Thank you for your interest in this story

To continue reading this article, subscribe to the Stray Ferret for as little as £1 a week

    Already a subscriber? Log in here.

    28

    May 2021

    Last Updated: 27/05/2021
    Politics
    Politics

    Royal Hall roof set for repairs following 'ongoing' leaks

    by Calvin Robinson

    | 28 May, 2021
    Comment

    0

    Harrogate Borough Council is to award a contract to repair and refurbish the roof at the Royal Hall. It said there had been an "ongoing issue with water ingress" from the central dome on the roof.

    royal-hall-harrogate
    Photograph: Flickr, Tony Hisgett

    The Royal Hall in Harrogate is set to undergo roof repairs and refurbishment after an "ongoing issue" with leaks.

    Cllr Graham Swift, cabinet member for resources, enterprise and economic development at Harrogate Borough Council, approved awarding a contract for the repairs earlier this week.

    It will see the roof repaired and refurbishment carried out to ensure the “premises are wind and watertight and legislative compliant”.

    The move follows a condition survey carried out by the council in February last year.




    Read more:







    It also investigated an ongoing issue of “water ingress emanating from the main central copper dome on the roof”.

    A report before Cllr Swift said:

    “In line with good asset management, a detailed condition survey of the Royal Hall was completed between January and February 2020 to provide an updated building condition report, with costings, over a 10-year cycle.
    “It was also to investigate an ongoing issue of water ingress emanating from the main central copper dome on the roof, into the lower lantern and then finding its way down to the auditorium floor below.”


    The report said the works will see "undertaking timber repairs and forming ‘out shoots’ for rainwater drainage" and maintenance work for areas of slipped and damaged slates.

    It added that six contractors expressed interest in the contract, which closed for tendering on March 26.

    However, just two contractors bid for the contract by the time the process closed.

    While the council approved the awarding of the contract, the report did not include who the bidders were, how much it would cost or whether or not the Royal Hall would be closed during the works.

    The Stray Ferret approached the council for a response to those questions, but had not received a response by the time of publication.

    The grade-II listed building underwent a major £8 million restoration project back in 2005.

    Following the restoration, the Royal Hall was reopened by the Prince of Wales in January 2008 when it was completed.