Ripon pool and playgrounds will not be open for half-term

Ripon’s multi-million pound swimming pool will not be open on time for next week’s half-term school holidays.

It and the new Dallamires children’s play area, created on site as part of the £15 million leisure development, are now expected to open next month, according to staff on site.

The play area, which can be accessed from a public footpath off Knaresborough Road, remains fenced off. A sign on the fencing says it ‘will open as soon as possible in the new year’.

The pool was due to be ready nine months ago and the project is currently £4m over budget.

In a further setback for parents and grandparents looking for places to take children next week, the Ripon City Council-owned Quarry Moor playground will not be reopening for the time being.

Long-term delay

The six-lane pool was originally due to be completed in May last year for an opening in the summer.

But ground stability issues on site that required remediation caused the initial delay and saw Harrogate Borough Council announce that the opening was going to be in November.

Photo of sign at Dallamires Play Area

A weather-beaten sign at the Dallamires Play Area says it would open in ‘as soon as possible in the new year’.


A planned opening date of December 8 was subsequently announced but a fault discovered during testing of the pool’s lining, saw the council say that the opening would take place in January.

When asked if the pool would be open during the half-term holidays, a Harrogate Borough Council spokesman replied:

“A date hasn’t been confirmed yet.”

However, a woman who was hoping to take her grandchildren there next week contacted the Stray Ferret and said:

“I went to the leisure centre this week and was told by two members of staff that the pool would be opening at the start of next month.

“This is frustrating, because I had also visited the leisure centre in January to check if the pool would be open for half-term and was told by staff that it would open either later that month or the beginning of February.”

The grandmother, who asked to remain anonymous, added:

“I don’t want to make a fuss, the staff at the centre were very helpful, but it was disappointing when I also asked about the new children’s playground and was told it would be opening at the same time as the pool.”

Quarry Moor playground still closed

Half a mile from the pool, the Quarry Moor playground, which closed in September because of rat infestation, still remains shut.

Photo of the closed Quarry Moor Playground

The Quarry Moor playground will also be closed next week


Ripon City Council leader Andrew Williams, said:

“We apologise for the fact that the playground won’t be open.

“With the vermin issue under control, we had hoped that it could be back in use for the half-term holiday, but the condition of the play equipment has deteriorated.

“We need to carry out further inspection to assess if it is economical to carry out repairs, or go for a complete refurbishment with the installation of new equipment and aim to reopen in time for the Easter holidays.”

Last year, the city council set aside £70,000 for refurbishment of the playground and Cllr Williams said that additional sources of grant funding were also being explored.


Read more: