Hawico closes Harrogate shop after 28 years

A cashmere clothes shop in Harrogate has closed after 28 years.

Hawico on Montellier Parade was the first Hawico shop outside Scotland when it opened in 1995.

It has now closed, with the loss of two jobs, and the unit is vacant.

David Sanderson, a director of Hawico, said the company had been considering the shop’s future for some time. He added:

“We’ve been in Harrogate quite a while but it seems like it’s run its course. We can’t afford for this business not to pay and it got very marginal in Harrogate so we decided not to renew the lease.”

Mr Sanderson said trade at the store had got “harder and harder” in recent years, especially since covid.


Read more:


Hawico, a family business that makes clothes at a factory in Hawick, Scotland has 10 stores in Scotland, Switzerland, Germany and Italy.

Mr Sanderson said the site of the Harrogate shop was previously owned by another Scottish clothing company and the unit had provided “a little bit of Scotland in Harrogate for some time”.

It is the latest loss to Harrogate’s high street after the closure of Bijouled, which sold gifts and accessories on Parliament Street and fast fashion brand New Look, which was based in the Victoria Shopping Centre.

Bejewelled

Bijouled is now closed

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Harewood bird garden to close in just nine days’ time

The bird garden at Harewood House will close for the final time at the end of February half term.

The Harewood House Trust announced in January that the attraction would close in the face of a £4 million bill to bring it up to modern standards.

At the time, the charity said the birds would be re-homed over a six-month period, with a final closure date to be confirmed later in the year.

Now, that date has been set: Sunday, February 19 will be the last opening day.

The only exception is the penguin pool, which the trust said it hoped could remain open until the summer.

A spokesperson said:

“Over the next few weeks, the birds – many of which are exotic or endangered – will be re-homed in licensed zoos in the UK better equipped long-term to ensure they continue to have comfortable and enriched lives and to ensure their life-long care.”

The Harewood House Trust said it had faced a difficult few years, particularly with the covid pandemic, and its trustees were “acutely aware of the financial pressures” on the historic estate.


Read more:


The bird garden was first opened more than 50 years ago and while its last zoo inspection praised the health and care of the birds, it also identified problems with the site’s infrastructure.

The trustees investigated refurbishment and potential sources of funding but, in the face of a £4 million investment, decided to close the bird garden. It will be replaced with a woodland garden with opportunities to see native species of birds and animals.

The farm experience will remain on site, and the trustees are hoping to improve the area around the courtyard for visitors, opening up views across the estate.

A statement today expressed the trust’s sadness at closing the bird garden, which it said had been a favourite experience for many generations of visitors, but said it could not make the bird garden the experience it should be.

The spokesperson added:

“We realise that many of Harewood’s visitors love the Bird Garden and have children who love it too. It has been an incredibly difficult conclusion to reach but it is the most responsible and ethical decision to make, to ensure the health and care of these beautiful creatures, but also to ensure Harewood can stand the test of time and be here for as long as it has stood already…

“Thank you to all our members, visitors, volunteers and supporters for your continued support and your understanding. Harewood looks forward to welcoming you throughout 2023 and beyond.”

Harewood House to close bird garden in face of ‘£4m bill’

A popular tourist attraction on the edge of the Harrogate district is set to close one of its main features.

Harewood House has announced its bird garden will close this year, in the face of growing costs and a £4 million refurbishment bill.

The Harewood House Trust said it could not justify spending the money in order to bring the 50-year-old site up to scratch.

Trust chairman Emily Shard said:

“It is with huge sadness that the trustees have reached the conclusion that the bird garden must close.

“Harewood and the Lascelles family have long been committed to the care and conservation of wildlife and nature, but the wellbeing of the birds is paramount. The investment needed to create a modern zoo and maintain this each year is too much for the trust to afford.

“We therefore realise that we must make this change and focus on the long-term ambition of this wonderful place, and on the opportunities that Harewood has to support our environment, represent the people and the communities that live in this area today, and to continue to develop Harewood, to serve its best purpose into the future.”

The trust said its latest zoo inspection had found the birds were well cared for, but that their environments were not up to modern standards.

Its birds will be rehomed over the next six months to more suitable environments and the final closure date of the bird garden will be confirmed later in the year.


Read more:


Harewood plans to retain its farm experience and said it will look at ways to improve the area around its courtyard for visitors, opening up new views of the estate. The bird garden will be replaced with a new woodland garden encouraging native wildlife, including red kites, otters and water birds.

A spokesperson added:

“We realise that many of Harewood’s visitors love the bird garden and have children who love it too.

“It has been an incredibly difficult conclusion to reach but it is the most responsible and ethical decision to make, to ensure the health and care of these beautiful creatures, but also to ensure Harewood can stand the test of time and be here for as long as it has stood already.”

Harewood is reliant on income from grants, including from organisations like Arts Council England, as well as membership and visitor entry money, to continue operating.

The estate is owned by the Lascelles family and is run by a charitable trust.

Fitness studio closes suddenly in central Harrogate

A fitness studio in central Harrogate has closed today with immediate effect.

