Overheating ice machine caused fire in village pub near Knaresborough
by
Aug 2, 2023
The Tiger Inn at Coneythorpe pictured this morning.

North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue has said a fire at a village pub near Knaresborough this morning was caused by an overheating ice machine.

The Tiger Inn at Coneythorpe looks set to be closed for several weeks after suffering what was its second fire in three years.

Firefighters were summoned at 5.45am this morning.

North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue said in a statement:

“A number of crews attended and found a fire which had started in the kitchen and spread to the bar, toilets and a cloak room.

“Crews used breathing apparatus, four hose reel jets, positive pressure ventilation fans and thermal imaging cameras.

“Everyone was out of the property on the arrival of crews, one person was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation but did not require hospital treatment. The cause of the fire is believed to be an overheating ice machine.”

In a Facebook post, the Tiger Inn said that, while most of the pub building was fine, the kitchen was “not quite as fortunate”.

It added:

“We cannot thank the fire service and paramedics enough for their swift response and incredibly professional manner with which they dealt with the situation.

“The majority of the pub is also fine but the kitchen was not quite as fortunate. In light of this The Tiger will not be open for the next few weeks.”


Read more:


In November 2020, fire crews from Harrogate, Knaresborough and Acomb spent six hours battling a blaze at the pub.

The pub underwent 11 months of refurbishment before it reopened in October the following year.

 


Download the FREE Stray Ferret app here to access the latest news, competitions and offers.