Thank you for your interest in this story

To continue reading this article, subscribe to the Stray Ferret for as little as £1 a week

    Already a subscriber? Log in here.

    10

    Feb 2023

    Last Updated: 10/02/2023
    Community
    Community

    Bus route changes 'necessary' in face of growing Harrogate congestion

    by Vicky Carr

    | 10 Feb, 2023
    Comment

    0

    microsoftteams-image-3-12

    The company behind planned changes to bus routes around Harrogate has said they are vital to protect services in the face of worsening congestion.

    The Harrogate Bus Company – part of Transdev – said its concessionary passenger numbers had fallen, while roads have become more congested, meaning it has to use extra resources to maintain current service levels.

    It follows complaints from customers that changes to the number 6 route in Harlow Hill, and combining the 2A and 2B in Bilton, could leave vulnerable people more isolated.

    The Harrogate Bus Company's General Manager Steve Otley said:

    "We are currently carrying only 70% of concessionary customers compared with 2019, prior to the pandemic. Meanwhile, worsening road congestion in Harrogate, which has no bus priority measures, means extra resources are needed to maintain service levels.
    "We published our intentions in December to give our customers chance to understand the changes well in advance."


    Residents and social groups had contacted the Stray Ferret with concerns that the streamlined route of the number 6, skipping out Harlow Avenue and the stop outside the Green Hut community centre, could mean elderly and disabled people were unable to access the service.

    While the nearest stops on the new route are just a few hundred metres away, they said this distance could be prohibitive for people with mobility problems.

    In Bilton, combining the two routes will mean residents on Woodfield Road and Dene Park will be unable to access shops and services around King Edward's Drive without going into town and catching the next bus back out again.




    Read more:







    The concerns have been backed by local representatives, including Paul Haslam, Conservative councillor for Bilton and Nidd Gorge, who said he was hoping to negotiate with North Yorkshire County Council and the bus company to find a solution.

    Cllr Mike Schofield, who represents the Harlow and St George's division for the Liberal Democrats, said:

    "Whilst I accept how finances work within business, I feel that there is surely an option for an hourly bus to ensure the elderly and those with physical restrictions still have a means to get out and have their independence.
    "Are we not supposed to be supporting active travel for all?"


    However, Mr Otley said the proposed changes, coming into effect from Sunday, February 19, were the best compromise between route and frequency of service.

    He said the decisions had been made based on current use of stops along the route, adding:

    "We have managed to protect the frequency of route 6 at every 30 minutes with a slightly quicker route, so the Green Hut stop is no longer used. On average, eight customers per day catch a bus from there, six of whom use concessionary passes - and the majority travel between 9am and 11am, suggesting they're not Green Hut users.
    “On the 2, we’ll be delivering more frequent services for the majority of our Bilton customers with a new timetable for route 2. As with the Green Hut stop on the 6, the stops we will no longer serve carry a small number of customers each day.
    “On the current 2A and 2B, 98% of customers travel to/from the town centre, the small number of local trips are to/from King Edward Drive Top which will still be possible on the new route. Customers can also change buses at King Edward Drive Top.
    "While we appreciate that a small number of residents will be inconvenienced, this change protects the timetable and speeds up journeys for the vast majority, protecting the busier stops along the route."