Lear, on Montpellier Street, offered pilates classes, along with personal training, physiotherapy and sports massage.

However, a message sent to customers at lunchtime today said:

“With great sadness and regret, we have had to close Lear Harrogate with immediate effect.

“All classes and appointments from today onwards have been cancelled.”

There was no further information provided, but the Harrogate branch’s social media accounts have all been closed. Reference to the Harrogate studio has also been removed from the Lear health partners website.

The business’ other branch, in Leamington Spa, appears to be trading still, and has posted on social media in the last few days.

It is not known whether any jobs have been lost as a result of the closure, nor whether any members have lost out on sessions they had already paid for.

The Stray Ferret contacted the parent company for a comment but had not received a response by the time of publication.


Read more:


Lear Harrogate offered membership packages for £99 and £139 a month, as well as pay-as-you-go options including pilates classes at £19 each.

Earlier this year, a planning application was submitted to turn the ground floor of the building into retail space, with 11 new one-bedroom apartments on the first and second floors, as well as a new third floor.

However, new plans were submitted in December showing the number of apartments had been reduced to eight, on the first and second floors only.

The third floor and roof terrace were no longer planned, with a “high performance ‘warm roof’ built up flat roof” instead. The number of windows on the first and second floors had also been reduced.

No.12: End of an era as Harrogate’s last nightclub closes

In the last article of our series on the 12 stories in the Harrogate district that shaped 2022, we look back at the story of the closure of Harrogate’s last night club – the Viper Rooms.

For generations of young people growing up in Harrogate, nightclubs have been an essential part of weekend life.

The likes of Carringtons, Jimmy’s and Josephines are still talked about fondly by people of a certain age. So it’s hard to believe not a single nightclub remains.

The last one, Viper Rooms, closed on December 9 — and the end was swift and brutal.

North Yorkshire County Council, which owns the site on Parliament Street, sent in bailiffs to repossess the building and change the locks just hours before the club was due to welcome Friday night revellers.

Viper Rooms

Repossession notices on door.

Viper Rooms, owned by Paul Kinsey, did not hold back in a social media post announcing the club’s demise after 15 years. It said:

“Having tried for nearly three years to negotiate a new lease with our landlord in good faith and after spending £350,000 refurbishing the club in 2019 they have taken possession of the site, hijacking the process and causing 30 team members to be laid off and causing the cancellation of all the pre-booked Christmas parties.”

Paul Kinsey

Gary Fielding, corporate director for strategic resources at the council, responded by saying it was “protecting the best interests of North Yorkshire’s taxpayers”.

Mr Fielding added:

“We have tried hard to understand the difficulties all our tenants have experienced as a result of the covid pandemic and to offer them our support. This has, in turn, had an impact on our own finances.

“Residents and businesses here rightly expect us to ensure that every effort is made to protect public money and we have a duty to do just that.

“While we do not want to comment on individual cases, we must be fair and consistent and act in the best interests of the public who we serve.”

Viper Rooms is no more.

The closure of the Viper Rooms means two of the four commercial units in the Royal Baths, which North Yorkshire County Council bought off Harrogate Borough Council for £9 million in 2018, are now empty.

The  JD Wetherspoon pub and the Royal Baths Chinese Restaurant continue to trade. Mr Fielding said the Viper Rooms site had already generated “significant interest from potential tenants” and a “new agreement for the final one is in the final stages of negotiations”.

So what about Harrogate’s nightclub scene? In its social media post announcing Viper Rooms’ closure, the owners said they would release a “new venue announcement soon”.

But with so many pubs and bars staying open late these says, nightclubs no longer mean as much to many young people.

Have they become an inevitable victim of social trends, or is Harrogate’s nightclub scene set for a revival? The next year should provide some answers.


Read more:


 

Harrogate nightclub Viper Rooms closes suddenly

Harrogate’s only nightclub the Viper Rooms has announced its sudden closure tonight.

The Viper Room’s owner, Paul Kinsey, said the landlord had taken possession of the venue after they failed to negotiate a new lease.

Around 30 staff work at the venue and have lost their jobs, while all Christmas parties booked will be unable to go ahead.

The following announcement was posted on social media this evening:

“It is with great sadness that I have to announce the immediate closure of the Viper Rooms after 15 years.

“Having tried for nearly 3 years to negotiate a new lease with our landlord in good faith and after spending £350,000 refurbishing the club in 2019 they have taken possession of the site.

“We would like to thank all of our loyal team members and entertainers who have entertained the town since 2007.”

The post went onto say that Mr Kinsey would release a “new venue announcement soon”.

This is a breaking news story.

McColl’s store in Harrogate set to close

A McColl’s in Harrogate is among more than 100 of the convenience stores set to close.

The news comes after Morrisons completed the acquisition of McColl’s from administration last week.

Morrisons said in a statement it now plans to close 132 McColl’s, including the Otley Road store at Harlow Chase. About 1,300 jobs nationally are at risk.

