Thank you for your interest in this story

To continue reading this article, subscribe to the Stray Ferret for as little as £1 a week

    Already a subscriber? Log in here.

    03

    Jun 2023

    Last Updated: 02/06/2023
    Transport
    Transport

    Fears for rural transport as Masham and Ripon minibus service is scrapped

    by Calvin Robinson Chief Reporter

    | 03 Jun, 2023
    Comment

    0

    yorbusgrantley1-web-1
    A YorBus service, which operates in Masham and Ripon.

    Councillors have expressed disappointment after a flagship on-demand bus service in Masham and Ripon is set to be scrapped.

    Last week, North Yorkshire Council took the decision to end its YorBus pilot on June 30 over cost concerns.

    It was revealed that the service carried just 14,208 passengers over 12 months, at an average cost per passenger of £15.57 across the year.

    Cllr Keane Duncan, executive councillor for transport, said in a statement that the cost of the service was “significantly higher” than traditional routes.

    However, some councillors have expressed disappointment that the on-demand service will no longer continue.



    Cllr Felicity Cunliffe-Lister, who represents Masham and Fountains division, said the bus was used by younger people in her area.

    She said:

    “I’m very disappointed. There were a lot of the younger generation using it.
    “At the same time, it was expensive to run. It was using a lot of money. But it was not a great surprise and I don’t think it was ever to going to get to a break even point.
    “However, I think it does demonstrate that there is a need for bus services in rural areas.”






    Read more:







    She added that she would like to see a community service introduced in the place of YorBus.

    Meanwhile, Cllr Barbara Brodigan, who represents Ripon Ure Bank and Spa, described the decision as “regrettable but understandable”.

    She added that the service was never going to survive in light of the council’s failed £116 million bid to government’s ‘Bus Back Better’ fund.

    She said:

    “Without government help this has had to be funded by the council. Usage peaked over last summer and then levelled off to about 2.4 passengers per hour, more passengers could possibly have made the pilot more cost effective.”


    Cllr Andrew Williams, who also represents Ripon Minster and Moorside, added:

    “It’s sad that the innovative idea has failed to take off but NYC can’t justify the continuation of a service which is costing a subsidy of £14 for each journey made, 
    “I suspect that most council tax payers would think that was pouring money down the drain. We have tried to provide a service but residents have voted with their feet and simply not used it in sufficient numbers to justify continuing further.”


    The Stray Ferret approached North Yorkshire Council to ask why the scheme was not scrapped within the first year given the running costs.

    A spokesperson for the council said the pilot was extended to “explore options for wider rollout could be explored in more detail, including assessing potential zones and a review of the overall delivery model”.

    Meanwhile, Cllr Duncan said that the authority would be reviewing initiatives to help rural transport.

    He said:

    “While continuing to work closely with operators to support at-risk services, we are also currently reviewing a number of initiatives to improve rural transport and asking the public for their views to help shape our future strategy.”