Plan approved to convert former Ripon City Club into house
by
Last updated Oct 14, 2022
The former Ripon City Club on Water Skellgate.
The former Ripon City Club on Water Skellgate.

A plan to convert the former Ripon City Club into a house has been approved.

The club was initially built as the Jepson’s Hospital, a ‘Blue Coat’ school for poor boys in the city, before it closed in 1927.

It was then taken over by Ripon City Club, which occupied the building on Water Skellgate before it closed due to a dwindling membership in December 2019.

According to documents submitted to the council, the number of members at the club 20 years ago stood at 300. However, the figure dropped to just 11 by the start of 2019.

Now, Harrogate Borough Council has approved plans to convert the building into a three-bedroom house.

The proposal was tabled in January by Joplings Property Consultants on behalf of applicant Mr Jeet Sahi.


Read more:


The developer said in its documents:

“The proposed change of use to a single residential dwelling is required by the applicant for him and his family to occupy. 

“The previous use of the building is redundant, the proposed change of use to residential is in line with planning policies to meet the demand for new residential housing.”

The club will become the latest in the Harrogate district to be earmarked for housing following the demise of its membership.

Last month, the government rejected an appeal to convert the former National Reserve Club in Harrogate into flats.