If you are accessing this story via Facebook but you are a subscriber then you will be unable to access the story. Facebook wants you to stay and read in the app and your login details are not shared with Facebook. If you experience problems with accessing the news but have subscribed, please contact subscriptions@thestrayferret.co.uk. In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever. By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.
Already a subscriber? Log in here.
18
May

Shoppers have been warned they could face empty shelves at Morrisons supermarkets across northern England.
Morrisons has supermarkets in Harrogate, Ripon and Boroughbridge in the district.
Nearly 500 HGV drivers employed by Eddie Stobart to supply the supermarkets are being balloted for strike action.
Unite the Union said the drivers, who are based at Morrisons’ distribution depots in Wakefield, Stockton-on-Tees and Northwich in Cheshire, are angry over Eddie Stobart’s increasing use of agency drivers instead of full-time workers.
Unite said about 40 per cent of drivers in Stockton and Northwich are now agency staff on insecure contracts and diminished terms and conditions.
Sharon Graham, Unite general secretary, said:
Eddie Stobart’s attempts to undermine drivers’ pay and conditions, creating a race-to-the-bottom on employment standards is appalling. This disgraceful union-busting will not be allowed – these workers have Unite’s absolute backing.
The workers, who being balloted until June 4, are responsible for delivering every type of grocery to Morrisons supermarkets. The smaller Morrisons Daily convenience stores would not be affected.
Unite regional officer Neil Howells said: “Morrisons will be extremely angry that it is facing empty shelves because Eddie Stobart is union-busting. There is still time to avoid strikes, but that will require Eddie Stobart reaching a fair agreement with Unite.”
A Morrisons spokesperson said:
We understand that Eddie Stobart Ltd and Unite remain in discussions on this issue and encourage both parties to engage constructively to find a solution.
We note that deliveries continue as normal.
A spokesperson for the Culina Group, which owns Eddie Stobart, said:
We have been involved in ongoing constructive consultations with Unite about the best way to deliver a long-term approach to driver recruitment and retention amid the present national driver shortage. We remain committed to finding a sustainable solution to this issue and we will continue to engage with all parties through the previously agreed processes.
0