Thank you for your interest in this story

To continue reading this article, subscribe to the Stray Ferret for as little as £1 a week

    Already a subscriber? Log in here.

    17

    Nov 2022

    Last Updated: 17/11/2022
    Transport
    Transport

    Call to retain taxi zones in North Yorkshire amid proposed changes

    by Calvin Robinson

    | 17 Nov, 2022
    Comment

    0

    Councillors have sought assurances that North Yorkshire County Council will consider keeping local taxi licensing zones amid concern over moving to a single policy.

    screenshot-2022-06-21-at-15-59-22-2
    The taxi rank on Station Parade in Harrogate.

    Calls have been made for North Yorkshire to consider keeping local taxi licence zones amid a proposal to move to a single policy.

    Cllr Andrew Williams, county councillor for Ripon Minster and Moorside, called for assurances that council officials would look at retaining local licensing zones after concern from cabbies.

    Under proposals already put forward, the new North Yorkshire Council would create a single licensing policy for hackney carriages and private hire vehicles in the entire county.

    It would mean drivers in Harrogate could operate anywhere in North Yorkshire, whereas they are currently restricted to the Harrogate district.

    Cllr Williams told a council meeting yesterday that local drivers had raised concern that the changes would lead to taxis flocking to areas during high demand, such as a large event, leaving customers in other areas struggling to get a cab.

    He said:

    “I have been approached by taxi drivers who I represent who are very concerned that any form of deregulation could lead to problems in terms of actually being able to get a taxi because taxi drivers will move from rank to rank depending on when there is a busy day in a certain locality.”






    Read more:







    Cllr Williams added that fare rates for the entire county should be based on the highest charged otherwise drivers could lose out on income.

    The council said previously that fares for hackney carriages would be reviewed at a later date.

    In response, Cllr Carl Les, leader of the county council, said that all views submitted to a consultation over the changes would be considered.

    He said:

    “I think they are all valid points.
    “Hopefully they will all come out in that consultation and then we will make the decisions when we have heard what people have actually said.”


    Changes will cause "chaos"


    The move to propose a single licensing policy has caused concern for cabbies in the Harrogate district.

    Richard Fieldman, who has operated his cab in Ripon for 28 years, told the Stray Ferret previously that the planned changes would see drivers “swamp” areas during the busiest times of day.

    Mr Fieldman said the move would see quieter areas deprived of taxis during the busier times.

    He said:

    “It will mean that any taxi can work in any area.
    “You are going to have swamps of taxis in busy areas at busy times. That in itself brings chaos.”


    A consultation into the policy changes is open until January 19, 2023. You can have your say here.