The Stray Ferret visited the Otley Road shop this afternoon and was told it was still trading for the time being. The member of staff said she was the only person employed there and was awaiting further details.

There are currently 1,164 McColl’s stores trading, 286 of which are Morrisons Dailys.

The company said it planned to convert “the substantial majority” of McColl’s stores to Morrisons Dailys within the next two to three years but it plans to sell 28 stores and close 132 others.

It said:

“A number of McColl’s stores have been loss-making for some time and although some of these stores will be able to return to profitability over time, there are 132 stores where there is no realistic prospect of achieving a breakeven position in the medium term.

“The majority of these 132 stores will now be closed in an orderly fashion over the remainder of the year.

“Regrettably this means that around 1,300 McColl’s colleagues will be placed at risk of redundancy. Every affected colleague however will be offered alternative employment at a nearby McColl’s store, Morrisons store, logistics operation or foodmaking centre.”

Of the 132 stores to close, 55 include a Post Office counter. Morrisons will delay the closure of these stores until next year to allow them to serve communities over Christmas.


Read more:


 

Council to explore ‘alternative educational uses’ for Woodfield school

North Yorkshire County Council has said it will consider “alternative educational uses” for Woodfield Community Primary School‘s buildings after it closes.

Councillors confirmed this week the 56-year-old Bilton school will close on December 31.

The council claims it has “exhausted all options” to keep the school open after years of falling pupil numbers and an inadequate rating by Ofsted.

But the move has angered local families who do not understand why the school, in a densely populated area of Harrogate, needs to close.

Following this week’s decision, the Stray Ferret asked the council about the future of the site, which includes substantial playing fields as well as the school building.

We asked what discussions have taken place about the use of the school site, what the options are and what the timescale for a decision is likely to be. We also asked whether the council had ruled out using the site for housing.


Read more:


The council replied in a statement:

“No discussions have taken place on the future use of the site, ahead of a decision being made on the school’s future this week.

“The site is owned by the county council and also houses Bilton and Woodfield Community Library, Harrogate Bilton Children and Family Hub and Oak Beck House. All of these services remain open and unaffected by the school closure.

“The county council will be exploring whether there are alternative educational uses for the school buildings. There are controls around the reuse or redevelopment of school sites, and any alternative uses that are proposed will be the subject of consultation.”

No further details have been released.

Fate of Woodfield primary school to be confirmed next week

The fate of Harrogate’s Woodfield Community Primary School is to be confirmed next week after a recommendation was made to close it at the end of the year.

North Yorkshire County Council’s executive will next Tuesday be asked to agree to the closure on December 31.

It comes after council officials said they “exhausted all options” to try to keep the Bilton school open after years of falling pupil numbers and an inadequate rating by Ofsted inspectors in 2020.

But parents say the school has been “badly let down” by the local education authority, while councillors have labelled the planned closure a “disgrace”.

Woodfield School

The school reception

There was just one pupil on the school roll earlier this month after the closure plans were revealed in summer and parents were forced to start looking elsewhere ahead of the new term.

Ward councillor Paul Haslam, who is also a governor at Woodfield, said the sudden death of a former headteacher in 2018 led to instabilities at the school and that an “unfounded slur” on social media then caused an “exodus” of about a third of the pupils later that year.

He said in a letter: 

“The school was exonerated of any wrongdoing and the correct safeguarding procedures were found to have been followed and to be in place by the local authority, as they were at the Ofsted judgement.

“What failed to happen was a restoration of the reputation of the school and difficulty in getting permanent, long term leadership.

“The school did not get enough support to come back from this reputational damage.”

Cllr Haslam also argued the school should not be closing because Harrogate’s population is growing and it had made good progress since the inadequate rating in January 2020.


Read more:


But a report to Tuesday’s meeting said government legislation requires the school to close unless an academy sponsor can be found. Any school rated as inadequate is required to become part of an academy, but Woodfield has failed to find one to secure its future.

The school had also held merger talks with the nearby Grove Road Community Primary School, but these fell through.

If approved, the closure will mean the Woodfield catchment area will be shared with Grove Road and Bilton Grange Primary School.

The school’s debts, which were forecast to reach almost £100,000 by the end of 2022/23, will be absorbed by the council.

Royal British Legion’s Nidderdale branch in danger of closure

The Royal British Legion Nidderdale branch could close after 96 years.

The branch, which covers Pateley Bridge, Summerbridge and nearby villages, was founded in 1926.

But membership has dwindled to below 20 and the current officers, who are in their 80s, plan to step down at the end of this year.

Paul Darley, who is on the Royal British Legion’s county committee for north and east Yorkshire, said:

“No branch would mean no standard to raise at armistice parades.

“We don’t want that to happen and hope we can get enough people to keep the branch going.

“Anyone can be a member of the Royal British Legion and and annual subscription is less than £20.”

Mr Darley, who is also president of the Knaresborough branch of the Royal British Legion, said the workload wasn’t high, except for activity surrounding the annual Poppy Appeal fortnight in November.

Anyone interested in joining the branch can email Mr Darley at pauldarley@btinternet.com.


Read more: