Harrogate District Hospital still has more coronavirus patients than during the peak of the first wave but the number has started to drop sharply.
It was revealed at the weekly North Yorkshire coronavirus media briefing today the hospital had 48 coronavirus patients yesterday. Last week there were 65, only a couple away from the record number of 67.
The hospital is the only one in North Yorkshire treating more patients than during the first wave but the situation appears to be heading in the right direction.
It was also revealed today that one more person died at the hospital after testing positive for coronavirus. The latest death, which happened on Sunday, brings the total to 156.
Read more:
- Harrogate district vaccine boost as over 50s prepare for jab
- North Yorkshire police prepare for ‘influx of visitors’ as lockdown eases
The Stray Ferret asked today’s briefing whether public health officials were concerned about the high number of patients shortly before lockdown measures ease.
Amanda Bloor, accountable officer for North Yorkshire Clinical Commissioning Group, said in response:
“Last week one of my colleagues reported that the numbers had not come down but they have dropped this week from 67 to 48.
“They are still higher than the first wave so we are keeping an eye on it but in terms of the lockdown easing, that is obviously a national decision.
“But we are pleased that the number of coronavirus patients in Harrogate is starting to come down.”
Public Health England confirmed another 13 covid cases in the Harrogate district today.
The district now has a seven-day rate of infection of 89 people per 100,000, which is just above the North Yorkshire average of 83 but below the England average of 117.
Coronavirus surge forces Harrogate hospital to postpone surgeriesHarrogate District Hospital has announced it is to postpone some non-emergency surgeries to free up space and staff to deal with coronavirus patients.
There are currently 46 coronavirus inpatients in the hospital — more than double the figure of 19 just a week ago.
The hospital has said previously it has the capacity to care for up to 100 coronavirus patients. But this is only possible if the hospital frees non-covid wards.
It is not clear yet how many appointments will be affected by the news.
Read more:
- Parts of Harrogate district miss out on vaccine centre pledge
- No plans to close Valley Gardens amid concern over gatherings
Tim Gold, the chief operating officer at Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust, said:
“Clearly, this past week has seen a very significant increase of people needing inpatient care.
“This is placing a significant strain on services at the trust.
“In response to rising numbers we are increasing the number of beds available for patients with covid on wards and in critical care.
“We will be continuing to provide urgent and cancer care during this time.”
Dr Jacqueline Andrews, the executive medical director at Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust, said:
“The trust and the wider NHS remains open to all who need us. My colleagues here at the trust are working extremely hard to ensure your safety is paramount.
“The vaccine means there is light at the end of the tunnel, but we have still have some way to go.
“We know these next week few weeks will be very tough, it impacts on all of us here as people.”