Harewood Bridge reopened to traffic this morning.
The grade-II listed structure, which is used by 17,000 vehicles a day, closed on July 26.
This led to 15-mile diversions and added 30 minutes to journey times.
Leeds City Council announced yesterday the bridge would reopen to vehicles “from around lunchtime” today — six days ahead of schedule.

Work being completed on the bridge.
But reader Alex Van Zeller, who as a cyclist has still been able to use the bridge, sent us photos showing the bridge fully open at 6.45am this morning.
The bridge over the River Wharfe on the A61 is a main route between Harrogate and Leeds.
Leeds City Council closed it for waterproofing, resurfacing and footpath repair work. The footway across the bridge remained open to pedestrians and cyclists.
Read more:
- Harewood Bridge set to reopen early?
- Lib Dem candidate accuses Tories of overseeing Harrogate Station Gateway ‘fiasco’
Harewood Bridge set to reopen early?
Harewood Bridge near Harrogate could re-open earlier than expected after undergoing essential maintenance.
The grade-II listed structure, which is used by 17,000 vehicles a day, closed on July 26 and is due to reopen on August 24.
Its closure has led to 15-mile diversions and added 30 minutes to journey times.
The Stray Ferret contacted Leeds City Council today after hearing unofficial reports work was ahead of schedule and the bridge was on course to reopen a week early.
The council refused to rule out an early reopening but said nothing has been decided yet.
A spokesperson said:
“We are confident works to Harewood Bridge will be completed by the programmes original completion date of August 24 at the latest, subject to good weather and ground conditions.
“Should the work be completed ahead of this date this will be communicated. We would like to continue to thank people for their patience and apologise for any disruption to their journeys.”
Read more:
- Harewood Bridge to be closed for four weeks from this week
- Harrogate Bus Company places £21m order for 39 electric buses
The bridge over the River Wharfe on the A61 is a main route between Harrogate and Leeds.
Leeds City Council closed it for waterproofing, resurfacing and footpath repair work. The footway across the bridge has remained open to pedestrians and cyclists.
Boroughbridge butchers announces closure amid running cost concernA Boroughbridge butchers has announced it will close due to the cost of running the firm.
Fryer’s Butchers, which is based on Horsefair in the town, opened last year.
However, in a statement posted on social media, the business said it will close this Saturday because the costs of running the business have become unsustainable.
It said:
“It’s not been a decision we’ve taken lightly.
“We always knew it was going to be a challenge when opening, due to the situation globally and nationally and unfortunately the cost of running the business has gotten the best of us this time and it’s not sustainable.”
The business added:
“Thank you to all of our wonderful customers for your support and we’re sorry we couldn’t continue to serve the wonderful community that is Boroughbridge any longer.”
Read more:
- Knaresborough’s ex-crime commissioner sells marketing firm
- Knaresborough gears up for its biggest day of the year
Harewood Bridge to be closed for repairs for four weeks
Harewood Bridge near Harrogate will close for four weeks this summer.
The bridge will close from July 26 until August 24 for essential maintenance work to be carried out.
The grade-II listed structure carries the A61 Harrogate Road over the River Wharfe and is a busy route between Harrogate and Leeds.
Leeds City Council is closing the bridge to carry out waterproofing, resurfacing and footpath repair works.
Cllr Helen Hayden, the council’s executive member for infrastructure and climate, said:
“Harewood Bridge is a strategic vehicle crossing used by thousands of people each day and therefore to close it requires careful planning. By carrying out the repair works during the school summer holidays we can hopefully limit the disruption with expected lower traffic levels.
“We apologise in advance for the potential disruption and ask road users for their patience. The works are essential for the long-term maintenance of this vital crossing between Harrogate and Leeds.
“We would please like to urge motorists to plan their journey in advance, follow the signed diversion and allow a bit of extra time for their travel.”
The footway across the bridge will remain open throughout the work.
A diversion route will be in place during the work from Otley Road, Arthington Lane, Main Street, Pool Bridge, Harrogate Road, Swindon Lane and onto Harrogate Road.
The same route will be in place in the opposite direction.
Read more:
- North Yorkshire Council to axe YorBus service
- North Yorkshire bus funding ‘cannot continue in perpetuity’, warns senior councillor
- Traffic order issued to close part of Harrogate’s James Street to vehicles
Harrogate village school to close this summer, councillors agree
A primary school between Ripon and Boroughbridge will close this summer due to a decline in pupil numbers, North Yorkshire Council has decided.
Skelton Newby Hall Primary School will shut for good after the council’s executive members approved the move yesterday (Tuesday, May 30).
The school has suffered from dwindling numbers of children for several years and in autumn 2022 had nine pupils on its roll.
By February 2023, just one pupil remained at the school, and all teaching was taking place at Sharow Church of England Primary School, which is federated with Skelton Newby Hall.
Ofsted inspectors last visited the school in March 2020, grading it as “requiring improvement”.
A consultation on the proposed closure was carried out by North Yorkshire Council to allow parents, teachers, governors and local people an opportunity to share their views. A further statutory representation period ended on April 27. Following yesterday’s decision, the school will close on August 31.
The area formerly served by Skelton Newby Hall will now fall within the catchment area of Kirby Hill Church of England Primary School, just north of Boroughbridge.
North Yorkshire Council’s executive member for education, learning and skills, Cllr Annabel Wilkinson, said:
“North Yorkshire Council does everything possible to support our small schools. However, our priority must be the children’s education and that it remains fit for purpose to give them the best start to their lives.
“Unfortunately, falling pupil numbers at Skelton Newby Hall Primary School have been a concern for quite some time. Pupil numbers determine the school budget and we have a duty to ensure every child has the best possible opportunity to succeed.
“The school’s governing body, staff and parents have been active in their collective efforts to raise numbers at the school over recent years, but pupil numbers have continued to fall.”
Cllr Wilkinson added:
“To close the school has been an incredibly difficult decision to make, but we have to put the education of pupils first.”
North Yorkshire has about 50 schools and academies with fewer than 50 pupils. North Yorkshire Council said it would “continue to lobby the Government strongly for fairer funding for the county’s schools”.
Read more:
- Ripon MP backs villagers’ £250,000 campaign to buy Skelton-On-Ure pub
- ‘Badly let down’ Woodfield school closure confirmed
- Boulder installed at Skelton Primary School
‘Staff issues’ forces Killinghall surgery to reduce hours
A village doctors’ surgery near Harrogate is to temporarily close on afternoons due to “staff issues”.
The Killinghall practice is one of three operated by Moss Healthcare Harrogate, which also has sites on King’s Road in Harrogate and in Jennyfields.
It announced on social media the practice on Ripon Road in Killinghall would be affected from next week. It said:
“Please can all patients note that due to staffing issues, from Tuesday 30 May we will be having to temporarily close our Killinghall branch site in the afternoon from 1pm onwards.
“During this time, if you need any assistance then please call: 01423 560261 or visit our King’s Road or Jennyfield Health Centre sites.
“We apologise for any inconvenience caused.”
Read more:
- Harrogate hospital pledges to maintain services amid junior doctors’ strike
- Harrogate knee surgeon’s breakthrough gains national interest
Ripon car dealership to close after Fiat restructure
A Ripon car dealership is set to close its doors at the end of the month after the manufacturer decided to pull out of the city.
Piccadilly Motors will close its branch in Dallamires Lane on Friday, April 28 after receiving notice that Fiat was ending its franchise agreement.
Customers have been invited to use the company’s sister site on Boroughbridge Road, Knaresborough, which will continue to trade as a Kia dealership as well as offering serving for Fiat, Abarth and Alfa cars.
The Knaresborough branch is less than 10 miles away from Ripon, and the Piccadilly team said it has introduced extra support for customers travelling from the Ripon area, including more courtesy cars.
Managing director Simon Watts told the Stray Ferret:
“We have managed this carefully and because of the growth of the business we have in Knaresborough, most customers have already migrated to the Kia product and we’re also doing Fiat for servicing at Knaresborough, as well as MOTs.
“It’s the same with staff. We’ve really handled that in the most sympathetic manner we could. Fortunately, only one person will lose their job, who doesn’t want to travel, but they’ve managed to get another job elsewhere.
“It has been an absolute priority for us to handle it in the most customer- and colleague-friendly manner.”
Mr Watts said the company had looked to find another manufacturer to bring to its Ripon branch, but in a challenging market it had not been possible.
Demand for used cars is high in the UK, leading to low supply for dealerships. The looming prospect of changing legislation over sales of petrol and diesel cars is also having an impact, as manufacturers work to deliver more electric vehicles in time for the 2030 cut-off.
Fiat has only been selling the 500 model, Mr Watts said, and the low volume of sales had led it to restructure its network. He added:
“It’s disappointing, but thankfully we’ve got a business in close proximity that can carry on providing a service.”
