A North Yorkshire pub famous for its food and setting in a historic thatched inn has been “reduced to ashes” in a fire which took hold overnight.
The owners of the Star Inn at Harome, which will be well-known to food lovers in the Harrogate district, called the fire service at around 10pm last night.
Firefighters battled the blaze overnight with nine fire engines on scene at its peak. As of 7am this morning, crews were still working to extinguish the fire.
In a dramatic video posted by the pub’s owners on social media just after 4am the thatched roof can be seen ablaze with smoke billowing out into the night sky. They said:
“It’s been a long night so far…I’m afraid we won’t be open for a while as we are reduced to ashes with The Star on fire and still burning, residents please call after 9 am.”
- Country Living Christmas Fair returns to Harrogate
- Harrogate Scouts group could close after 68 years unless new leaders found
The Star Inn is famous for its food, having held a Michelin star for much of chef Andrew Pern’s tenure who has been at the pub for 25 years.
Fire crews from Helmsley, Kirkbymoorside and Pickering along with the aerial ladder platform from Huntington have attended the fire.
A spokesperson for North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue said at 7am:
“At it’s peak the incident had nine appliances, one aerial ladder platform, one water bowser, one welfare unit and an incident command unit in attendance.
“Crews worked with main jets and hose reel jets to contain the fire and the aerial ladder platform was deployed to removed thatch from the roof.
“The incident is still ongoing and crews are still working to extinguish the fire.”