay and read in the app and your login details are not shared with Facebook. If you experience problems with accessing the news but have subscribed, please contact subscriptions@thestrayferret.co.uk. In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever. By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.
Already a subscriber? Log in here.
23
Dec 2020

Work to demolish Woodfield House care home in Bilton and build 19 flats could start in a fortnight and last more than a year.
A construction management plan submitted to Harrogate Borough Council says construction firm HACS will start the project on January 4 and continue for 55 weeks.
If the plan is approved, workers will be on site in Woodfield Square from 8.00am – 6.00pm from Monday to Friday and 8.00am – 1pm on Saturdays.
Access to the site is from Skipton Road via the Woodfield Estate.
North Yorkshire County Council's housing company Brierley Homes was granted planning permission for the project last month.
It has sparked controversy because none of the homes is classed as affordable.
This is because Brierley Homes applied for a Vacant Building Credit — a government mechanism to encourage vacant properties back into use, which can be used to remove the provision for affordable housing.
Instead, Brierley Homes will make a financial contribution of £72,528 to Harrogate Borough Council, which granted planning permission.
Henry Pankhurst, ex-chairman and current planning spokesman for Harrogate Civic Society, told the Stray Ferret he was not happy that all the new homes will be sold at market value with no provision for affordable properties, particularly as they are being built by a local authority.
Mr Pankhurst said:
0