Read more:
Leon to close today in Harrogate
Leon in Harrogate is due to close at 8pm today.
It will mark the end of an ill-fated nine-month venture by the fast food chain, which employed about 20 people on Wetherby Road.
The final meals will be served at 8pm unless supplies run out sooner.
The site is operated by EG Group, which has a chain of forecourts across the country.
They include franchise partners such as Starbucks, Greggs and KFC.
EG Group considered opening a Starbucks on Wetherby Road before opting for Leon instead.
There is speculation it will now revert to its plans for a Starbucks, but the company has not replied to the Stray Ferret’s enquiries about its plans.
Read more:
NHS places to be lost as Ripon dental practice closure announced
A dental practice offering NHS care in Ripon is set to close in three months’ time.
Bupa’s practice on Finkle Street will shut its doors on June 30, with the national company citing a lack of dentists to provide care.
The Finkle Street branch has provided NHS and private dental care. The Bupa Clock Tower practice in North Parade is unaffected, as are Harrogate’s Raglan Suite and Bupa Dental Care in East Parade – but none of these is accepting new adult NHS patients.
Finkle Street is one of 85 across the country to be closed, sold or merged over the coming months. As well as problems with recruiting, Bupa said rising costs influenced its decision.
Bupa Dental Care general manager Mark Allen said:
“As a leading dental provider in the UK, our priority must be to enable patients to receive the care they need.
“For the majority of affected practices, this decision will allow commissioners to procure local providers for the NHS contract, tailoring services and investment to the needs of the local community, thereby providing a better opportunity for patients to continue access to NHS dental services.”
Bupa said it will hand back its dental contract in Ripon to the NHS, allowing commissioners to find a new provider for NHS dental services.
Read more:
- ‘Shocking’ lack of NHS dentists in Harrogate and Knaresborough raised in Parliament
- ‘Radical reform’ needed for North Yorkshire NHS dentists, says councillor
However, the issue of NHS provision has already raised concerns in the Harrogate district.
It was raised in the House of Commons last month when Daisy Cooper, MP for for St Albans, said only half of children in North Yorkshire had seen an NHS dentist last year.
Last month, the chairman of North Yorkshire County Council’s health scrutiny committee, Cllr Andrew Lee, said he had raised the issue of NHS dental access in the county with the government.
The NHS website does not list any practices in the Harrogate district as accepting new adult patients for NHS treatment. Only two – Bupa’s Clock Tower in Ripon and Boroughbridge Dental Centre – are shown as taking new patients aged under 18 on the NHS.
Previously known as Oasis Dental Care, the Finkle Street practice had five surgeries and employed six dentists, a hygienist, seven dental nurses, a practice manager and two receptionists when the Care Quality Commission last inspected in 2016.
Bupa has not confirmed how many jobs will be lost as a result of the closure, but said it would redeploy staff “where possible”.
Mr Allen added:
Harrogate fast food restaurant Leon to close“We fully understand the impact today’s decision has on our patients and our people within these practices. This decision has not been taken lightly and closure is a last resort.
“Despite our continued efforts, the dental industry is facing a number of significant and systemic challenges that are placing additional pressure on providing patient care, in particular recruiting dentists to deliver NHS dental care.
“This decision enables us to focus our efforts on high-quality, continued sustainable care for patients across our wider portfolio.”
Harrogate fast food venue Leon is to close — just nine months after opening.
The Mediterranean-inspired drive-thru and restaurant opened on Wetherby Road at the end of June.
There were concerns that having a drive-thru close to the junction of Wetherby Road and Hookstone Drive would cause traffic problems.
But they failed to materialise and staff were informed yesterday the site will close on April 2.
A source, who asked not to be named, said:
“It is purely down to low sales to my knowledge, it has never been as busy as you would expect a new restaurant to be.”
About 20 staff, most of whom are part-time, are affected by the news. The source added:
“There was some discussion about other job roles in the EG group, which owns Leon, but it wasn’t clear exactly what would happen.”
Leon’s closure will prompt speculation about the future of the site.
EG Group had considered opening a Starbucks on the site and may be tempted to revive those plans.
EG Group is the UK’s largest operator of KFC, Greggs and Starbucks franchises.
It has transformed the derelict former dentist site and installed electric vehicle charging points. There is a large car parking area.
The Stray Ferret has approached Leon for comment.
Read more:
- Harrogate’s Leon drive-thru to open on Friday
- Arson at Harrogate’s Kimberley Hotel: police appeal for witnesses